The Upside - Duke III | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Duke III

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I’m a happy guy. We got all we reasonably could have wanted out of this tournament. The feeling now is so different than the feeling after that awful Clemson game. We played Duke three times and never got blown out by the most talented team in the country, (not sure they are the best but so what?). it's like we went 12 rounds with Mike Tyson three times and won one of them. A lot of players who had been inconsistent at best stepped up in our best player’s absence and now we should get our best player back and take our zone defense to play teams that haven’t seen it before and we’ll see what happens. Beyond that, I’ll be curious rather than nervous on selection Sunday and that’s all I’ve asked for all season.

- Where was this frank Howard all season? After drilling Pitt with 18 big points he set a career high with 28 tonight. He hit 4 three pointers and 7 two pointers. He also drove past people to get 3 assists and get to the foul line twice, where he made both shots. He averaged 3.9 net points per 40 minutes in the conference games and had 20 tonight. If he can keep playing like this and Battle is anywhere near 100%, we’ll have the kind of backcourt that makes NCAA runs.

- Buddy Boeheim appeared to have been taken out of the game Duke’s defense early but he found opening in the second half and wound up with 15 points. He’s going to have a fine career here.

- Oshae Brissett had an “up” game with 14 points and 7 rebounds against the physical Duke inside defense. We need him to play like this in big tournament.

- Maybe the NCAA tournament officials will let Chukwu play without calling silly fouls on him. He’s shown what he can if he’s allowed to play the game.

- Bourama Sidibe played well vs. Clemson, (when few other Orangemen did). And he had 5 rebounds and 2 steals in brief stretch tonight. He could surprise people in the tournament and we could use some good news.

- Williamson went 13 for 13 but we held his teammates to 16 for 41, (39%). In the first half it was 4 for 23 (17.3%).

- If we play Duke, North Carolina or Virginia again, it will be in the Final Four.

20-13 (11-9) and with 1+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
- I’m a happy guy. We got all we reasonably could have wanted out of this tournament. The feeling now is so different than the feeling after that awful Clemson game. We played Duke three times and never got blown out by the most talented team in the country, (not sure they are the best but so what?) A lot of players who had bene inconsistent at best stepped up in our best player’s absence and now we should get our best player back and take our zone defense to play teams that haven’t seen it before and we’ll see what happens. Beyond that, I’ll be curious rather than nervous on selection Sunday and that’s all I’ve asked for all season.

- Where was this frank Howard all season? After drilling Pitt with 18 big points he set a career high with 28 tonight. He hit 4 three pointers and 7 two pointers. He also drove past people to get 3 assists and get to the foul line twice, where he made both shots. He averaged 3.9 net points per 40 minutes in the conference games and had 20 tonight. If he can keep playing like this and Battle is anywhere near 100%, we’ll have the kind of backcourt that makes NCAA runs.

- Buddy Boeheim appeared to have been taken out of the game Duke’s defense early but he found opening in the second half and wound up with 15 points. He’s going to have a fine career here.

- Oshae Brissett had an “up” game with 14 points and 7 rebounds against the physical Duke inside defense. We need him to play like this in big tournament.

- Maybe the NCAA tournament officials will let Chukwu play without calling silly fouls on him. He’s shown what he can if he’s allowed to play the game.

- Bourama Sidibe played well vs. Clemson, (when few other Orangemen did). And he had 5 rebounds and 2 steals in brief stretch tonight. He could surprise people in the tournament and we could use some good news.

- Williamson went 13 for 13 but we held his teammates to 16 for 41, (39%). In the firs thalf it was 4 for 23 (17.3%).

- If we play Duke, North Carolina or Virginia again, it will be in the Final Four.

LET’S GO ORANGE!
Thank you for your summary...well said!!

For those not there, you could not imagine the screaming every time Zion dunked the ball or made any kind of shot or rebounded. And honestly, I don’t blame the Duke fans. He is thrilling to watch. The Cuse fans were completely outnumbered by Carolina and Duke fans. Most of the Carolina fans were rooting for Duke because they want to play them again. The young Carolina fan sitting next to me was all for Syracuse because she was scared of Zion. Her fiancé, a supposed Carolina fan, was rooting for Duke all the way and yelled lustily every time Zion did anything. I told her, “Your guys is a closet Duke fan. You might want to consider this marriage.”

It looked like we were going to be massacred but holy cow! Frank took over and Buddy hit a three and we were down only 6 at the half. And tied it in the second half! I think our performance earned us some respect. Oh, wait, it’s Duke. No, it didn’t.

Few people in the stadium knew about the trip. I only knew cos a couple of my Duke friends informed me of such. It was a non-issue for those in the arena.

Proud proud proud of my guys!

- I’m a happy guy. We got all we reasonably could have wanted out of this tournament. The feeling now is so different than the feeling after that awful Clemson game. We played Duke three times and never got blown out by the most talented team in the country, (not sure they are the best but so what?). it's like we went 12 rounds with Mike Tyson three times and won one of them. A lot of players who had been inconsistent at best stepped up in our best player’s absence and now we should get our best player back and take our zone defense to play teams that haven’t seen it before and we’ll see what happens. Beyond that, I’ll be curious rather than nervous on selection Sunday and that’s all I’ve asked for all season.

- Williamson went 13 for 13 but we held his teammates to 16 for 41, (39%). In the first half it was 4 for 23 (17.3%).

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Good recap but particularly agree with your point about Buddy. Just didn't think it was going to be a game he could do much in during the first half,, but he showed a ton for a freshman to get that turned around and have the game he ended up with.

the mojo and experience gained from these past two games may mean more for this team heading into the tournament than any win we’ve had (except at Duke obvs)

Lol imagine an SU fan in the 80’s cheering for Georgetown just so they can play against Patrick Ewing
Yeah, it’s so counterintuitive! But that’s the way it seemed to me.

we all know ESPN wants the UNC/DUKE game. maybe they pump in some techno-clapping.

At half time you would have thought FH had tried to commit murder. The guy wanted him ejected for the ATTEMPTED "trip" and have the NCAA consider further sanctions! How many times did Grayson try it before there was an outcry for him to get a serious talking to by Coach K.

The intentional elbow to O' Shea's head by Duke last game was far more dangerous

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom