The team we expected is emerging? | Syracusefan.com

The team we expected is emerging?

Caboose

Scout Team
I put a post up a couple weeks ago saying the sweet 16 run may have given us false expectations, and that may be true but... Since the Old Dominion and Buffalo losses we haven't exactly played stout competition, but I feel like I'm seeing a team showing vast improvement on both ends of the floor, especially the offensive end- the kind of improvement that is not dependent on the competition. I said to my ppl before the Notre Dame game that Hughes' shooting is now "locked down", he's comfortable, and the dude is going to start lighting teams up in the ACC. I'm not wrong. He's killing it right now and I love his confidence.

The strategy on offense has shown a noticeable change over the last three games- we are attacking with purpose and urgency. Battle is taking jump shots whereas in the past he would dribble into trouble in the lane. It's obvious this dude has worked his jump shot to near perfection. Carey is improving every time I see him. I love his killer instinct when he sees a path to the rim. When he came in he made an immediate impact in under one minute getting 5 points on an assist and a bucket.

I loved Dolezaj's tenacity rebounding the ball. He's shown an obvious conscious effort at making rebounding a priority when he's on the floor. He didn't disappoint in that regard although he put himself in foul trouble way too early in the game.

My only problem right now is that our bigs need to improve near the basket. We're missing too many bunnies and if we're going to have any chance at beating the Dukes and Virginias of the world Chukwu, Brissett, and Sidibe need to be better around the rim. I was blown away when Chukwu got the ball down low and instead of immediately putting the ball above the cylinder he pump faked, missed, then fouls the guy on the rebound. It was incredible to see a 7'2" guy play that poorly near the rim. I hope the coaches drill into him that he needs to be better than this.

I've seen the 5-1 post and I definitely agree that we need to get to 5-1, but right now my sights are on 3-0, and I think there's an 80% chance we hit that. We're starting to see the team we expected coming into this season. Hopefully this isn't temporary.

I respect your optimism, but I want to see us win some quality games without Elijah going insane from deep before I think we are a tourney-level team.
True. I realize I'm going out in a limb a bit here, but I feel like I'm seeing a team making a conscious effort at eliminating the mistakes that have been plaguing it on the offensive end, and actually being successful at doing it. Let's see if it continues. 3-0 headed into Cameron Indoor. Can't wait to be in the Dome Wednesday night. We need to be loud and ready to help out the team.

I put a post up a couple weeks ago saying the sweet 16 run may have given us false expectations, and that may be true but... Since the Old Dominion and Buffalo losses we haven't exactly played stout competition, but I feel like I'm seeing a team showing vast improvement on both ends of the floor, especially the offensive end- the kind of improvement that is not dependent on the competition. I said to my ppl before the Notre Dame game that Hughes' shooting is now "locked down", he's comfortable, and the dude is going to start lighting teams up in the ACC. I'm not wrong. He's killing it right now and I love his confidence.

The strategy on offense has shown a noticeable change over the last three games- we are attacking with purpose and urgency. Battle is taking jump shots whereas in the past he would dribble into trouble in the lane. It's obvious this dude has worked his jump shot to near perfection. Carey is improving every time I see him. I love his killer instinct when he sees a path to the rim. When he came in he made an immediate impact in under one minute getting 5 points on an assist and a bucket.

I loved Dolezaj's tenacity rebounding the ball. He's shown an obvious conscious effort at making rebounding a priority when he's on the floor. He didn't disappoint in that regard although he put himself in foul trouble way too early in the game.

My only problem right now is that our bigs need to improve near the basket. We're missing too many bunnies and if we're going to have any chance at beating the Dukes and Virginias of the world Chukwu, Brissett, and Sidibe need to be better around the rim. I was blown away when Chukwu got the ball down low and instead of immediately putting the ball above the cylinder he pump faked, missed, then fouls the guy on the rebound. It was incredible to see a 7'2" guy play that poorly near the rim. I hope the coaches drill into him that he needs to be better than this.

I've seen the 5-1 post and I definitely agree that we need to get to 5-1, but right now my sights are on 3-0, and I think there's an 80% chance we hit that. We're starting to see the team we expected coming into this season. Hopefully this isn't temporary.
Althoufh Dolezaj has been getting starts at the 5, he seems to rebound much better from the forward position - at least yesterday anyway.

Have to ask about your screen name? Camillus?

Watching Clemson last night, SU is going to have problems with their big guy. He’s tough to move. They are careless, so we might have some transition opportunities.

Watching Clemson last night, SU is going to have problems with their big guy. He’s tough to move. They are careless, so we might have some transition opportunities.

Yea Thomas is a beast and gave our bigs a lot of issues last year. Might snap all three of the centers in half

I’d argue Oshae was as good yesterday as he was all of last season.

AGREED. 144%.

THAT was the guy we thought we'd be seeing this year:
Double-double machine, hitting 3's when they are there, getting to the rim (and maybe actually finishing), and getting to the line.

That last part didn't happen due to the solid home cooking from the refs.
I still find it amazing - AMAZING!!! GOD BLESS AMERICA!!! - that Mooney didn't pick up a single foul the entire game until it was almost over (and their other big only had 2), while our 3 Bigs had 5, 5, and 3.
Hmmm... :rolleyes:

The teams development was set back by the injury to Frank. He's getting healthier by day and the team is getting better by the day. This team is going to win a lot more games than people think, and some major upsets as well.

Althoufh Dolezaj has been getting starts at the 5, he seems to rebound much better from the forward position - at least yesterday anyway.
Our zone is built that way. The center is often out of position to rebound because he’s either stepping to challenge at the foul line or sprinting to challenge a baseline shooter. In our zone, the center challenges shots and the forwards and guards swoop in to rebound.

Our zone is built that way. The center is often out of position to rebound because he’s either stepping to challenge at the foul line or sprinting to challenge a baseline shooter. In our zone, the center challenges shots and the forwards and guards swoop in to rebound.
Liked seein Tyus hit the boards more than usual as well.

battle , hughes and brissett all at 36 minutes +. so mega minutes is emerging again.

According to KenPom we are going to be favored 8 out of our next 10 games. I prefer to think bigger than just the bubble.

Yesterday was awesome, but I have to imagine KenPom had us favored against UConn, Old Dominion, Buffalo and probably Oregon also. I'm basically as cautiously optimistic as one can possibly be.

Yesterday was awesome, but I have to imagine KenPom had us favored against UConn, Old Dominion, Buffalo and probably Oregon also. I'm basically as cautiously optimistic as one can possibly be.

It’s fine to think that way, but I’m not. I have bigger aspirations if we can play as well as we did yesterday and we’ve looked like a different team the last 3 games from a ball movement perspective.

Hughes and Battle look like a legit 1-2 punch. Marek has been solid. Carey is getting better. Frank had a good second half. Plenty of positives moving forward.

We can play better too, Frank/Sidibe will get better as they play/practice more. Marek needs to play smarter and avoid getting into foul trouble

How long are we going to give Frank excuses? Yes, I see a little improvement but I have never been a believer in Frank and think Carey might make more mistakes but is more dynamic and will make for a better team by the end of the year if we utilize him more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom