The Upside - Virginia II | Syracusefan.com

The Upside - Virginia II

SWC75

Bored Historian
- Cue the line from Godfather III: The Virginia Tech effort was disgusting but painless because it was clear early on that that we had no shot at winning that game so I just let it play out. It was like watching the Memphis police beating for the seventh time. But tonight, the team played with real energy and seemed to have an opportunity to finally get that headline win they needed and I was into it all the way. It hurt when they came up short again. But you know what? I feel better about the team and I feel better period because I had some pride in the team I was rooting for. That beats a bland disinterest any day.

- Virginia plays with intensity on every possession and I this game, we matched their intensity. When we had the ball, wherever we went with it, a Cavalier was right there. Where we passed it or shot it, they were right there. But, after still another bad start, we started doing the exact same thing on the other end of the court. Kihei Clark, who was allowed to roam wherever he wanted to in the first game, was constantly harassed, (he still had a 12/10 double-double but 3 for 7 shooting and 5 turnovers. We gave up some open threes early but then kept good contact with them. (The Whoos were 6/10 in the first half and 3/11 in the second.) If you want to beat Virginia, you’ve got to match their intensity - for 40 minutes. And if you want to BE Virginia, you’ve got to do that for every game.

- Judah Mintz had another productive game with 20 points, 4 rebounds and 2 steals. He had only 2 turnovers but I wish he had more than 1 assist and missed fewer than 3 free throws. But we wouldn’t have bene in it in without him.

- Jesse Edwards was constantly double-teamed but took advent age of it to pass to teammates, although they only managed to hit the shot three times. Jesse added 14 points 7 rebounds, 2 blocks and two steals while looking as if he was trying to fight off army ants the whole game.

- Maliq Brown had a decent game with 8 points, 7 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steaks and a block but most of that was in the first half. It was pointed out on the post game show that will Benny’s absence, he had to play the full 40 minutes for the first time and he may have run out of gas in the second half.

- Symir Torrance had 2 points, 2 rebounds, 2 assists and a steal in 8 minutes.

- After being out-scored in the paint by Tech, 26-34, we owned the paint in this game, 36-20.

- We had 11 steals and 5 blocks compared to 4 and 1 for Virginia.

- I looked at the line-up of Edwards, Brown, Taylor, Girard and Mintz and “yeah…that’s it”.

- Someday we’ll win these games – if we can keep this team together.

13-10 with 8+ to go

LET’S GO ORANGE!!!

good post, but too hard on Judah's missed FTs. He only missed one more than he should have been expected to make relative to his season's average.

good post, but too hard on Judah's missed FTs. He only missed one more than he should have been expected to make relative to his season's average.

But he missed two of them with the score tied with 4:26 left. He did make two with 1:47 left and down four but the two he missed still hurt. You want your point guard to make clutch free throws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom