The view from here | Syracusefan.com

The view from here

SWC75

Bored Historian
This was an exhibition game so I'm just going to make some observations.

- Pathetic to go most of the first half with no score graphic on the screen. And Matt Park, a radio guy, should be used to announcing the score after each basket, which he didn't do. Steve Evans, the LeMoyne AD who as coach beat us in the famous exhibition game back in '09, did a good job, made some relevant observations, including that we should push the ball more when we get possession. Don't just hand it off to the guards to dribble it up - look for the pass to get the break going.

- Also pathetic - Me. At halftime, I listened to the discussion where they said , (I thought) that the Pace 'centers' were taking long threes. I wondered why their centers were taking threes.
1635383447571.png

- Overall, the game was kind of painful to watch, except for bursts of competence where we shoot ahead. The shooting was great in those spurts. Our size and hustle on defense makes us much more intimidating on that end, especially to a team like Pace which has good players but short good players, (better than Paddy Casey). The press was good and we went right to it out of a time-out with the lead, although Evans said that JB was just using this game to practice it for when he falls behind and he's likely right. Our rebounding was poor, particularly against a shorter opponent. We had too many turnovers and allowed open three pointers out front to a team that proved they could make them. Finally, our free throw shooting was horrendous, 8 for 21. We are no where near ready for Atlantis, the Big Ten challenge or the ACC. I just hope we're ready for LeMoyne and Lafayette. But then what college basketball team is ready for anything on October 27th?

Individual players:

- I was most impressed by Jesse Edwards, who scored 12 points, (on 6 for 7 shooting), pulled down 5 rebounds, blocked 4 shots, made two steals and drew two charges. He knew exactly what he was doing out there on both ends. He didn't set up any post-up shots with a dribble, (who does that any more?), but he showed a wonderful ability to catch the ball, even at difficult angles and either dunk it or lay it in, even if he caught the ball several feet from the basket. Very, very smooth. He's going to be our first scoring center since Rakeem Christmas and Joe Girard, between feeding Jesse and hitting the open shooters on the outside, is going get a ton of assists this year. Jesse will get some, to, as his first instinct when he gets an offensive rebound is to look to the arc to see who's open.

- Frank Anselem is athletic and had a nice trap and bounce the ball off the guy sequence early in the game. other than that, it seems like he's still early in the learning process. He seems to lack offensive skills. there's a clear #1 and #2 at the center spot. But we'll see a lot of both of them as #3, John Bol Ajak has an ankle injury and Bourama Sidibe is now the team's chief cheerleader and none of the forwards were playing the middle before garbage time. Jesse and Frank totaled 38 minutes: 21/17. I think that's what we can expect from them.

- After a slow start, Cole Swider took over the game when things were lagging in in the first half. He started throwing down threes like he a was a 6-9 Buddy Boeheim, then mixed in some drives and pull-ups to wind up the game's leading scorer with 21 points on 8 for 10 shooting. he also had 6 rebounds and 3 assists. He looked much as he did in his highlight film, (see my preview on the forwards). He looks like an NBA player playing college ball - on offense, anyway.

- Jimmy Boeheim also looked like his highlight film - good motor, smart player, can score from the top of the key and hit an occasional three pointer. Good motor. He had 19 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals, including one for his first points when he stole a pass and went the length of the court to flip it in in traffic. Just 3 for 7 from the foul line, though. He'll be a popular player, an Energizer Bunny type.

- Benny Williams has the most talent and the biggest hops on the team. He looked strong from the waist up. He's going to be a very good one. But he's also the youngest guy on a team of veterans and his shot looks bad. Be patient. And don't advocate - all three forwards will play a lot. There's nothing to debate here.

- Buddy Boeheim was in low gear, at least compared to the way he finished last year. He scored 9 points on 3 for 7 shooting, (all threes), before he accidently stepped on a guy and turned his ankle. he didn't seem seriously hurt but spent the rest of the game on the bench. Even when he was on the court, he was just one of many options. We're hitting the open man this year. Nobody has to be Superman. maybe he likes it that way.

- Joe Girard had 6 assists. He's got the lob to Frank down pat. He had three turnovers, all as spectacular in their own way as the assists. he was 2 for 6 from the field and scored 7 points. There will be better days.

- Symir Torrence was determined to make an impression. The biggest one he left was that he should never shoot the ball. he was 0 for 4 from the field and 2 for 5 from the foul line. But he pushed the pace and hustled. He had a couple of assists. He's going to inevitably compared to Kadary and he isn't Kadary. He's a back-up guard. The only one we have.

Great stuff as always. While maybe not exciting but for the fact we finally have college hoops, I will say it's nice to watch SU hoops and feel like there is no way a team is gonna score easily in the paint. I realize this is D2 pace but with small ball Dolezaj in the middle it always felt like we were clinging on to prevent open 3s as well ashx dropping down to help ensure we didn't foul out our starting 5 in the first half.

Watching an opponent attack a closeout and have no option but try and kick it out or get their shot sent back is a calming feeling and feels more like SU hoops.

Always good with new guys to get the first real game exhibition or not out of the way.

Good points about Benny. He has potential but has a ways to go. That's why JB is tempering expectations about him. He is, and will be, a work in progress for 2-3 years at least. Work him in in spots and let him develop. He's not melo2--no one is.

Good points about Benny. He has potential but has a ways to go. That's why JB is tempering expectations about him. He is, and will be, a work in progress for 2-3 years at least. Work him in in spots and let him develop. He's not melo2--no one is.
Yeah, not sure how people were watching that and coming away thinking he absolutely has to start. I'm not saying he shouldn't just don't know what folks were seeing that was making them so definitive in that opinion. It's an interesting team. Going to be interesting to watch how they look against better competition. One thing I definitely agree with is push the tempo -- the more unsettled situations the better since they can shoot the lights out.

You don’t have to be melo2 and not be 2-3 years away. He isn’t 2-3 years away. The kid was great on the boards, showed probably the best first step with the ball on the team, and had great vision for a kid his size. He’s going to be our best rebounder from the forward spot and I don’t think that’s a debate.

You can temper expectations all you want but he is as advertised in many aspects of his game, it seems like you’re just building a defense excuse for when he doesn’t get the minutes he should get. We’re going to need him on the court to win.

A work in progress for 2-3 years is a stretch. He already makes it clear he belongs and has the skillset and athleticism to be a factor more and more as the season progresses.

Let's see how he looks against Lemoyne after getting the first game out of the way.

You don’t have to be melo2 and not be 2-3 years away. He isn’t 2-3 years away. The kid was great on the boards, showed probably the best first step with the ball on the team, and had great vision for a kid his size. He’s going to be our best rebounder from the forward spot and I don’t think that’s a debate.

You can temper expectations all you want but he is as advertised in many aspects of his game, it seems like you’re just building a defense excuse for when he doesn’t get the minutes he should get. We’re going to need him on the court to win.

A work in progress for 2-3 years is a stretch. He already makes it clear he belongs and has the skillset and athleticism to be a factor more and more as the season progresses.

Let's see how he looks against Lemoyne after getting the first game out of the way.
Agree with both posts regarding the 2-3 years but will be interested to see how the minutes play out. Swider looked really good as did JBJ. They all bring something different, which is a good thing.

Center position looks very promising with J.E. / F.A. Symir looks to be like a 6'3 version of Eddie Moss , I am very disappointed with the teams FT. shooting and to only win the second half against Pace 36-34 was not very impressive.

Re: Benny Williams

I've been predicting for the past six months or so that he's gonna be our top rebounder. It was nice to see him validate that prediction last night.

I think there's a 0% chance that he plays 3 yrs for Syracuse, but a 95% that he stays for 2. (The only way I see him leaving after this year is if we go to the Final Four & his play stands out the way Malachi Richardson's did in 2016). JB's been talking 2 yrs & Benny seems very comfortable with that plan.

I think the key to understanding Benny is knowing that his position was point guard before his growth spurt. What we're seeing now is how a point guard reacts to suddenly having the height & athleticism to excel in the front court.

Thing is, he's always looking for how to make plays within the team concept...like a point guard. I expect him to make plays whenever he's on the court & by the end of February will probably be winning games for us vs tough opponents on the regular, even if he's still coming off the bench by then.

Right now his only comparative weakness is his shooting touch. I only expect him to take over Jimmy's starting position in January/February if he manages to start scoring somewhat effortlessly by then. I do expect to see that happen next year and at the same time also acknowledge that he could conceivably reach that summit by tournament time this year.

He's a big reason why I'm feeling very optimistic about this team. I think we will be seriously competitive with Villanova and Baylor and may even win one or both of those games. Why such confidence? I know what Boeheim do when it comes to developing teams & this one has tremendous potential. Very exciting...

I think if he made first shot and FTs, his offense would have flowed better. Seemed to be pressing. He will be a good one, no doubt.

Last edited:
Earlier we heard Griffin say Anselem had made great strides. ONLY 1 GAME but I didn't see it.
He's not anticipating the game...he's reacting. Got to pick it up a couple of notches because Jesse is not going to play 33 minutes a game and Sid...who knows. Frank is going to get double digit minutes.
I don't think we want JB jr. playing the 5.

Earlier we heard Griffin say Anselem had made great strides. ONLY 1 GAME but I didn't see it.
He's not anticipating the game...he's reacting. Got to pick it up a couple of notches because Jesse is not going to play 33 minutes a game and Sid...who knows. Frank is going to get double digit minutes.
I don't think we want JB jr. playing the 5.

Frank did just fine for his first game where he played legit minutes. He did some nice things in the first half and had a few mistakes. There was zero question he improved to me.

His work to trap in the corners, how quickly he closes out and the offensive rebound immediate kick out all show off his growth and understanding.

Rebounding the ball once he gets more game time looks to be a strength for him. He just has to keep working and letting the game slow down for him.

Great write up. You made a point about the defense on three pointers and I see that JGIII is still defending with his arms down. Last year there was such a difference between his defense and Kadary's. I just don't understand why this is not pointed out in practice? Am I missing something about defending out to the arc?

I know it's cliche to compare lefty's to lefty's, but Jimmy Boeheim's shot outside of 15 feet reminds me a ton of watching CJ Fair shoot. The further out he goes it takes forever to get off. He will be good when open, but he's not quite like his brother or Swider from that department.

Swider seems pretty intense. Don't know if he picked it up from Nova
or he's always been like this. BUT I LIKE IT!!!!
He and Buddy good for 35 a game.

2-3 years?!

I thought, all things considered, the team wasn't to bad. 3 new starters, 2 of which are new to the team. Though Swider looked much better than many were saying. Liked how they got Jesse involved it the offense, looks like he's got excellent hands and with his wing span will be a force on offense. Disappointed about Benny. From the hype, I was expecting much more, even the announcer seem to be too. Nerves? Lack of college experience? Seemed to move well and have good instincts. Frank looked like a 2nd yr player with no experience, oh wait he is. Jesse was the same last year, hopefully Frank will progress faster. What is the plan if he doesn't? Very disappointed in the ft.

Color announcer was awful. His harping about pushing the ball sucked. And the one time they did in the 2nd half did not have good results.

Can't believe the comment about Joe being only a D2 pg have are continuing. JB's "devotion" has been explained. He works hard and gives 100%. He may not be the best but he is certainly belongs.

Was really sorry to hear about Sid. Out another 4 weeks is awful. Is it the same problem or something else?

Watch the game again if you can Re:Benny. He missed a Bunny but he is crafty and a good driver. To me that is huge. That one spin move dump off is next level. Kid was nervous. He and Frank to me showed the most nerves. Maybe Symir a little too. Benny also showed up as a weakside defender a couple times.

This was an exhibition game so I'm just going to make some observations.

- Pathetic to go most of the first half with no score graphic on the screen. And Matt Park, a radio guy, should be used to announcing the score after each basket, which he didn't do. Steve Evans, the LeMoyne AD who as coach beat us in the famous exhibition game back in '09, did a good job, made some relevant observations, including that we should push the ball more when we get possession. Don't just hand it off to the guards to dribble it up - look for the pass to get the break going.

- Also pathetic - Me. At halftime, I listened to the discussion where they said , (I thought) that the Pace 'centers' were taking long threes. I wondered why their centers were taking threes.
View attachment 209710

- Overall, the game was kind of painful to watch, except for bursts of competence where we shoot ahead. The shooting was great in those spurts. Our size and hustle on defense makes us much more intimidating on that end, especially to a team like Pace which has good players but short good players, (better than Paddy Casey). The press was good and we went right to it out of a time-out with the lead, although Evans said that JB was just using this game to practice it for when he falls behind and he's likely right. Our rebounding was poor, particularly against a shorter opponent. We had too many turnovers and allowed open three pointers out front to a team that proved they could make them. Finally, our free throw shooting was horrendous, 8 for 21. We are no where near ready for Atlantis, the Big Ten challenge or the ACC. I just hope we're ready for LeMoyne and Lafayette. But then what college basketball team is ready for anything on October 27th?

Individual players:

- I was most impressed by Jesse Edwards, who scored 12 points, (on 6 for 7 shooting), pulled down 5 rebounds, blocked 4 shots, made two steals and drew two charges. He knew exactly what he was doing out there on both ends. He didn't set up any post-up shots with a dribble, (who does that any more?), but he showed a wonderful ability to catch the ball, even at difficult angles and either dunk it or lay it in, even if he caught the ball several feet from the basket. Very, very smooth. He's going to be our first scoring center since Rakeem Christmas and Joe Girard, between feeding Jesse and hitting the open shooters on the outside, is going get a ton of assists this year. Jesse will get some, to, as his first instinct when he gets an offensive rebound is to look to the arc to see who's open.

- Frank Anselem is athletic and had a nice trap and bounce the ball off the guy sequence early in the game. other than that, it seems like he's still early in the learning process. He seems to lack offensive skills. there's a clear #1 and #2 at the center spot. But we'll see a lot of both of them as #3, John Bol Ajak has an ankle injury and Bourama Sidibe is now the team's chief cheerleader and none of the forwards were playing the middle before garbage time. Jesse and Frank totaled 38 minutes: 21/17. I think that's what we can expect from them.

- After a slow start, Cole Swider took over the game when things were lagging in in the first half. He started throwing down threes like he a was a 6-9 Buddy Boeheim, then mixed in some drives and pull-ups to wind up the game's leading scorer with 21 points on 8 for 10 shooting. he also had 6 rebounds and 3 assists. He looked much as he did in his highlight film, (see my preview on the forwards). He looks like an NBA player playing college ball - on offense, anyway.

- Jimmy Boeheim also looked like his highlight film - good motor, smart player, can score from the top of the key and hit an occasional three pointer. Good motor. He had 19 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals, including one for his first points when he stole a pass and went the length of the court to flip it in in traffic. Just 3 for 7 from the foul line, though. He'll be a popular player, an Energizer Bunny type.

- Benny Williams has the most talent and the biggest hops on the team. He looked strong from the waist up. He's going to be a very good one. But he's also the youngest guy on a team of veterans and his shot looks bad. Be patient. And don't advocate - all three forwards will play a lot. There's nothing to debate here.

- Buddy Boeheim was in low gear, at least compared to the way he finished last year. He scored 9 points on 3 for 7 shooting, (all threes), before he accidently stepped on a guy and turned his ankle. he didn't seem seriously hurt but spent the rest of the game on the bench. Even when he was on the court, he was just one of many options. We're hitting the open man this year. Nobody has to be Superman. maybe he likes it that way.

- Joe Girard had 6 assists. He's got the lob to Frank down pat. He had three turnovers, all as spectacular in their own way as the assists. he was 2 for 6 from the field and scored 7 points. There will be better days.

- Symir Torrence was determined to make an impression. The biggest one he left was that he should never shoot the ball. he was 0 for 4 from the field and 2 for 5 from the foul line. But he pushed the pace and hustled. He had a couple of assists. He's going to inevitably compared to Kadary and he isn't Kadary. He's a back-up guard. The only one we have.
What concerned me most was the terrible free throw shooting. We will not do well shooting them that badly.

This was an exhibition game and the team still has some warts, but I see a lot of good players working to get better. No real star, which is not necessarily a bad thing.

For what it’s worth, JB seemed very pleased by this effort. For being the first competitive scrimmage, I thought the team looked good. We obviously have weaknesses in some spots, but we’re very strong in others. Experience and veteran leadership is being vastly underrated here. We have some grown-ass MEN out there!
I always measure our seasons by how the defense looks, and it looked good last nite, with plenty of room to get better. Not fretting much about the free throws & certainly don’t expect that to be the norm moving forward.
Overall I’d say the additions have added mightily to this team, & as per usual, no one in cbb will want to see us come tournament time. JMHO

Last edited:
I think the key to understanding Benny is knowing that his position was point guard before his growth spurt. What we're seeing now is how a point guard reacts to suddenly having the height & athleticism to excel in the front court.

Thing is, he's always looking for how to make plays within the team concept...like a point guard. I expect him to make plays whenever he's on the court & by the end of February will probably be winning games for us vs tough opponents on the regular, even if he's still coming off the bench by then.
Wasn't Dolezaj also a point guard until a growth spurt?

If so, Benny playing the Dolezaj point forward role surrounded by that collection of offensive firepower is downright salivating.
He's a big reason why I'm feeling very optimistic about this team. I think we will be seriously competitive with Villanova and Baylor and may even win one or both of those games. Why such confidence? I know what Boeheim do when it comes to developing teams & this one has tremendous potential. Very exciting...
When JB has teams that are clearly flawed in one, or more areas, his ability to turn them into something that is greater than the sum of its parts generally comes to fruition around tourney time.

November/December may be a bit anticipatory, although this roster does have a ton of experience...

Wasn't Dolezaj also a point guard until a growth spurt?

If so, Benny playing the Dolezaj point forward role surrounded by that collection of offensive firepower is downright salivating.

When JB has teams that are clearly flawed in one, or more areas, his ability to turn them into something that is greater than the sum of its parts generally comes to fruition around tourney time.

November/December may be a bit anticipatory, although this roster does have a ton of experience...
Good points. I’m not one who’s gonna lose sleep after the first exhibition game. I expect us to have our struggles but put me in the camp of not caring much about the regular season.
For this team I’d expect a Top 4-7 finish in the ACC, semis in the ACCT, top 5 seed and a Sweet16-Elite8 to end the year. That would be a “good” season, with plenty of room for “GREAT” thrown in. JMHO

Benny will be our really good 6th man before the season is over. No way does he need 2-3 years. Plus he played a lot of minutes, and being a freshman needs a bit more conditioning. He was clearly my favorite, and first off the bench should be a spark for us. He is passionate, and good. He can really jump. I sat on the floor and have a couple of really good shots and videos of him going up for rebounds.

I like the connection with pretty much all of the players, no matter the combinations out there. Some good passing. and communication between players. Buddy and Cole together will give opponents trouble as either can hit the 3 from anywhere. Someone made a reference to playing hot potato, and that was a good one. Just keep passing it back and forth until one bombs the 3.

Joe had some good passes, but as the game went on I felt he still was making a lot of the same errors as in the past. I really was hoping to not see it, so it was not an old Joe bias, but he really started sliding back into some bad habits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom