The Upside - U of Miami II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - U of Miami II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- From time to time I have to remind people that, however bad they are feeling about a defeat, they should consider how the players feel. It’s an entertainment to us. It’s their lives. Think about that….Now- don’t you feel better?

- We did a lot of positive things to get that 10 point lead with 2:29 left. The box score seems to reflect a Syracuse victory: we had turnovers but only 1 more than they did. We out-rebounded them by 2. We hit 44% of our treys and out-scored the canes by 24 points from the arc. We made 91% of our free throws and out-scored them by 7 from the line.

- Buddy Boeheim closed out his Dome career with a sterling 30 point game. He was 8 for 17 from the field, 5 for 9 from the arc and 9 for 9 from the line. He wound up the ACC’s leading scorer in conference games during the regular season. If he’d gotten to the line that often, (instead of the 6 games in which he took 94 shots and, according to the refs, was never fouled), he might have led the nation in scoring, not just the league. He’s had a heck of a career here and we’ve got maybe 1 more game to enjoy watching him play.

- Before his turnover and missed shot in the final minute, Joe Girard had pretty good game of his own, with 17 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds and 2 steals.

- Bourama Sidibe was another senior who deserved to go out on a winning note. He scored 4 points, had 6 rebounds and a stela in 15 minutes of play and was the primary guy in the 7-0 run that began the second half and appeared to give us command of the game. In the last 6 games his per 40 minute averages have been 12 points, 8 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 steals and 2 blocks. But, of course, he can’t play anything like 40 minutes.

- Our forwards, Jimmy Boeheim and Cole Swider were a painful 6 for 25 from the field but they didn’t stop playing when their shots rimmed out. They had 16 rebounds and 5 assists between them.

- UNC, who we just went overtime, leads Duke in Cameron halfway through the second half.

- We could still wind up with a winning record. We could still win the ACC tournament and make it to the NCAA tournament. Heck, we could still win the national championship.

1646528360065.png

15-16 with 1+ to go.

LET’S GO ORANGE!

Last edited:
Thank you SWC for finding the pearls of the game, not only this last one but for all the years past.
Your 1st point is so true. I have a thread about my angst with the build up of a possible win then the ultimate let down. I know it was probably only a fraction what the players felt. How much Buddy and JB2 wanted that particular win for their dad.

Well, at least it's over. I saw someone wrote that Juli was behind the decision not to "run it back" next year. After what they have all been through, and high hopes that were dashed, I'm really hoping he decides, around mid-summer that he doesn't need to do this anymore. What a hard year for their entire family!

Late summer hand-off to Red, like Calhoun did with Ollie. Red gets his chance, and let's see what he's got.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom