The Upside- Boston College I | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Boston College I

SWC75

Bored Historian
- It was nice to have a game where it was obvious who was going to win from early on – and this time it was us. It was a long, sad, football season.

- This game reminded me of the 97-63 blow out at Georgia Tech early last season. Everything went our way from early on and things just snowballed. Tech was a decent team, (17-14, 11-9 in the conference), but their effort just sort of unraveled as the game went on. It was the first of four conference games we would win by 23 or more points. Duke had 6 such games. Florida State, Virginia and Louisville had one between them. When a team that can score plays a complete game – watch out!

- It was a “so there” game for Joe Girard, who came out firing and 6 of 8 shots, 5 of 7 from three. His one bad looking shot was a late 30 footer that came after he’d just made a 30 footer. We’ll see plenty of him and Kadary Richmond this year. We need to be glad we had both of them. (We wouldn’t win 10 games without them!)

- Buddy Boeheim had a nice comeback game, making a couple of early threes but also 4 two pointers for 17 points. Coach said he wasn’t shooting well in practice but he got us going in this game.

- I didn’t think Alan Griffin was having a particularly great game, (he did have 6 turnovers), but he wound up with 6 three pointers, 22 points and 10 rebounds with 4 assists. I wonder what he’ll do when he’s dazzling?

- Quincy Guerrier had a spectacular game inside, (BC didn’t have much interior defense0, including a spinning lay-up in which he wound up on the seat of his pants with an ‘and one’. I like the fact that we won the boards, 40-29 even though Quincy got only 5 rebounds. He’s capable of getting much more.

- Marek Dolezaj got to 10 points, meaning that all five starters were in double figures, (even though they averaged only 28 minutes per man, with nobody over 30. He also filled the stat sheet, as usual with 6 rebounds and 7 assists.

- Richmond had a slow first half with no points, 1 assist and a couple of turn overs but mopped up late to finish with 9 points, on 4 for 4 field goals. 2 rebounds, 3 assists and 4 steals in 20 minutes.

- Woody newton again got limited minutes, (15), and made the most of them with 9 points and 4 rebounds.

- BC was as hot as we were early but then clamped down on them defensively. They shot 32% on two point shots, (to our 66%), 26% from three, (to our 52% - we set a school record with 16 of them). We also force 17 turnovers and got 32 defensive rebounds out of 43 opportunities.

- I love the way this team passes. Basketball is at it’s most beautiful when you team is sharing the ball. There were few dunks in this game but the way the ball rarely touched the floor reminds me of the famous “Syracuse Dunk Tape”, which every SU fan is obligated to watch at least once a year. Those were the days but this can be a day, too.

Syracuse dunk tape - Bing video

4-1 with 23+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

- It was nice to have a game where it was obvious who was going to win from early on – and this time it was us. It was a long, sad, football season.

- This game reminded me of the 97-63 blow out at Georgia Tech early last season. Everything went our way from early on and things just snowballed. Tech was a decent team, (17-14, 11-9 in the conference), but their effort just sort of unraveled as the game went on. It was the first of four conference games we would win by 23 or more points. Duke had 6 such games. Florida State, Virginia and Louisville had one between them. When a team that can score plays a complete game – watch out!

- It was a “so there” game for Joe Girard, who came out firing and 6 of 8 shots, 5 of 7 from three. His one bad looking shot was a late 30 footer that came after he’d just made a 30 footer. We’ll see plenty of him and Kadary Richmond this year. We need to be glad we had both of them. (We wouldn’t win 10 games without them!)

- Buddy Boeheim had a nice comeback game, making a couple of early threes but also 4 two pointers for 17 points. Coach said he wasn’t shooting well in practice but he got us going in this game.

- I didn’t think Alan Griffin was having a particularly great game, (he did have 6 turnovers), but he wound up with 6 three pointers, 22 points and 10 rebounds with 4 assists. I wonder what he’ll do when he’s dazzling?

- Quincy Guerrier had a spectacular game inside, (BC didn’t have much interior defense0, including a spinning lay-up in which he wound up on the seat of his pants with an ‘and one’. I like the fact that we won the boards, 40-29 even though Quincy got only 5 rebounds. He’s capable of getting much more.

- Marek Dolezaj got to 10 points, meaning that all five starters were in double figures, (even though they averaged only 28 minutes per man, with nobody over 30. He also filled the stat sheet, as usual with 6 rebounds and 7 assists.

- Richmond had a slow first half with no points, 1 assist and a couple of turn overs but mopped up late to finish with 9 points, on 4 for 4 field goals. 2 rebounds, 3 assists and 4 steals in 20 minutes.

- Woody newton again got limited minutes, (15), and made the most of them with 9 points and 4 rebounds.

- BC was as hot as we were early but then clamped down on them defensively. They shot 32% on two point shots, (to our 66%), 26% from three, (to our 52% - we set a school record with 16 of them). We also force 17 turnovers and got 32 defensive rebounds out of 43 opportunities.

- I love the way this team passes. Basketball is at it’s most beautiful when you team is sharing the ball. There were few dunks in this game but the way the ball rarely touched the floor reminds me of the famous “Syracuse Dunk Tape”, which every SU fan is obligated to watch at least once a year. Those were the days but this can be a day, too.

4-1 with 23+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Great job! Great observation, too.
Against Rutgers, there was a ton of one-on-one from Girard and Griffin.

In our two best games so far, we are getting assists on nearly every basket. When we do that, we can be pretty good.

Last edited:

4-1 with 23+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!
You get a BIG like just for your opening statement:)

We’re up to 27 in the KenPom ratings (we had been 42). That’s actually one spot higher than Rutgers. We’re 30th in offensive efficiency and 26th in defensive efficiency.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom