The Stark Reality... | Syracusefan.com

The Stark Reality...

SUFan44

Hall of Fame
There is a strong possibility that this team will not beat a team ranked in the final Top 25 poll during the regular season.

This would mark the first time since the 2001-02 season that a Syracuse team has not defeated a team ranked in the final AP Top 25 poll.

Additionally, there's a strong chance (greater than 90%, according to most) that our leading scorer and best player will be leaving with additional eligibility remaining.

This would mark the seventh time in eight years that a significant member of the team has left with eligibility remaining. Bolded players are ones drafted, and bolded underlined players are those still in the NBA.

2019-20: Elijah Hughes
2018-19: Tyus Battle, Oshae Brissett
2017-18: None
2016-17: Tyler Lydon
2015-16: Malachi Richardson
2014-15: Chris McCullough
2013-14: Tyler Ennis, Jerami Grant
2012-13: Michael Carter-Williams

This is not a commentary about whether anyone should have left or not. Just a simple look at the quality of player we have had leave the program in recent years. It has diminished.

James Arthur Boeheim is a legend and will continue to be a Syracuse icon long after he retires. He has done a ton of good for the program.

But over the last six years, the level have play has deteriorated to the point that the Orange has lost an average of 13.2 games per season.

In no season over the last six has Syracuse been ranked in the Top 10, and the team has had 12 or more losses during the regular season every single year.

In Boeheim's first 38 years, he lost 12 games in a regular season exactly ONE other time (2007-08). And before you start saying "Oh, well, teams play more games now than ever during the regular season," here's a quick look, every five years, of what the number of regular season games played were:

2018-19: 31; 2013-14: 31; 2008-09 - 31; 2003-04 - 27; 1998-99 - 29; 1993-94 - 26; 1988-89 - 30; 1983-84 - 26

So if you were to add one loss to each of the loss totals for teams that played less than 30 games, you'd add two teams to the list: 1981-82 & 1996-97

Two fringe Top 100 players coming in, grad transfers, no Top 30 recruits in the pipeline except one -- and who knows if that will ever come to fruition with the new NBA rules pending.

The team has improved this year, but it's time for a change. The numbers do not lie.

“No top 30 players in the pipeline except for one.”

That was an interesting way to dismiss the fact that arguably the best PG in his class is committed here.

Would you rather "No top 30 players for next year, or the following year, and a top 5 player in his class in 2022 that is no guarantee to ever play a second of college basketball"? What is better for you?

That was an interesting way to dismiss the fact that arguably the best PG in his class is committed here.
He has clearly cherry picked to fit his or her narrative.

My favorite is how he mentions our best player and leading scorer is probably leaving with 1 year of eligibility remaining without mentioning his sit out year for transferring or that he will probably have his degree because he has been in college 4 years.

Carry on.

My favorite is how he mentions our best player and leading scorer is probably leaving with 1 year of eligibility remaining without mentioning his sit out year for transferring or that he will probably have his degree because he has been in college 4 years.

Carry on.

LOL. Narratives. I love those, too.
I'm just providing facts that a lot of people care to ignore.

By the way, Cameron Johnson, one of UNC's best players, returned for a fifth year of college and was a first-round NBA Draft pick.

It's appropriate since the "one" is finishing his sophomore year of high school. To put in perspective this years freshmen are the only players on the current team that could potentially play with Johnson. Very likely players we haven't even signed yet will be gone before Johnson gets here (Kepnang please!). So yes, the pipeline is kind of empty. Especially where it is needed. I said in another post our team is mostly 2's and 3's and that's pretty much what we have coming in next year a 2 and a 3. I know I've seen Woody classified mainly as a 4 and even as a 5(?) on one site. But in the ACC 6'8" 195 is a 3.

Would you rather "No top 30 players for next year, or the following year, and a top 5 player in his class in 2022 that is no guarantee to ever play a second of college basketball"? What is better for you?

“That is no guarantee to ever play a second of college basketball” could be said about literally every single committ.

Tired of people downplaying Johnson over some BS they think they know, already.

“That is no guarantee to ever play a second of college basketball” could be said about literally every single committ.

Even if he does play college basketball, he won't step foot on campus to play a game in over two years.

I am thrilled he committed and hope he plays for us, but forgive me if I"m not writing his name in the lineup with ink.

There's a distinct difference between possibility and probability.

I'm not betting my house that he plays at SU. Some people may think that it is a safe bet, and that's OK, too.

At least you did not say, "Just wait till next year." Now we need to wait three?

There is a strong possibility that this team will not beat a team ranked in the final Top 25 poll during the regular season.

This would mark the first time since the 2001-02 season that a Syracuse team has not defeated a team ranked in the final AP Top 25 poll.

Additionally, there's a strong chance (greater than 90%, according to most) that our leading scorer and best player will be leaving with additional eligibility remaining.

This would mark the seventh time in eight years that a significant member of the team has left with eligibility remaining. Bolded players are ones drafted, and bolded underlined players are those still in the NBA.

This is not a commentary about whether anyone should have left or not. Just a simple look at the quality of player we have had leave the program in recent years. It has diminished.

James Arthur Boeheim is a legend and will continue to be a Syracuse icon long after he retires. He has done a ton of good for the program.

But over the last six years, the level have play has deteriorated to the point that the Orange has lost an average of 13.2 games per season.

In no season over the last six has Syracuse been ranked in the Top 10, and the team has had 12 or more losses during the regular season every single year.

In Boeheim's first 38 years, he lost 12 games in a regular season exactly ONE other time (2007-08). And before you start saying "Oh, well, teams play more games now than ever during the regular season," here's a quick look, every five years, of what the number of regular season games played were:

2018-19: 31; 2013-14: 31; 2008-09 - 31; 2003-04 - 27; 1998-99 - 29; 1993-94 - 26; 1988-89 - 30; 1983-84 - 26

So if you were to add one loss to each of the loss totals for teams that played less than 30 games, you'd add two teams to the list: 1981-82 & 1996-97

Two fringe Top 100 players coming in, grad transfers, no Top 30 recruits in the pipeline except one -- and who knows if that will ever come to fruition with the new NBA rules pending.

The team has improved this year, but it's time for a change. The numbers do not lie.
If we land Tape and Towns, what does that do to your forecast? I think Towns would be a very suitable replacement for Hughes. And Tape is far better than anyone we have for center next year. Throw some guys in the mix for a jump in performance next year. Maybe things aren't so dark.

There's also a search button up top. It's interesting to type in "next season" or "next year" go back and read all of the February and March posts from years past.

After five seasons, I need to be shown some proof that things are changing and not that they may three years down the road.

At least you did not say, "Just wait till next year." Now we need to wait three?
he brought up recruiting.

In our most recent glory days run from 2009-14, we were pretty good at getting very early commitments. Dion Waiters and MCW stand out. Glad we were on Dior early and got such an early commitment. Should only help things on the recruiting trails.

Last edited:

Carry on.
I think there was a pretty clear effort made to NOT cherry pick.

Hmmm... so, what change, exactly, is it that you're proposing? :rolleyes:

I wonder if something happened to the basketball program between 2015-19 which might have had a negative effect on recruiting?

Or is that one of those "facts" that the OP has chosen to ignore?

There's also a search button up top. It's interesting to type in "next season" or "next year" go back and read all of the February and March posts from years past.

After five seasons, I need to be shown some proof that things are changing and not that they may three years down the road.

Shown some proof?

AggravatingAlarmedAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

If we land Tape and Towns, what does that do to your forecast? I think Towns would be a very suitable replacement for Hughes. And Tape is far better than anyone we have for center next year. Throw some guys in the mix for a jump in performance next year. Maybe things aren't so dark.

If 'ifs' and 'buts' were candies and nuts...

Yeah, sure. They'll help. Gillon & White helped at the end of the season they were here, but they still didn't make the NCAA Tournament.

Grad transfers can't be lifebloods for programs.

Yeah, sure. They'll help. Gillon & White helped at the end of the season they were here, but they still didn't make the NCAA Tournament.

Grad transfers can put you over the top if you are close. And no one is hoping that grad transfers become the life blood of the program. By the way, did you see that Dior Johnson is coming up for the UNC game? Doesn't sound like a guy that won't play a minute of college hoop. Oh, and Chase will be here that weekend.

I wonder if something happened to the basketball program between 2015-19 which might have had a negative effect on recruiting?

Or is that one of those "facts" that the OP has chosen to ignore?

You believe sanctions are the lone reason? I have some ocean front property to sell you in Kansas.

You believe sanctions are the lone reason? I have some ocean front property to sell you in Kansas.

I believe that sanctions contributed.

Based on your OP, you don't even acknowledge that sanctions happened. Only that recruiting mysteriously dropped off a cliff. That's like writing a book about the Titanic, and failing to mention the iceberg.

Fact: SU was limited to the number of coaches it could send on recruiting trips.

Fact: SU was restricted to the number of scholarship players it could have.

I'll leave it up to the jury to decide if sanctions had a negative influence on recruiting.

Based on your OP, you don't even acknowledge that sanctions happened. Only that recruiting mysteriously dropped off a cliff. That's like writing a book about the Titanic, and failing to mention the iceberg.

Fact: SU was limited to the number of coaches it could send on recruiting trips.

I'll leave it up to the jury to decide if sanctions had a negative influence on recruiting.
And the lead Recruiter (Hopkins) left after a disappointing NIT season and the sanctions ending. So the effect of the sanctions and Hopkins leaving don't always show immediately but can linger for a couple of seasons down the road, like this year.

Recruiting and player development have to improve quickly, I still have some faith left that it can be done, im not sure I have the patience for it

Assuming sanctions were a big factor in this. Whose fault were the sanctions, at the end of the day?

Do you believe it was the NCAA out to get Syracuse? I would be OK if you thought that.

I'm of the opinion that the head coach has oversight of the program. During his tenure, there have been two separate postseason bans. The first was a "slap on the wrist" with the other stuff. This time, since it was his second set of infractions, they hit us harder.

Ultimately, it's on the guy who won't take any ownership of any of his faults.

Can you imagine that season WITHOUT White & Gillon??

Holy. Crap.

Not making the NCAA tournament would have been the least of our worries.
Not 10 f€£$& games would have been a reality

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom