The Upside - Georgia Tech II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Georgia Tech II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Jim Boeheim said that that second half, when we out-scored Georgia Tech, a team that beat Louisville ten days ago and had a 27-38 halftime lead, 52-34, was one of the best second halves his teams had ever had. It was the first time all year we’d overcome a halftime deficit to win and it was an 11 point deficit. It came after we’d lost 5 of 6 games and were playing so badly you wondered if we would ever win another. Fortunately, there were cameras there to record Jim’s stirring halftime speech:

- A big key was that we made the 12-2 run to get back into the game right after halftime. Many times, when a team is behind by double figures they expend so much energy to catch up that they get tired, (sorry coach), and the other team takes back control of the contest and build the lead back up again. In this case, tech responded with 5 points in a row to make it 39-45. The two teams traded baskets for awhile, then SU made a 7-0 run to take a 54-51 lead and we never lost that lead. The key was they we made the initial move right out of halftime: the team wasn’t tired when we got back in it or when we finally caught them because they’d been able to rest during halftime.

- It was a “many heroes” game as our wins have to be. Elijah Hughes is a fine player but we don’t have the bell cow type who can carry the team on his back. We have to get contributions from everyone. Bourama Sidibe played 25 minutes, (after 11 in the last game) and scored 6 points, pulled down 10 rebounds and stole the ball, (which he does more than blocking shots, which eh did once).

- Buddy Boeheim only attempted 3 treys and returned to his driving and pull up game to score 13 points, including the shot that got us to 39-40 and a banked trey that made it 45-47.

- Joe Girard made up for some bad passed, (4 turnovers with a couple big threes, a couple of steals. And the most beautiful play of the game, a save/rebound by Marek Dolezaj, who passed it to Elijah Hughes, who got it to Joe, who threw a 25 foot bounce pass past a couple of defenders to a streaking Dolezaj for the lay-up to make it 56-53. He also had a late play where he got an inbound pass and dribbled his way past three defenders, then went across the court, eluding defenders until he got into the front court and was fouled. You won’t see it in the box score but it was a spectacular play nonetheless. Joe had 15 points, 3 assists and a couple steals.

- Our star, Elijah Hughes, had his best game in a while with 20 points, 7 rebounds and 7 assists. He made some quick, graceful drives through the defense to score lay-ups, hit a couple three pointers and 8 of 10 foul shots.

- But our best player in this game was Marek Dolezaj, who came back from a miserable 0 for 1, three point performance against Louisville to match Hughes with 20 points. He had just 5 rebounds and, amazingly 1 assist. But he was 12 for 12 from the free throw line, (his teammates were 16 for 24). He scored half of our last 32 points.

- Moses Wright was 14 for 17 from the field for Tech, but we held his teammates to 10 for 35. We also forced 17 turnovers.

- Meanwhile we shot 64 % in the second half, (16/25), after shooting 27% in the first, (7/26).

- Hopefully this team will use this comeback as a springboard to another winning streak that will at least extend the streak of winning seasons and might still give us a shot at the Big Dance, if we can supplement it with a run in the ACC tournament.

15-12 (8-8) with 4+ to be done

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Steve, your Gandalf/Theoden comparison of Boeheim’s halftime exhortations of his team was BRILLIANT! I watched the whole segment, certain that that was exactly what happened in the locker room. Oh, if only we could get a glimpse into that hallowed hall, and witness that battle of wills with our own eyes!

I re-watched the second half and misunderestimated how crucial Marek was to our win. During the second half my daughter and I were praising him with great praise, but it was even better than we realized. In the frenzy of being at the game, I often lose track of what is happening. It’s embarrassing but true. It’s a good thing I have you to straighten me out!

And the most beautiful play of the game, a save/rebound by Marek Dolezaj, who passed it to Elijah Hughes, who got it to Joe, who threw a 25 foot bounce pass past a couple of defenders to a streaking Dolezaj for the lay-up to make it 56-53.

LET’S GO ORANGE!

I was totally amazed by this play!! The idea that Marek started and finished this break was amazing!!
He saved the ball at one end line and then beat everyone down the court to finish the break. Couldn’t believe the game announcers didn’t make a bigger deal about it.

I was totally amazed by this play!! The idea that Marek started and finished this break was amazing!!
He saved the ball at one end line and then beat everyone down the court to finish the break. Couldn’t believe the game announcers didn’t make a bigger deal about it.

THIS!!!

He was basically falling out of bounds to save that ball, and then outran EVERYBODY down the court to be in position for that layup -
which was a very tough/awkward shot as it turned out.

Amazing vision and pass from Joe, and an even better effort and finish by Doley! :cool:

THIS!!!

He was basically falling out of bounds to save that ball, and then outran EVERYBODY down the court to be in position for that layup -
which was a very tough/awkward shot as it turned out.

Amazing vision and pass from Joe, and an even better effort and finish by Doley! :cool:

My reaction at the time:

That was an awesome pass by JGIII. What a great LONG pass ahead.

Wait! That was Marek that finished, didn't he start the play? How the F did he get that far ahead of the play??

Excellent summary, as always, SWC75.

In the first half, my hopes for an NCAA berth were circling around the pot. That remarkable comeback win gets us going again which will hopefully result in 4 more wins to enter the ACC tourney with a 19-12, 12-8 record. Then with a couple wins (one being against an FSU, Duke or Louisville), who knows, that might be enough. It would also be nice to see NC State lose 3 out of their next 4.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom