The Upside - Houston | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Houston

SWC75

Bored Historian
- We were playing a superior team who was playing very well and feel behind 5-17 but rallied to tie it at 20-20. The we fell behind 27-39 in the second half but closed to 37-41. We just couldn’t sustain it. They could.

- Jesse Edwards was great, using his height and long arms to tip balls and grab rebounds. It was no accident that we made our runs with him in there. He had 5 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks in 19 minutes but his impact on the game went beyond that. His interior defense was excellent.

- Buddy Boeheim had been on quite a scoring tear but I’ve always felt he could fill out the stats sheet more. He’s got good size and can handle the ball and pass it. He managed to get to the line enough to score 12 points, tied for the team lead even on a bad night. But he had 6 rebounds, an assist and a couple of steals.

- Joe Girard played pretty well, matching Buddy with 12 points on 4 for 10 shooting, (hey, that’s the best anybody did for us).

- We played well defensively, just not as dominant as Houston was. We held them to 38% shooting, 27% from the arc and hung with them on the boards for most of the game. It just wasn’t enough.

- I wouldn’t mind seeing Houston win it all, which they could do. We could say that it took the champs to beat us. And I remember the great teams they had in the 1960’s and 1980’s that knocked on the door but never got it to open for them. It would be nice to Elvin Hayes and Hakeem Olajuwon get a snip of the net at the end.

- 18-10 and the Sweet 16 with no center is pretty good. We had a better season than a lot of people realize.

18-10 (10-8) and that is that.

LET’S GO ORANGE!!! (next year)

I think this was a big game for Jesse. Despite the loss, it gave him the confidence IMO that he can be a factor without having to score or touch the ball every possession

- We were playing a superior team who was playing very well and feel behind 5-17 but rallied to tie it at 20-20. The we fell behind 27-39 in the second half but closed to 37-41. We just couldn’t sustain it. They could.

- Jesse Edwards was great, using his height and long arms to tip balls and grab rebounds. It was no accident that we made our runs with him in there. He had 5 points, 6 rebounds and 2 blocks in 19 minutes but his impact on the game went beyond that. His interior defense was excellent.

- Buddy Boeheim had been on quite a scoring tear but I’ve always felt he could fill out the stats sheet more. He’s got good size and can handle the ball and pass it. He managed to get to the line enough to score 12 points, tied for the team lead even on a bad night. But he had 6 rebounds, an assist and a couple of steals.

- Joe Girard played pretty well, matching Buddy with 12 points on 4 for 10 shooting, (hey, that’s the best anybody did for us).

- We played well defensively, just not as dominant as Houston was. We held them to 38% shooting, 27% from the arc and hung with them on the boards for most of the game. It just wasn’t enough.

- I wouldn’t mind seeing Houston win it all, which they could do. We could say that it took the champs to beat us. And I remember the great teams they had in the 1960’s and 1980’s that knocked on the door but never got it to open for them. It would be nice to Elvin Hayes and Hakeem Olajuwon get a snip of the net at the end.

- 18-10 and the Sweet 16 with no center is pretty good. We had a better season than a lot of people realize.

Only thing about rooting for them is that darn Kelvin Sampson. Something about that guy I don’t really care for.

I think this was a big game for Jesse. Despite the loss, it gave him the confidence IMO that he can be a factor without having to score or touch the ball every possession
I rather hope his mindset is that with some work he can be a scorer. He has shown some moves in the past. All he needs is strength and stamina. I hope he stays in the USA this summer to work on his game and work the weights. He went back to Europe last summer and with COVID he got back late to SU and was so far out of shape he could not do much of anything for way too long.

Thanks for another season of "Upsides" and "Downsides" SWC75! I know you had to really reach at times, but you're fair, insightful, balanced, with a touch of humor thrown in for good measure. You're a board treasure.

Until next season...

First of all, Jesse is a center, a good developing center. Glad to see him playing key role by year's end. We needed someone to improve and he did. Frankly, as a team SU stepped up. Sure AG seemed to regress but talent is clearly there. Some great athletic plays and nice shooting at times during the season. QG was phenomenal at times, everyone else seemed to get better. By the wat, Kadary can do things with the ball that are pure magic. Hopefully everybody enjoyed the taste and want to taste again next year without the covid restrictions. For me it was great just watching the team and cheering for these guys. I wish I could thank them all personally but this will do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom