The state of North Carolina | Syracusefan.com

The state of North Carolina

ECE '76

Scout Team
It has always seemed like the state of North Carolina has a lot of athletes. Michael Jordan, Julius Peppers, Dominique Wilkins, Torry Holt, etc. I think the reason NC State has a 13-2 all time record against SU is because they can build a solid roster just with HS players within a 3 hour drive of Raleigh. Even this NC State team has guys who were walk ons but are actually great P5 players.

Look at SU's roster - some of our stars are from North Carolina as well:
Garrett Shrader - Charlotte
Stefon Thompson - Charlotte
Garrett Williams - Harrisburg, NC

Sure could use more players like this, right?

Josh Ilaoa is also from Charlotte.

It has always seemed like the state of North Carolina has a lot of athletes. Michael Jordan, Julius Peppers, Dominique Wilkins, Torry Holt, etc. I think the reason NC State has a 13-2 all time record against SU is because they can build a solid roster just with HS players within a 3 hour drive of Raleigh. Even this NC State team has guys who were walk ons but are actually great P5 players.

Lee Kponga was from Winston-Salem as well. Still hurts me that we lost both him and Sheppard who both turned into studs.

Six D1 programs in that state, lots of in state kids.

High school football in NC is huge. I played high school football in upstate NY and was amazed after watching some of the high school games down here. I was amazed after working a game in a city outside of Charlotte called Kannapolis back in the late 90s when a kid named Nick Maddox played for them. He went on to play at FSU. Almost the whole city shut down for the game back then.

Lee Kponga was from Winston-Salem as well. Still hurts me that we lost both him and Sheppard who both turned into studs.
HCDB and staff have done an excellent job of poaching a few kids from NC. I hope the trend continues.