The story of the last three years begins and ends with the OL. | Syracusefan.com

The story of the last three years begins and ends with the OL.

GoSU96

Living Legend
In '18 the same five guys made 64 or 65 starts. Adams, Roberts, and Conway were upperclassmen and Shafer guys. Martin was a grad transfer and Servais the only underclassmen.

It been nothing but injury and instability ever since.

Byrne injured out before last year. Babers recruit Clark was probably going to take one of the tackle spots as a RS-Jr but he had to end his career because of medical issues prior to the 19 season. After that Heckle goes down game one. Duerig never developed.
Alexander the transfer Babers brought in to make up for the upperclassmen gap quits in the middle of the year.

This year, returning starter DDavis is now out indefinitely. Two deep players PDavis, Froumy, and Red are hurt, transfer Bleich is hurt and didn't get his waiver approved even if he is ready to go.

Chandler who would have provided depth seems to have left the program

This isn't about whiffing on recruits and guys not developing, it's about an huge number of injuries in this one position group.

An OL of Clark, Bleich, Sevrais, DDavis, and Bergeron would likely be good enough to win in the ACC.

Instead there is a FB and 3rd string depth guy starting at guard and an undersized sophomore at center.

Last edited:
I think we have a total of 4 non-injured non-true freshmen OL. Is that correct?

I know there's been some discussion about scholarships, but I'm not sure I fully understand. If a player is medically DQ'd, I assume they still get a scholarship for their education but it does not count against the 85 limit?

I feel like we're going to have to hit the free agent market aggressively, but I don't know what that means for the current players / scholarship #'s.

Couple notes to add

Conway never did redshirt otherwise he would've been back last year
Heckel also had to retire early due to injuries otherwise he would be available this year

I think we have a total of 4 non-injured non-true freshmen OL. Is that correct?

I know there's been some discussion about scholarships, but I'm not sure I fully understand. If a player is medically DQ'd, I assume they still get a scholarship for their education but it does not count against the 85 limit?

I feel like we're going to have to hit the free agent market aggressively, but I don't know what that means for the current players / scholarship #'s.

Tisdale
Servais
Bergeron
Vettorello

Elmore isn't really an OL
Petry isn't really a Frosh (although it's his 1st year in the program).

Frosh:
Ilaoa
Barclay

Walkons:
Kisselstein
Kosciol

Not available:
D.Davis
P.Davis
Red
White
Bleich
Froumy.

I'm going to go on a little bit of a tangent and just comment that I'm still confused why Servais showed up last year about 25 pounds lighter.

He had an excellent sophomore year, never misses games, should be a rock at LT but he loses a bunch of weight for his junior year?
It just seemed like a weird development.

The OL was a disaster last year and he had to spend several games at center so the weight loss wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme but why would an offensive lineman decide that it's ok to lose a bunch of weight? Or what coach doesn't check in with his players in the offseason?

Tisdale
Servais
Bergeron
Vettorello

Elmore isn't really an OL
Petry isn't really a Frosh (although it's his 1st year in the program).

Frosh:
Ilaoa
Barclay

Walkons:
Kisselstein
Kosciol

Not available:
D.Davis
P.Davis
Red
White
Bleich
Froumy.

But WHY didn't he KNOW this was all going to HAPPEN?!?!?! FAIL, FAIL. FAIL

He should have recruited 30 guys just to hedge the risk.

In '18 the same five guys made 64 or 65 starts. Adams, Roberts, and Conway were upperclassmen and Shafer guys. Martin was a grad transfer and Servais the only underclassmen.

It been nothing but injury and instability ever since.

Byrne injured out before last year. Babers recruit Clark was probably going to take one of the tackle spots as a RS-Jr but he had to end his career because of medical issues prior to the 19 season. After that Heckle goes down game one. Duerig never developed.
Alexander the transfer Babers brought in to make up for the upperclassmen gap quits in the middle of the year.

This year, returning starter DDavis is now out indefinitely. Two deep players PDavis, Froumy, and Red are hurt, transfer Bleich is hurt and didn't get his waiver approved even if he is ready to go.

Chandler who would have provided depth seems to have left the program

This isn't about whiffing on recruits and guys not developing, it's about an huge number of injuries in this one position group.

On OL of Clark, Bleich, Sevrais, DDavis, and Bergeron would likely be good enough to win in the ACC.

Instead there is a FB and 3rd string depth guy starting at guard and an undersized sophomore at center.

Nice analysis, but geeez, this is such a tough study and call based on what transpires with injuries. This is the reason a confident 3 deep is needed and yes, I get it, the 3 deep has been impacted. But our OL injuries aren't any more significant than most teams. Coaches normally draft a position like OL in numbers expecting some attrition.

But WHY didn't he KNOW this was all going to HAPPEN?!?!?! FAIL, FAIL. FAIL

He should have recruited 30 guys just to hedge the risk.

Everyone loves Dino the guy, it’s Dino the coach some are questioning. He has definitely caught some bad breaks but what’s the excuse for WR with stone hands. Why are we reshuffling the deck at LB every season. Why have we not had a decent backup QB 4 out of his 5 year under Dino.

I'm going to go on a little bit of a tangent and just comment that I'm still confused why Servais showed up last year about 25 pounds lighter.

He had an excellent sophomore year, never misses games, should be a rock at LT but he loses a bunch of weight for his junior year?

The OL was a disaster last year and he had to spend several games at center so the weight loss wasn't a big deal in the grand scheme but why would an offensive lineman decide that it's ok to lose a bunch of weight? Or what coach doesn't check in with his players in the offseason?

Great point and great ask. On top of moving AS from tackle to center after ONE offensive lineman got hurt. and moving 3-4 players instead of one player based on our whachy OLINE theory that all linemen know ALL 3 POSITIONS! The premise of our line problems the first 7-8 games and the craziest thing.

Yeah, I kinda wonder what's up with the Rhinoservais.

The dude seemed like he was shaping into an all conference lineman at one time.

Was pretty rough last season. Hasn't been very good this season.

Was he decent when he had other decent linemen around him, but not a dude that could carry weaknesses elsewhere?

Just seems like he's had a weird career arc.

In another thread, someone said BC brings in pro talent. Our 5 year recruiting average is better. Whats the difference?

There are many that believe, if you can't bring in consistent elite talent, you can make the most strides with the Offensive line. Adazzio focused on it, and many felt BCs line was best in the ACC, last year. Ours was what it was.

2016-2019 Oline recruit average grade:
CUSE: 84.31
BC: 83.87

BC's line developement nabbed them 2 four stars on Adazzios way out the door.

There are many NFL guys that point to the spread as the reason for overall decline in line play. They point to tempo as a further erosion of those fundamentals. If you can make the other team tired, you don't have to worry about as many exotic blitz's, or as sound play. Practice time may be geared more to doing it fast (not always a good thing, lol) , than the slow methodical plugging away at fundamentals. What happens when you can't go fast? Does the same hold true for other position groups?

Yeah, I kinda wonder what's up with the Rhinoservais.

The dude seemed like he was shaping into an all conference lineman at one time.

Was pretty rough last season. Hasn't been very good this season.

Was he decent when he had other decent linemen around him, but not a dude that could carry weaknesses elsewhere?

Just seems like he's had a weird career arc.

I don’t want to be too critical of the guy. He never misses starts, plays through injuries. He is the only steady part of that line.
He just doesn’t look like the sophomore version of himself. There was a play on Saturday where the Duke lineman blew past him like he was a statue and he looked just plain bad

I don’t want to be too critical of the guy. He never misses starts, plays through injuries. He is the only steady part of that line.
He just doesn’t look like the sophomore version of himself. There was a play on Saturday where the Duke lineman blew past him like he was a statue and he looked just plain bad
Yeah, I'm with you. Definitely not trying to be critical. It just seems like he was going to have a diffterent career arc than he has.

The P-S had a subscriber exclusive article on the OL injuries a few days ago. It's truly astounding how things have gotten to the current day. All I will post in the following:

Since the 2016 season, Babers' first as head coach, 16 of 30 scholarship linemen suffered an injury that either caused them to miss multiple games, a full season or ended their career.

The P-S had a subscriber exclusive article on the OL injuries a few days ago. It's truly astounding how things have gotten to the current day. All I will post in the following:

Since the 2016 season, Babers' first as head coach, 16 of 30 scholarship linemen suffered an injury that either caused them to miss multiple games, a full season or ended their career.

Yep

Nice analysis, but geeez, this is such a tough study and call based on what transpires with injuries. This is the reason a confident 3 deep is needed and yes, I get it, the 3 deep has been impacted. But our OL injuries aren't any more significant than most teams. Coaches normally draft a position like OL in numbers expecting some attrition.

thats 15 guys. We should’ve been at 15 but had a guy DQd and a guy leave. We’ll be at 15 to 18 next year I believe.

The OL injuries (6 on the two deep) is unprecedented in the 33 years I’ve paid attention.

A good number of those happened before the seasons started. It begs the question: Why? Strength & conditioning? The way they practice? Pure fluke?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom