The Upside - NC State I | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - NC State I

SWC75

Bored Historian
- SU failed to ruin my Sunday evening.

- Once again, defense was the real issue: we scored 38 points in each half but lost the first half by 9 and won the second half by 12 because of the way we played defense. JB said that we played the same defense in both halves and various people have said that we played harder or smarter but I think the key was that in the first half we tried to trap them a lot and they were able to pass out of the double-teams to open three pointers. In the second half, players stayed in their zones and contested the three pointers. Also Marek got more help underneath and Bates and Hellems had to at least work harder for their points.

- Kadary Richmond is a big weapon against a man-for-man team, not so much against a zone, at least at this point of his career. This was his game. After some early problems with the press, he ate State up, scoring 14 points in 16 minutes on 6 for 7 shooting. He reminds me of Billy Edelin except Kadary does things more quickly. Instead of laboriously backing down smaller or slower defenders, he can get by them with one move. He’s very good at getting off a makeable shot in a crowd. He’s a good passer and hopefully will also use his drives to set up his teammates more, (1 assist tonight).

- Marek Dolezaj as usually filled up the stats sheet with 11 points, 8 rebounds, 6 assists and 4 steals. I’d still like to see him hit more jumps shots. It would help him draw the other team’s big guys away from the basket.

- Quincy Guerrier had an awful first half, scoring 2 points on 1 for 5 shooting. He seemed intimidated by big Manny bates, even when bates wasn’t in front of him. Be babied his shots and they refused to role in. But JB drew up some sets to get him isolated on the baseline and he made a couple of early second half baskets to get us going. He wound up with another double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds.

- Alan Griffin had a hot start and led us in scoring with 19 points, one of five player sin double figures. What impressed me the most was his ability to steal passes. He didn’t reach in and deflect them and then get them. He caught them like a defensive back jumping a pass pattern., sometimes leaping in the air to do so. He’s got a lot to learn but watching him play is loke watching a young colt that hasn’t been broken yet gallop wherever he pleases. He’s a very productive player now but wait until he learns how to play this game.

- Buddy Boeheim Hit a couple of early shots, went cold again, (as jump shooters will tend to do), then made some big shots in the second half rally, he scored 17 points and had 3 assists.

- We’ve lost 5 games and have been out-rebounded by at least 12 in every one of them. So watch the rebounding as the game progresses. If we can hold our own on the boards, we’re probably going to win.

- NC State was without it’s star. We are without our center, (who may be about to re-merge). The definition of an ACC team is a team with a bunch of good players on it who can make the plays to beat you. They can lose one or two and still be dangerous. Both these teams are ACC teams and we were the team that won this game. We’ve to 9 scheduled games left. We can win any of them.

10-5 (4-4) with ? to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom