The status of #44 for basketball | Syracusefan.com

The status of #44 for basketball

Vshukla

Walk On
This spring I was lucky to be able to attend an alumni event with AD Wildhack and Coach Babers in LA. During the Q&A an alumni asked about the status of #44 in football. While AD and Coach gave a very articulate answer, it made me wonder about the status of #44 in basketball. To my knowledge nobody has worn it since Wallace (I know we gave it to Walton, but he never played for us).
Does anyone know if #44 is “retired” for basketball? If we were able to get a recruit worthy of wearing the number DC and JW wore, I would guess they would be good enough to be a 1 and done. I like the idea of our most revered numbers being guys who stay and represent SU for 4 years, like DC and John. Should we use #44 as a recruiting tool or should it remain a number of (basketball) legend?

Lydon wore #20. Braswell wears it now.
Wes Johnson and Gillon wore #4.
Marek wears #21.

Anyone can wear #44 if they want to. It's not retired.

But nobody wants to. Everyone wants their HS number.

Marek wears #21.

I really don't think they will hand it to any random kid. There will need to be a compelling reason.

It’s a great number with history, but it not like the football number. Anthony’s 15, pearls 31, are just as big and as important as dc and Wallace’s 44.
Bing, and Duval I think, wore 22. The fact is, basketball, unlike football and lacrosse, does not have a traditional iconic jersey number at Syracuse.

Bing, and Duval I think, wore 22. The fact is, basketball, unlike football and lacrosse, does not have a traditional iconic jersey number at Syracuse.

I think Carmelo might have been 22 in high school, as well.

Marek wears #21.

Hard to believe that in 23 years nobody has wanted to wear it, but the recent trend has definitely been towards smaller numbers. Far less guys wearing numbers in the 40’s and 50’s these days. Even 30’s too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom