The Upside- Boston College 1 | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Boston College 1

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We won. We need wins. In fact, I think winning this game was more important than winning the bowl game.

- JB still seemed pissed off in his press conference that I asked him why he was still going with Benny Williams and Chris Bell at forward when he keeps complaining about them so much. I had had suggested that sometimes a coach will start a player because of what he might become. He totally rejected that notion, saying it’s entirely based on how the players perform in practice. He said today that Benny Williams has been our best forward in every practice this year and that’s why he’s out there. Nonetheless, this was the Benny Williams game Coach has bene waiting for: 16 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals and an assist. And he got those numbers right when we needed it. His 7 first half points were our last 7 as we built up a 36-27 halftime lead. He hit a three-pointer to give us a 49-48 with 12:12 left, (we hadn’t scored since 15:25), a lay-up to give us a 10 point lead with 5:03 left, and a couple of free throws to allow us to keep our heard-earned control of the game down the stretch. He was the best player on the court for either team. If he can perform like that or close to it consistently, we’ll be a very different team.

- Joe Girard was our leading scorer with 24 points on 4 three pointers, 4 two pointers and 4 pone pointers. He’s at his best when he looks to get open, regardless of the three-point line. He’s also got range nobody else on this team has. And he often had 6-5 DeMarr Langford on him.

- Judah Mintz seems to have a quiet game, (although nothing he does is ‘quiet in nature’. He made some plays early and then we didn’t hear much from him for a long time. But he kept playing and wound up with 18 points, 7 assists and couple of steals. The number of free throw attempts he’s had this season is interesting: 4, 3, 5, 2, 9, 3, 6, 2, 11, 12, 2, 12, 2. Is there a difference in how he played in those games or in how those games were called?

- Jesse Edwards only played 25 minutes but managed 10 points and 8 rebounds despite some very physical defense. Remember when we were hoping two guys could total that at the center position for us?

9-5 with 17+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

- We won. We need wins. In fact, I think winning this game was more important than winning the bowl game.

- JB still seemed pissed off in his press conference that I asked him why he was still going with Benny Williams and Chris Bell at forward when he keeps complaining about them so much. I had had suggested that sometimes a coach will start a player because of what he might become. He totally rejected that notion, saying it’s entirely based on how the players perform in practice. He said today that Benny Williams has been our best forward in every practice this year and that’s why he’s out there. Nonetheless, this was the Benny Williams game Coach has bene waiting for: 16 points, 11 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals and an assist. And he got those numbers right when we needed it. His 7 first half points were our last 7 as we built up a 36-27 halftime lead. He hit a three-pointer to give us a 49-48 with 12:12 left, (we hadn’t scored since 15:25), a lay-up to give us a 10 point lead with 5:03 left, and a couple of free throws to allow us to keep our heard-earned control of the game down the stretch. He was the best player on the court for either team. If he can perform like that or close to it consistently, we’ll be a very different team.

- Joe Girard was our leading scorer with 24 points on 4 three pointers, 4 two pointers and 4 pone pointers. He’s at his best when he looks to get open, regardless of the three-point line. He’s also got range nobody else on this team has. And he often had 6-5 DeMarr Langford on him.

- Judah Mintz seems to have a quiet game, (although nothing he does is ‘quiet in nature’. He made some plays early and then we didn’t hear much from him for a long time. But he kept playing and wound up with 18 points, 7 assists and couple of steals. The number of free throw attempts he’s had this season is interesting: 4, 3, 5, 2, 9, 3, 6, 2, 11, 12, 2, 12, 2. Is there a difference in how he played in those games or in how those games were called?

- Jesse Edwards only played 25 minutes but managed 10 points and 8 rebounds despite some very physical defense. Remember when we were hoping two guys could total that at the center position for us?

9-5 with 17+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

9-5 with 17+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!
JB keeps referring and relying on how kids allegedly have done in practice because he knows no one can argue about that unless they were at the practices. BS argument. There are kids that are practice players and their are kids that are gamers. I’d rather have a gamer in there helping the team have a good start to the game than a kid who’s a practice player bc he supposedly shoots well in practice

Not many coaches are going to agree with that. It would destroy the intensity of the pracitices.

9-5 with 17+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!
Benny Williams had a move that could be unguardable at 9:40 in the second half. It was an important basket that pushed the lead to five immediately after Mintz's cherry picking dunk changed the momentum.

Williams received the ball closely guarded by McGlockton with his back to the basket on the right side at the edge of the paint. He made a quick turn, ball faked to his right, then took a single dribble left, with a big step. After that, he was so open the closely guarded defender at the start of the play could barely contest the open shot. I can't figure out if it was the fake that was good or if he just had so much length and quickness on the dribble step that the guy couldn't make up the space created. He was guarded by 6'7" McGlockton, so it was against a peer in size.

This is part of the potential everybody saw that made him a highly ranked recruit.

About 7:48 in this video:

JB keeps referring and relying on how kids allegedly have done in practice because he knows no one can argue about that unless they were at the practices. BS argument. There are kids that are practice players and their are kids that are gamers. I’d rather have a gamer in there helping the team have a good start to the game than a kid who’s a practice player bc he supposedly shoots well in practice
2dnk97.jpg

Benny Williams had a move that could be unguardable at 9:40 in the second half. It was an important basket that pushed the lead to five immediately after Mintz's cherry picking dunk changed the momentum.

Williams received the ball closely guarded by McGlockton with his back to the basket on the right side at the edge of the paint. He made a quick turn, ball faked to his right, then took a single dribble left, with a big step. After that, he was so open the closely guarded defender at the start of the play could barely contest the open shot. I can't figure out if it was the fake that was good or if he just had so much length and quickness on the dribble step that the guy couldn't make up the space created. He was guarded by 6'7" McGlockton, so it was against a peer in size.

This is part of the potential everybody saw that made him a highly ranked recruit.

I see flashes!

Attachments

• 1672586860646.png
    1672586860646.png
    280.8 KB · Views: 39
The question is do we have an alternative at center when Jesse is in foul trouble - vs Duke, UNC, UVA, etc.

I don't know if Benny's biggest issue is confidence or consistency. Some games it just clicks for him. Obviously, yesterday was one of those games. It was amazing how well he played once he came back in towards the end of the first half. It was like a light switch. Like he never wants to get subbed out again. Hopefully this is the Benny that we see going forward.

I don't know if Benny's biggest issue is confidence or consistency. Some games it just clicks for him. Obviously, yesterday was one of those games. It was amazing how well he played once he came back in towards the end of the first half. It was like a light switch. Like he never wants to get subbed out again. Hopefully this is the Benny that we see going forward.
I think the issue is that his shooting form is a bit funky. It is not smooth like Joe’s. I don’t know if that is fixable or if he will always be inconsistent. Clearly when his shot isn’t falling he needs to find ways to the rack. That should be very doable with his athleticism. Also, he can rebound, no excuse in the games when he doesn’t get that done.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom