seabiscuit.. cant get enough horse racing movies
out of time
paycheck
timeline
the haunted mansion
shanghai knights
daredevil

No ROTK?

I assume you mean Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I didn't care for the LOR films. I found them over-wrought and lacking in the humor of the Star Wars series or the whimsey of Harry potter. I recall one sequence where they had battled a series of monsters and one of the characters wondered "What Horror Awaits Us?" That summarized those films for me. they needed a Han solo like character to cut through the operatic stuff. Also, I wasn't all that impressed with rank after rank of CGI soldiers. I compare that unfavorably to the finale of "The Charge of the Light Brigade", (see 1936).

I assume you mean Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. I didn't care for the LOR films. I found them over-wrought and lacking in the humor of the Star Wars series or the whimsey of Harry potter. I recall one sequence where they had battled a series of monsters and one of the characters wondered "What Horror Awaits Us?" That summarized those films for me. they needed a Han solo like character to cut through the operatic stuff. Also, I wasn't all that impressed with rank after rank of CGI soldiers. I compare that unfavorably to the finale of "The Charge of the Light Brigade", (see 1936).

Fair enough. Just interested in your take.

... I wasn't all that impressed with rank after rank of CGI soldiers. I compare that unfavorably to the finale of "The Charge of the Light Brigade", (see 1936).

Yes!

Man, this has always bugged me. People love these movies but I can't get past (no, really, I've never gotten past this part and don't intend to) the hour-long battle scene in the second one. Cool, CGI soldiers. And more CGI soldiers. Enough already.

A Mighty Wind, Lost in Translation, and the Kill Bills were good. Elf's cool, too.

I believe The Fog of War came out in 2003. One of my favorite films, a doc about Robert McNamara. Powerful stuff, especially for any history buff.

That's what it's all about - getting various takes.

I never argue with people about movies. Our reactions to them are so personal- it's pointless. There are no "wrong answers".

Actually, here's a wrong answer: those who say that Love Actually isn't a great movie. (Or, better yet, these SJWs who have been popping out of the woodwork at Christmastime and complaining about how misogynistic it is.)

Anyway, that's my pick for the top movie of 2003. Not the strongest year, but it's a really nice film.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom