The Twilight Zone marathon... | Syracusefan.com

The Twilight Zone marathon...

donniesyracuse

Hall of Fame
...starts tonight at 7 on SyFy. This has been a holiday tradition for my wife and I for years; although since Netflix came around, we've started doing our own marathons. This year is different. SyFy is showing every episode in order; including Season 4, which is conspicuously missing from Netflix.

This has become our New Year's Eve tradition. Fresh shrimp, cheeses, a bottle of bubbly, the Twilight Zone marathon, and usually in bed by 10:30. Fireworks wake us up at midnight.

Uh, real fireworks, not indoor fireworks. Damn, I'm old.

I heard once that a lot of the episodes written by Rod Serling that are really good very rarely are rebroadcasted these days, and are often overlooked because of that.

I heard once that a lot of the episodes written by Rod Serling that are really good very rarely are rebroadcasted these days, and are often overlooked because of that.
The marathon tends to focus on the hits. This year is different.

Yeah I Netflixed a lot of it. There are some real snoozers in there but a lot of great ones too. My family is a big fan of the New Years Marathon.

Season 4 starting now on the west coast. .. 1 hour episodes... I'm in.

So what's the story behind Season 4? Why is it never played in syndication, and is it available on DVD?

So what's the story behind Season 4? Why is it never played in syndication, and is it available on DVD?
Season 4 is available on DVD and it has been part of previous SyFy marathons. I have read a few explanations for its absence from Netflix, but I'm not sure what is true. It does make sense that Season 4 might not have been included in syndication packages because the episodes are hour-long. My assumption is that the asking price is too high for Netflix to justify it. I don't know if a different entity owns the rights to season 4.

Overall, I would say the quality of season 4 is good, although I think most of the episodes would be better off with 30 minute run times.

Season 4 is available on DVD and it has been part of previous SyFy marathons. I have read a few explanations for its absence from Netflix, but I'm not sure what is true. It does make sense that Season 4 might not have been included in syndication packages because the episodes are hour-long. My assumption is that the asking price is too high for Netflix to justify it. I don't know if a different entity owns the rights to season 4.

Overall, I would say the quality of season 4 is good, although I think most of the episodes would be better off with 30 minute run times.

And why do some of the episodes look like they were shot "live" like soap operas and others look like a typical "taped" show? I thought that was strange.

And why do some of the episodes look like they were shot "live" like soap operas and others look like a typical "taped" show? I thought that was strange.
As a cost cutting measure for Season 2, CBS insisted that the show be recorded on tape. It only lasted like five episodes and they returned to film.

Apparently,there is a fifth season. Damn you Rod Serling.

Serling lived just down the road from me as a kid , i knew who he was but not really what the show was about since i was pretty young. i do remember saying high to him since he pumped gas at the station next to my house and he was always friendly.

now that i watch these shows i wish i had been a bit older to have watched the shows and been able to have a real conversation about them.

...starts tonight at 7 on SyFy. This has been a holiday tradition for my wife and I for years; although since Netflix came around, we've started doing our own marathons. This year is different. SyFy is showing every episode in order; including Season 4, which is conspicuously missing from Netflix.

I loved the Twilight Zone.My favorite episode was "How to serve Man". I am old enough to have seen them when they first came out. My second favorite episode was called "The Invaders" where Agnes Morehead battles little men from a space ship in a farm house. I actually remember I was watching this episode at the "Twin Trees" restaurant while eating pizza.

I loved the Twilight Zone.My favorite episode was "How to serve Man". I am old enough to have seen them when they first came out. My second favorite episode was called "The Invaders" where Agnes Morehead battles little men from a space ship in a farm house. I actually remember I was watching this episode at the "Twin Trees" restaurant while eating pizza.

The first time I saw Richard Kiel was as a kid in "Moonraker". I went to see it with my mom at the old Westhill Cinema. He scared the crap out of me with those steel teeth. I didn't realize how many shows and movies he was actually in.

"How To Serve Man" is probably my favorite too. "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street", "The Howling Man", "A Most Unusual Camera", and "The Eye Of The Beholder" with Donna Douglas are episodes I really like too.

"How To Serve Man" is probably my favorite too. "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street", "The Howling Man", "A Most Unusual Camera", and "The Eye Of The Beholder" with Donna Douglas are episodes I really like too.

All good episodes. Another one I failed to mention that I really liked was "Nightmare at 20,000 ft" with William Shatner.

I think I have an original signed script (by Serling) from one episode that was passed down to me. It's in a box somewhere that I never reopened after moving 10 years ago. I'll have to go dig it out now that I remember it.

I really like "The Masks".
image.jpg

I really like "The Masks".
View attachment 54611
All great choices. Two of my favorites are "A Hundred Yards Over the Rim" and "Walking Distance" but there are so many excellent episodes.

I recently subscribed to the CBS All Access app. It has the whole Twilight Zone series, including season 4.

It's back tomorrow morning, beginning with the Motion Picture. The wife and I started our own marathon a couple of days ago. Hulu has all five seasons. Netflix is still missing season 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom