The simple truth about college basketball the sport is relevant nationally 1 month a year | Syracusefan.com

The simple truth about college basketball the sport is relevant nationally 1 month a year

Alsacs

Living Legend
Thus just enjoy the ride and the upswings and downswings.
As long as we make the tournament it really doesn’t matter.
Unlike football where every game is very important you can have multiple stinkers like last night.
Qualifying for the tournament is really all that matters.
The level of play in college basketball is so inferior to the NBA.
The only thing college basketball has over the NBA is passion and energy from the stands in places that truly care about the game.

None of these college players nowadays are close to being developed products.
I realized watching the game last night who cares if they lose as long as they make the tournament.
The Pitt football OT loss this past year had me in a funk for a solid evening. I was laughing at the Pacers trolling of Brandon Ingram 30’seconds after the game ended last night.

Just sit back and enjoy the season and hope we bank enough wins to hear our name on selection Sunday as the relevance of college basketball nationally is tiny and doesn’t move the meter anymore.

Saying that college b-ball isn't relevant but for a month, on a college sports forum, is ... ill-advised.
But I agree, just get in the tournament. That's what it's all about and we're still in a position to do that.
Greg Popovich figured out a long time ago it's about getting to the playoffs, healthy and energized.

I watch the NBA to see beautiful basketball played at the highest level.
I watch college and SU for the emotional roller coaster.

I care about every game. With that being said, this forum, viewed as a whole, should be medicated for bipolar like symptoms.

Unlike football where every game is very important you can have multiple stinkers like last night.
The only thing college basketball has over the NBA is passion and energy from the stands in places that truly care about the game.

I realized watching the game last night who cares if they lose as long as they make the tournament.
The Pitt football OT loss this past year had me in a funk for a solid evening. I was laughing at the Pacers trolling of Brandon Ingram 30’seconds after the game ended last night.

Just sit back and enjoy the season and hope we bank enough wins to hear our name on selection Sunday as the relevance of college basketball nationally is tiny and doesn’t move the meter anymore.

I care about Syracuse. I watch the tournament. Cuse winning a title was my #1 fan experience of all time.

But I agree with everything else, the product is what it is. I get people enjoy it, but it's so far from what the NBA offers it's basically a different game.

Saying that college b-ball isn't relevant but for a month, on a college sports forum, is ... ill-advised.
But I agree, just get in the tournament. That's what it's all about and we're still in a position to do that.
Greg Popovich figured out a long time ago it's about getting to the playoffs, healthy and energized.

I love Syracuse Basketball but our team is hard to watch.
I want the product to matter but it just doesn’t nationally.
The game nationally is hard to watch.
The players aren’t close to developed and the games are sloppy.
They have passion and energy.
The product is just not great.

If the team were like the 2010 team which passed the ball, shot the ball inside and outside it was fun to watch.
However try watching a random college P5 basketball game the product isn’t good or relevant.

When Duke and Virginia play this weekend the game will have no juice national sportworld.
It’s a fun game but college basketball is not relevant nationally like college football.

I love Syracuse Basketball but our team is hard to watch.
I want the product to matter but it just doesn’t nationally.
The game nationally is hard to watch.
The players aren’t close to developed and the games are sloppy.
They have passion and energy.
The product is just not great.

If the team were like the 2010 team which passed the ball, shot the ball inside and outside it was fun to watch.
However try watching a random college P5 basketball game the product isn’t good or relevant.

When Duke and Virginia play this weekend the game will have no juice national sportworld.
It’s a fun game but college basketball is not relevant nationally like college football.

great point in this post/thread is that sometimes were so focused on syracuse, we forget to realize other teams struggle mightily too. there just aren't that many truly good college bball teams out there. even some teams that are good (virginia) are bad to watch. thats because besides the programs that get elite talent, college bball teams that sustain success are ones built around defense.

I actually follow college more than the NBA this year. Sick of the lack of post play and teams shooting 40 plus 3’s a game.

Agree. While I see the point of the original post, I'm still waiting for a Syracuse game that didn't matter to me and I don't expect it will ever come
I wish the games mattered.
They don’t unless you are on the bubble or fighting for a location in tournament.
The sport has little buzz nationally and the product if people are objective is not good basketball. Very few teams play basketball at a high level because the best players leave so early now.
The developed players aren’t as good as they used to be.
Teams also milk the shot clock and have less possessions as a strategy to try and win.
30 second shot clock and 40 minute game means less possessions and now with the 3 ball being emphasized it means we get tons of 3 point shots.

I wish the games mattered.
They don’t unless you are on the bubble or fighting for a location in tournament.
The sport has little buzz nationally and the product if people are objective is not good basketball. Very few teams play basketball at a high level because the best players leave so early now.
The developed players aren’t as good as they used to be.
Teams also milk the shot clock and have less possessions as a strategy to try and win.
30 second shot clock and 40 minute game means less possessions and now with the 3 ball being emphasized it means we get tons of 3 point shots.

Yeah I really don’t care. Probably the wrong place to post this.

I kind of think the NBA is getting watered down myself and I never would have said this even 2 years ago.

I actually follow college more than the NBA this year. Sick of the lack of post play and teams shooting 40 plus 3’s a game.
College doesn’t have post play either.
Also more teams jack up 3’s as well to try and get upsets.

College basketball has passion and energized fan bases but the product is not good. I want it to matter and improve but it’s not.

College doesn’t have post play either.
Also more teams jack up 3’s as well to try and get upsets.

College basketball has passion and energized fan bases but the product is not good. I want it to matter and improve but it’s not.

I really don’t get the point of this at all. What are you trying to say. It’s pointless to watch the season?

Strange post./thread Not sure what the main point is really.

Is it that the only thing that matters to how a team is judged is Tournament success? (How is that different than any other sport with a post season?)

Or is it that the individual games don't matter, unless your on bubble or going for a better seed? (Which is Syracuse every season, btw.)

Or is it that the quality of the game has deteriorated from years past? (How is that different from College Football since their players leave early now too?)

Or is it that it only gets attention nationally come Tournament time? (Ok - but why do die-hard college fans care?)

Or is it that the NBA is better to watch? (Ok - what major sport isn't better to watch than it's lower level counterpart? Not baseball, hockey...maybe football, that's it though?)

Or...

That took courage. Not as much as that avatar, however.

I really don’t get the point of this at all. What are you trying to say. It’s pointless to watch the season?
It’s not pointless to watch the seasonS I am just making an observation as to the relevance of college basketball nationally.

This is the type of thread you start when you had top ten aspirations in October but by February you’re losing by 18 at home to Florida State.

Or you want to lead a conversation back to one of your main talking points, but everyone will skewer you again if you lead with that right out of the gate.

I agree with many of your points but here is what the NBA doesn't have over college hoops:

- interminable season that never ends. 82 games? Teams rest players on certain nights. Some nights teams just mail it in. Intensity is missing quite often. Playoffs are exciting but getting there is like the Bataan death march.

- Fan passion. You referenced it above. There is a reason they're playing music during live action. That way they camouflage the lack of noise from the crowd. Some fans look like they're auditioning for the part in Weekend at Bernies.

- Teams tanking. This is a-w-f-u-l. Only sport where it is brutally obvious and involves numerous teams.

- Super teams. This also sucks. Durant going to GS is bad for the NBA.

- Divas. Has there ever been a sport that has more divas that won't play with this guy or that guy.

- Trades. Way too many trades often driven by $$$ where contracts are moved here and there. Guys rarely stay on the same team for very long.

Your point about college hoops prior to March being somewhat irrelevant is fair. But March is a thing of beauty, blows away the NBA playoffs.

You'd be a good shrink. This is what you tell a depressed SU fan when the team is struggling with mediocrity. Who cares about the 31 tortuous and frustrating games we have to slog through as long as your name gets called on Sunday.

On a related note, the 26 game regular season was the perfect length. Games had more weight.

I am not a SU fanatic, just a fan but much of what has been said is just plain wrong. College basketball is relevant especially when it's your school or your favorite team. Hard to be nationally relevant when there are 365 or so D1 teams! (Really what sport is during the regular season?) But that doesn't mean it's not relevant as a sport. And if it is only so one month a year then so is the NBA and that is really only 2 weeks for the semifinals and finals. Who cares the rest of the time? The NBA might be interesting if they would call a foul a foul no matter who commits it, or keep players from taking 2, 3 or even 4 steps before they shoot. If those guys are so good why do they have be "protected" or let walk their way to a score? So yeah, enjoy the regular season for your favorite team, enjoy the big games involving ranked teams but don't p all over the sport because your team isn't doing as well as you expected them to be