The Upside - Notre Dame | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Notre Dame

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I was dreading reading the post-game board when we were down 35-55. It will be readable now.

- We are now 13-6. Even if the Clemson game was added we and we went one and done in the ACCT and the NCAA/NIT, that’s only 6 more games. That means that we have secured our 51st straight winning season. I won’t update at this point but here’s a link to my look at the 50 year streak from last spring:
A look at "The Streak"
- Every year Jim says that his team isn’t very good at the press and every year we make at least big comeback because of it. In this game it took a Notre dame team that was playing at 100% efficiency and turned it in a pathetically disorganized and inept group. 35-55 became 40-12. It wasn’t just the 9 steals it was that Notre Dame, even in the half court, could no longer run their offense and wasn’t getting the shots they had been manufacturing. Meanwhile SU’s players, who were playing hard but poorly and beginning to succumb to frustration, were energized with their confidence reborn. Imagine what we could do if we started a game or half that way or suddenly sprung the press out of a time out in a close game. I guess we’ll just have to keep imagining it.

- People complain that Jim never changes his line-up or his strategy. He sure did it in this game, going to Kadary Richmond early and Robert Braswell and John Bol Ajak later. Alan Griffin wasn’t playing well so he got only 24 minutes. Joe Girard wasn’t having a big game and we needed Kadary for the press so he got just 22 minutes. Marek, Quincy and Buddy all played 35+ but I don’t think anybody is complaining.

- Buddy had his best-ever game. He was virtually our whole offense early with 9 of our first 13 points. Then he and the team stopped scoring. Buddy didn’t score again in the half. But in the second half he was our big gun with 20 points, including the trey that gave us the lead we never surrendered. He wound up with a career-high 29 points. He also made 3 steals. Nepotism, huh?

- But as Jim said in his presser, the game turned around when Quincy Guerrier turned his game around. He was terrible in the first half, getting intimidated by the Notre Dame big men, missing lay-ups even when shots were open. In the second half he became the player he was early in the years, dominating the boards, finishing his shots and blocking others. The Notre Dame big men were nowhere to be seen down the stretch of the game. Quincy wound up with 9 points and 14 boards.

- Marek Dolezaj continues to be reluctant to shoot those open short jumpers, (even though free throws have became almost lay-ups for his), but he’s became very good at driving to the basket and hitting twisting lay-up while getting to the line for the free throws. He had 18 points, 6 rebounds and 4 assists.

- Kadary Richmond has also become good at those twisting lay-ups, (and also eschews jump shots, probably under orders from JB after seeing his previous efforts). He scored three of them and made three steals. He’s not been setting up his teammates much though: 1 assist in this game and just 11 in the last 7 games.

- Robert Braswell came off the bench to make some big plays on the press and draw a big charge. He also had 5 rebounds.

- Joe Girard didn’t have a big game but I loved it when he calmly drilled a 30 footer right after Hubb Prentiss hit one for the Irish.

- Hopefully this comeback will propel us on that winning streak we need. Actually, we’re already on one, having won three in a row and 6 of 8. Let’s make that 10 of 12 going into the ACCT. Just win Baby! It’s the answer to all of our – or any team’s - problems.

13-6 (7-5) with ? to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom