1. Reminder: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

There’s a link in the top navigation bar for Amazon.com. Purchases made via this link help support Syracusefan.com.
    Dismiss Notice

The Steves - 1997

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by SWC75, Apr 17, 2018.

1. SWC75

SWC75 Bored Historian

1997 in film - Wikipedia

I really liked:
    As Good as It Gets
    Boogie Nights
    Contact
    Good Will Hunting
    Grosse Pointe Blank
    L.A. Confidential
    Life is Beautiful
    Men in Black
    Seven Years in Tibet
    Tomorrow Never Dies
    Wag the Dog

But the Steve goes to: Titanic

OttoMets likes this.
  2. upperdeck

upperdeck Living Legend

I felt titanic was just as over rated as avatar

LA confidential
    good will hunting.
    the lost world jurassic park
    men in black
    face/off
    air force one
    the full monty
    absolute power
    the saint.
    breakdown
    conspiracy theory
    the peacemaker
    fools rush in
    murder at 1600
    picture perfect
    prefontaine.. such a talent
    tommorrow never dies

HOFCeluck and OttoMets like this.
  3. OttoMets

OttoMets Living Legend

Same - I've sat through Titanic once and that was more than enough. It's not bad, but not spectacular, either.

Good lists, the both of youse.

L.A. Confidential, Good Will Hunting, and As Good as It Gets are all excellent. Amistad was also well done. Same with Wag the Dog. This is a good year.

I'm a big fan of Jackie Brown and can't understand why it doesn't get the love Pulp Fiction and the Kill Bills do. Same deal for Chasing Amy when compared to Clerks and Dogma - it's a solid movie and seems to get overlooked. Though a lot of people have come to mock Kevin Smith in recent years and I don't know what that's about.

Gridlock'd has some cheesy action scenes, but the dialogue is fantastic and Tupac was a pretty talented actor. And Tim Roth and Thandie Newton are obviously both terrific.

Might sound silly, but Austin Powers was a pretty clever parody. Not just a dumb SNL comedy movie.

I get the Prefontaine movies mixed up, but they're both good stories. I think I prefer the Donald Southerland/Bill Bowerman one, whichever that is.

4. upperdeck

upperdeck Living Legend

Jay and Silent bob showing up on Flash the last episode was a classic flashback.. must have been before Smiths heart issues?

this is the Leto version with the late RL Ermey as Bowerman

OttoMets likes this.
  5. Chip

Chip Living Legend

SWC wins 1997 because of upper including The Lost World. It wasn't Caddyshack 2, but what a terrible sequel. I read that book, which was pretty good. And while I realize movies often don't = books, I think about 1% of the book made it into the movie.

I like Titanic. But it could have been about 45 minutes shorter. Thought they did a great job portraying the class differences among the passengers, as well as the horror of the sinking ship (spoiler alert).

LA Confidential is probably my favorite of that year.

OttoMets likes this.