The Steves - 1927 | Syracusefan.com

The Steves - 1927

SWC75

Bored Historian
I was contemplating which film of 2017 was the best I’d seen and I realized Wikipedia had a list of films for each year. I decided to go through their pages on each year, record what films I’ve seen from that year that I really liked and award a “Steve” to the one I liked the best. I’m not saying it was the best film of that year for two reasons: 1) I didn’t see all the films that year and 2) I believe that “the best” is a collective decision: all I can do is list my favorite film, which is not the same thing. (I never get into arguments about films: the reaction to them is so personal). I’m also not, as some tend to, insisting that these are the films that “deserved” the Oscar. These are not the Oscars – they are the Steves. You deserve the Oscar if a plurality of the members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences voted for it. This is just my view of what I saw and this is my attempt to clarify it.
Category:Years in film - Wikipedia

I’ll start with 1927 – the year the Oscars started.

Category:1927 films - Wikipedia

I really liked:
Do Detectives Think? (It’s the first Laurel and Hardy film)
Flesh and the Devil
The General (actually released in 1926 but Wikipedia lists it in 1927 so I’ll include it)
Metropolis
Napoleon
Wings

But the Steve goes to: Sunrise

I'm amazed you have seen that many 1927 films. Very interesting topic

The General was really good I thought.. Silent film era has some really interesting stuff to watch.

Didnt like Wings all that much,

The Jazz singer was pretty good

When I was taking film classes at CU in the mid/late 90s I had a summer where I was living by myself in a horrible basement apartment without cable, so I would rent movies instead. I'd go to blockbuster and rent old movies... I think it was around the time that AFI released their first list of the best 100 movies of all time, so I pretty much stuck to that list and also a list that some famous director (can't remember who) suggested every filmmaker needed to watch. Good topic.

8:00PM on TCM 2/1/19: "Sunrise" is on right now if anyone wants to have a look at it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom