The Tragedy of Acting Like You've Been There Before | Syracusefan.com

The Tragedy of Acting Like You've Been There Before

Charco

Walk On
Going forward, let’s not worry about looking “small time” or not “acting like we’ve been there before.” Who cares how others perceive us? And if you DO care, then just know that being all self-conscious and worried about how you look to someone else is probably the least flattering attribute you can have.

Here’s a thought experiment: What if we stormed the court after EVERY win? After Duke, Notre Dame, Cornell, Marathon Oil. Whoever. I’m not suggesting we do that, but I’d be fine with it. And so would every recruit who ever looked at Syracuse. They’d say, “They party after EVERY win. It’s crazy! I want to play here.” And eventually that would just be our thing. And if we had a really big win, it would just be even more intense.

We’d get made fun of by UConn, Georgetown, and Duke fans. But you have to understand that’s 99.9% motivated by jealousy. It’s why late-night monologues make fun of celebrities, not handicapped people.

Again, I’m not saying that’s a good idea. I’m saying the strength of a fanbase should be measured by how much they don’t give a shi* about what others think about them. In individuals this trait is called high self-esteem.

When other fans say, “I can’t believe they printed a t-shirt for [whatever]! We would never do that.” I say, “Yup. And you won’t get 35,000 at a game either. Obviously we have two very different fanbases, so it probably doesn’t serve you well to compare them.” Hell, we can print t-shirts that only appeal to a niche market within the fanbase, because it’s so large. Our baseline level of fan excitement and interaction dwarfs 98% of other programs. I don’t own any of the t-shirts people have issues with, but you know what t-shirt I would love? One that they print up at half-time of a game that says, “6-point lead at halftime.” Celebrate everything. I don’t care, I think it’s great.

I don’t understand why on earth we’d ever want to suppress excitement for this team, this program, and this school – regardless of the form it comes in. I don’t see anything noble about playing it cool. “B-b-b-b-but what if Uconn makes fun of us?” so what? Your response to them should be, “Huh? Oh sorry, I wasn’t paying attention to what you were saying. I was admiring this new beer koozie I bought commemorating that sweet dunk.”

Act like you’ve been there before? That’s what the crowd did last night. Sat on their hands and waited to be impressed. That’s no way to go through a basketball game. Or to go through life, for that matter. Appreciate everything. Over-respond to everything. Whether it’s an SU-win or your wife making you dinner. I promise things are much more enjoyable that way.

So don’t act like you’ve been there before. Because the fact of the matter is, you haven’t been in this moment before. And there’s no guarantees it will ever be this good again.

th

Going forward, let’s not worry about looking “small time” or not “acting like we’ve been there before.” Who cares how others perceive us? And if you DO care, then just know that being all self-conscious and worried about how you look to someone else is probably the least flattering attribute you can have.

Here’s a thought experiment: What if we stormed the court after EVERY win? After Duke, Notre Dame, Cornell, Marathon Oil. Whoever. I’m not suggesting we do that, but I’d be fine with it. And so would every recruit who ever looked at Syracuse. They’d say, “They party after EVERY win. It’s crazy! I want to play here.” And eventually that would just be our thing. And if we had a really big win, it would just be even more intense.

We’d get made fun of by UConn, Georgetown, and Duke fans. But you have to understand that’s 99.9% motivated by jealousy. It’s why late-night monologues make fun of celebrities, not handicapped people.

Again, I’m not saying that’s a good idea. I’m saying the strength of a fanbase should be measured by how much they don’t give a shi* about what others think about them. In individuals this trait is called high self-esteem.

When other fans say, “I can’t believe they printed a t-shirt for [whatever]! We would never do that.” I say, “Yup. And you won’t get 35,000 at a game either. Obviously we have two very different fanbases, so it probably doesn’t serve you well to compare them.” Hell, we can print t-shirts that only appeal to a niche market within the fanbase, because it’s so large. Our baseline level of fan excitement and interaction dwarfs 98% of other programs. I don’t own any of the t-shirts people have issues with, but you know what t-shirt I would love? One that they print up at half-time of a game that says, “6-point lead at halftime.” Celebrate everything. I don’t care, I think it’s great.

I don’t understand why on earth we’d ever want to suppress excitement for this team, this program, and this school – regardless of the form it comes in. I don’t see anything noble about playing it cool. “B-b-b-b-but what if Uconn makes fun of us?” so what? Your response to them should be, “Huh? Oh sorry, I wasn’t paying attention to what you were saying. I was admiring this new beer koozie I bought commemorating that sweet dunk.”

Act like you’ve been there before? That’s what the crowd did last night. Sat on their hands and waited to be impressed. That’s no way to go through a basketball game. Or to go through life, for that matter. Appreciate everything. Over-respond to everything. Whether it’s an SU-win or your wife making you dinner. I promise things are much more enjoyable that way.

So don’t act like you’ve been there before. Because the fact of the matter is, you haven’t been in this moment before. And there’s no guarantees it will ever be this good again.

Favorite post of all time. Cheers

That was an insanely outside the box, yet fantastic post. Love it

lol at Marathon Oil! Almost forgot about them.

Celebrate we will, for life is short but sweet for certain.

Plenty of people storm the floor at the 10:00 mark against Cornell. Only they go around the court and to the exits.

Storming the court after every single win is a fantastic idea. The rest of the country would be so mad.

Don't the "Thundering Herd" already do this?

Fantastic, thought-provoking post. Loved how it was geared mostly towards sports fandom, but also a little about life in general.

Gotta say, I've subscribed to the "act like you've been there before" rule of behavior in many aspects of my life, but this has given me a good counter-point to consider. Well done.

post of the year. Show up more often man.

Here's another thought: If you act like a dork, don't be surprised when people treat you like one. :noidea:

When other fans say, “I can’t believe they printed a t-shirt for [whatever]! We would never do that.” I say, “Yup. And you won’t get 35,000 at a game either. Obviously we have two very different fanbases, so it probably doesn’t serve you well to compare them.” Hell, we can print t-shirts that only appeal to a niche market within the fanbase, because it’s so large. Our baseline level of fan excitement and interaction dwarfs 98% of other programs.

This is awesome. I can't like this enough. I hope this becomes the longest thread in our history until we cut down the nets in April.

Thank you for bringing such an awesome perspective.

I hope this becomes the longest thread in our history until we cut down the nets in April.

You mean second longest. Shakey potatoes thread will live in perpetuity

This is without a doubt the finest post I have ever read on this board and 2nd place is way, way in the rear view mirror. Live life richly and to hell with what any one else thinks! Charco has it right...

Here's another thought: If you act like a dork, don't be surprised when people treat you like one. :noidea:

Most of the "Dorks" sit and politely applaud after a made basket and leave early..

Most of the "Dorks" sit and politely applaud after a made basket and leave early..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom