The Upside- Buffalo | Syracusefan.com

The Upside- Buffalo

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We won. We are 6-1 when we could easily have been 3-4 with losses to Bryant, Northeastern and Buffalo. That would be a very dark place. But at 6-1 the Christmas lights are on.

- This was one of the best comebacks I can remember. I recall a game in the 80’s at Villanova in the 80’s where we were down 16 in the second half and won by 16. This was similar. We were dead in the water at 41-57 with 16:34 left. Buffalo was physically mauling us underneath and beating us downcourt. We were getting killed on the boards. We were 0 for everything from outside and they’d hit a half dozen threes. They were also trash talking and we didn’t seem to have any way to shut them up. Even if we got the offense going, how could we catch them if we couldn’t stop them? Well they got 30 points in those last 16:34. That’s 72 per 40 minutes whereas 57 in the first 23:26 is 97 is 72 per 40 minutes whereas 57 in the first 23:26 is 97 p 40. We got 41 in those first 23:26. That’s 70 for 40 minutes. We had 46 in those last 16:34, which is a rate of 111 points for 40 minutes.

- We got out-rebounded 17-23 in the first half but won the boards 29-20 in the second half against a bigger, stronger team. One radio sponsor came up with a stat: “hustle stats”. That’s rebounds + blocks + steals. We had 46 + 10 + 9 = 64 to 43 + 1 + 5 = 49. In the second half it was 43-25. We had 14 blocks in our first six games, just 3 in the last three game and 10 in this one.

- In the first half the assists were 6-14. In the second half they were 13-8.

- We were 3 for 19 from the three point line and still scored 107 points.

- A great game, and especially a great comeback has many heroes and they are reflected in the numbers, (the box score is mostly about offense and we scored 107 points in this game). Quincy Guerrier scored 27 points and pulled down 11 rebounds. He was 8 for 13 from the field, including two of the team’s 3 three pointers and got to the line 12 times, scoring 9 points there in a game where getting to the line was huge, (we out-scored them there 32-9).

- Allan Griffin, after still being in a funk in the first half, caught fire in the seconds half and this was the sort of up-and-down the court game where a player of his athletic ability could shine. He had 20 points after halftime, wining up with 24, and 10 rebounds, 4 off the offensive boards. He also had 3 assists, 2 steals and 3 blocks, including the one after we’d fumbled out change to win the game on the last possession where he trailed the Buffalo fast break and swated the ball to a teammate from behind. Jim Boeheim called it the greatest block shot he’d seen since he’s been here. (I can think of a greater one but it took place in New Orleans). He’s out of the coach’s dog house – for now.

- Marek Dolezaj had no answer for the much stronger Josh McBalla inside but Buffalo didn’t have an answer for him, either. The Slender Slovak scored 19 points on 7 for 9 shooting, pulled down 8 rebounds, 6 on the offensive boards, passed for 5 assists, blocked 4 shots and made a steal.

- Kadary Richmond came off the bench for Joe Girard, who again struggled, and really eld the comeback. He scored 13 points, used his long arms to block 3 shots and grab 8 rebounds. 7 were defensive and he likes to do that and turn to start the break in one motion, without gathering himself or passing it to someone else. He also had a steal and 5 assists. He made some moves you only see in the NBA.

- Buddy Boeheim got off to a great start with 9 early points, then went cold and struggled with his teammates. But he was a big part of the comeback with 13 second half points. He never made a three, going 0 for 5 but proved he could get to the basket and hit medium-range jumpers, scoring 8 field goals and going 6 for 7 from the line.

6-1 with 20+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Last edited:
- We won. We are 6-1 when we could easily have been 3-4 with losses to Bryant, Northeastern and Buffalo. That would be a very dark place. But at 6-1 the Christmas lights are on.

- This was one of the best comebacks I can remember. I recall a game in the 80’s at Villanova in the 80’s where we were down 16 in the second half and won by 16. This was similar. We were dead in the water at 41-57 with 16:34 left. Buffalo was physically mauling us underneath and beating us downcourt. We were getting killed on the boards. We were 0 for everything from outside and they’d hit a half dozen threes. They were also trash talking and we didn’t seem to have any way to shut them up. Even if we got the offense going, how could we catch them if we couldn’t stop them? Well they got 30 points in those last 16:34. That’s 72 per 40 minutes whereas 57 in the first 23:26 is 97 is 72 per 40 minutes whereas 57 in the first 23:26 is 97 p 40. We got 41 in those first 23:26. That’s 70 for 40 minutes. We had 46 in those last 16:34, which is a rate of 111 points for 40 minutes.

- We got out-rebounded 17-23 in the first half but won the boards 29-20 in the second half against a bigger, stronger team. One radio sponsor came up with a stat: “hustle stats”. That’s rebounds + blocks + steals. We had 46 + 10 + 9 = 64 to 43 + 1 + 5 = 49. In the second half it was 43-25. We had 14 blocks in our first six games, just 3 in the last three game and 10 in this one.

- In the first half the assists were 6-14. In the second half they were 13-8.

- A great game, and especially a great comeback has many heroes and they are reflected in the numbers, (the box score is mostly about offense and we scored 107 points in this game). Quincy Guerrier scored 27 points and pulled down 11 rebounds. He was 8 for 13 from the field, including two of the team’s 3 three pointers and got to the line 12 times, scoring 9 points there in a game where getting to the line was huge, (we out-scored them there 32-9).

- Allan Griffin, after still being in a funk in the first half, caught fire in the seconds half and this was the sort of up-and-down the court game where a player of his athletic ability could shine. He had 20 points after halftime, wining up with 24, and 10 rebounds, 4 off the offensive boards. He also had 3 assists, 2 steals and 3 blocks, including the one after we’d fumbled out change to win the game on the last possession where he trailed the Buffalo fast break and swated the ball to a teammate from behind. Jim Boeheim called it the greatest block shot he’d seen since he’s been here. (I can think of a greater one but it took place in New Orleans). He’s out of the coach’s dog house – for now.

- Marek Dolezaj had no answer for the much stronger Josh McBalla inside but Buffalo didn’t have an answer for him, either. The Slender Slovak scored 19 points on 7 for 9 shooting, pulled down 8 rebounds, 6 on the offensive boards, passed for 5 assists, blocked 4 shots and made a steal.

- Kadary Richmond came off the bench for Joe Girard, who again struggled, and really eld the comeback. He scored 13 points, used his long arms to block 3 shots and grab 8 rebounds. 7 were defensive and he likes to do that and turn to start the break in one motion, without gathering himself or passing it to someone else. He also had a steal and 5 assists. He made some moves you only see in the NBA.

- Buddy Boeheim got off to a great start with 9 early points, then went cold and struggled with his teammates. But he was a big part of the comeback with 13 second half points. He never made a three, going 0 for 5 but proved he could get to the basket and hit medium-range jumpers, scoring 8 field goals and going 6 for 7 from the line.

6-1 with 20+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!
Great write up! Thanks for these they are fantastic!! In the words of Dominic Toretto "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning is winning"...(unless you are orangeinnyc and you take cuse -9 in which case we still won!))))

Last edited:
upside?

-playing man to man to get back into the game.

-quincy

already money on the boards, he's turning into money from the perimeter

also,

many of the starters tried and took the initiative of going into the teeth of buff's defense in the paint down 16.

they had some success but i will not lie, most of the time it looked like a bunch of white guys trying to dance with 2 left feet. i guess if they do it more they will get better, but they sure as hell doesn't look like they want to play that kind of physical pounding game. but they really need to have it in their arsenal.

The thing I love most about this team when Kadary is in the game is that he is always looking to push the ball forward. This reminds me of the teams we had in the past where we were always on the run looking to fast break. If you would have told me that we would go 3-19 from 3-pt range with 2 of those being from Quincy I would have said we would have lost this game by 10+. If this team can cut down on the three pointers and look to get the ball inside they will make some waves. Great comeback.

If this game had been played in front of fans, I would have confidently said that the fans WILLED the team to win. I have often been a part of those comebacks (I thought). Capt J and I would exchange rapturous soliloquies about “energy.” But they came back on their own energy, in an empty dome where missed shots clanged with echoes. Steve said the other team was trash talking us. (I never see this.) Maybe that’s what got their dander up!

I had resigned myself to the loss and when we started coming back, I almost got a little annoyed. I had already arranged my psyche! And what if we made this comeback and didn’t win? D’oh! Orange team don’t care. They just go about their business, doing the comeback, doing the comeback, doing the comeback.

What a great feeling to wake up this morning (and once during the night) and remember this victory!

The thing I love most about this team when Kadary is in the game is that he is always looking to push the ball forward. This reminds me of the teams we had in the past where we were always on the run looking to fast break. If you would have told me that we would go 3-19 from 3-pt range with 2 of those being from Quincy I would have said we would have lost this game by 10+. If this team can cut down on the three pointers and look to get the ball inside they will make some waves. Great comeback.
If you are old enough to remember he reminds me of Eddie Moss Long arms smart a pass first score when needed greatrSU guard

If this game had been played in front of fans, I would have confidently said that the fans WILLED the team to win. I have often been a part of those comebacks (I thought). Capt J and I would exchange rapturous soliloquies about “energy.” But they came back on their own energy, in an empty dome where missed shots clanged with echoes. Steve said the other team was trash talking us. (I never see this.) Maybe that’s what got their dander up!

I had resigned myself to the loss and when we started coming back, I almost got a little annoyed. I had already arranged my psyche! And what if we made this comeback and didn’t win? D’oh! Orange team don’t care. They just go about their business, doing the comeback, doing the comeback, doing the comeback.

What a great feeling to wake up this morning (and once during the night) and remember this victory!

That might be the best part of memorable wins. Waking up, remembering that they happened and smiling. When we won it all, I didn't even wait to go to sleep. I reminded myself of it every five minutes and it had the same effect each time. :):p:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom