The view from here | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

The view from here

This was an exhibition game so I'm just going to make some observations.

- Pathetic to go most of the first half with no score graphic on the screen. And Matt Park, a radio guy, should be used to announcing the score after each basket, which he didn't do. Steve Evans, the LeMoyne AD who as coach beat us in the famous exhibition game back in '09, did a good job, made some relevant observations, including that we should push the ball more when we get possession. Don't just hand it off to the guards to dribble it up - look for the pass to get the break going.

- Also pathetic - Me. At halftime, I listened to the discussion where they said , (I thought) that the Pace 'centers' were taking long threes. I wondered why their centers were taking threes.
View attachment 209710

- Overall, the game was kind of painful to watch, except for bursts of competence where we shoot ahead. The shooting was great in those spurts. Our size and hustle on defense makes us much more intimidating on that end, especially to a team like Pace which has good players but short good players, (better than Paddy Casey). The press was good and we went right to it out of a time-out with the lead, although Evans said that JB was just using this game to practice it for when he falls behind and he's likely right. Our rebounding was poor, particularly against a shorter opponent. We had too many turnovers and allowed open three pointers out front to a team that proved they could make them. Finally, our free throw shooting was horrendous, 8 for 21. We are no where near ready for Atlantis, the Big Ten challenge or the ACC. I just hope we're ready for LeMoyne and Lafayette. But then what college basketball team is ready for anything on October 27th?

Individual players:

- I was most impressed by Jesse Edwards, who scored 12 points, (on 6 for 7 shooting), pulled down 5 rebounds, blocked 4 shots, made two steals and drew two charges. He knew exactly what he was doing out there on both ends. He didn't set up any post-up shots with a dribble, (who does that any more?), but he showed a wonderful ability to catch the ball, even at difficult angles and either dunk it or lay it in, even if he caught the ball several feet from the basket. Very, very smooth. He's going to be our first scoring center since Rakeem Christmas and Joe Girard, between feeding Jesse and hitting the open shooters on the outside, is going get a ton of assists this year. Jesse will get some, to, as his first instinct when he gets an offensive rebound is to look to the arc to see who's open.

- Frank Anselem is athletic and had a nice trap and bounce the ball off the guy sequence early in the game. other than that, it seems like he's still early in the learning process. He seems to lack offensive skills. there's a clear #1 and #2 at the center spot. But we'll see a lot of both of them as #3, John Bol Ajak has an ankle injury and Bourama Sidibe is now the team's chief cheerleader and none of the forwards were playing the middle before garbage time. Jesse and Frank totaled 38 minutes: 21/17. I think that's what we can expect from them.

- After a slow start, Cole Swider took over the game when things were lagging in in the first half. He started throwing down threes like he a was a 6-9 Buddy Boeheim, then mixed in some drives and pull-ups to wind up the game's leading scorer with 21 points on 8 for 10 shooting. he also had 6 rebounds and 3 assists. He looked much as he did in his highlight film, (see my preview on the forwards). He looks like an NBA player playing college ball - on offense, anyway.

- Jimmy Boeheim also looked like his highlight film - good motor, smart player, can score from the top of the key and hit an occasional three pointer. Good motor. He had 19 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists and 3 steals, including one for his first points when he stole a pass and went the length of the court to flip it in in traffic. Just 3 for 7 from the foul line, though. He'll be a popular player, an Energizer Bunny type.

- Benny Williams has the most talent and the biggest hops on the team. He looked strong from the waist up. He's going to be a very good one. But he's also the youngest guy on a team of veterans and his shot looks bad. Be patient. And don't advocate - all three forwards will play a lot. There's nothing to debate here.

- Buddy Boeheim was in low gear, at least compared to the way he finished last year. He scored 9 points on 3 for 7 shooting, (all threes), before he accidently stepped on a guy and turned his ankle. he didn't seem seriously hurt but spent the rest of the game on the bench. Even when he was on the court, he was just one of many options. We're hitting the open man this year. Nobody has to be Superman. maybe he likes it that way.

- Joe Girard had 6 assists. He's got the lob to Frank down pat. He had three turnovers, all as spectacular in their own way as the assists. he was 2 for 6 from the field and scored 7 points. There will be better days.

- Symir Torrence was determined to make an impression. The biggest one he left was that he should never shoot the ball. he was 0 for 4 from the field and 2 for 5 from the foul line. But he pushed the pace and hustled. He had a couple of assists. He's going to inevitably compared to Kadary and he isn't Kadary. He's a back-up guard. The only one we have.
Steve who started to game?

A lot of teams we played last year sagged off him until he was about 7 feet from the three point line which was a huge error on their part (until late in the year).

Pace seemed to defend him 5 feet or so after he passed half court yesterday, when Joe turned his back to the basket in the second half instead of moving forward was when it was very noticeable.
If he turns his back to the basket to get it into the frontcourt JB should yank him immediately. I hate that maneuver more than anything.

A work in progress for 2-3 years is a stretch. He already makes it clear he belongs and has the skillset and athleticism to be a factor more and more as the season progresses.

Let's see how he looks against Lemoyne after getting the first game out of the way.

He needs more arc on his shot. He's going to play a lot, but he's not going to be a 30 minute man this season, IMO.

I would agree with you with the “kinda chill” thing if it was a one time isolated deal, but when you have 2 years of him doing it the outlier was the first half and not the second.

That's where the occasional hooks after a terrible 3 attempt would have made him a better player by now. He's got the tools, and he looks more fit this year, but I've never been crazy about his judgment on the floor.

Frank did just fine for his first game where he played legit minutes. He did some nice things in the first half and had a few mistakes. There was zero question he improved to me.

His work to trap in the corners, how quickly he closes out and the offensive rebound immediate kick out all show off his growth and understanding.

Rebounding the ball once he gets more game time looks to be a strength for him. He just has to keep working and letting the game slow down for him.

I've got lots of questions about it.

I also don't see the physical development that some touted for BOTH Frank and Jesse. Not sure either one of them added 10+ pounds [maybe Jesse].

Frank, if he sticks with it, has all the tools and could emerge as a good player here. But I think he's still much closer to the beginning of his learning curve than he is at the point where he can be counted on to be a key contributor. Last night, he was playing against smaller guys -- what's going to happen when he plays UNC or FSU?

I've got lots of questions about it.

I also don't see the physical development that some touted for BOTH Frank and Jesse. Not sure either one of them added 10+ pounds [maybe Jesse].

Frank, if he sticks with it, has all the tools and could emerge as a good player here. But I think he's still much closer to the beginning of his learning curve than he is at the point where he can be counted on to be a key contributor. Last night, he was playing against smaller guys -- what's going to happen when he plays UNC or FSU?

I can see it with Jesse. Frank isn't there yet but right now what we get with Jimmy at the 5 is far scarier than a learning Frank.

We won't really know until you get a P5 matchup. Lafayette actually is a pretty big team but we probably don't know much yet with him till Atlantis.

I will say his positioning and rotations are way ahead of what we saw with JBA who got completely lost.

Last edited:
I can see it with Jesse. Frank isn't there yet but right now what we get with Jimmy at the 5 is far scarier than a learning Frank.

We won't really know until you get a P5 matchup. Lafayette actually is a pretty big team but we probably don't know much yet with him till Atlantis.

I will say his positioning and rotations are way ahead of what we saw with JBA who got completely lost.

It's early days, but Jimmy doesn't look like a banger.

Yeah not at all so far.

I thought he'd be a bit scrappier. He's crafty, he's clever. I'd like to see him "Big Brother" somebody on the boards, or body up to somebody and block their shot.

Maybe wishful thinking, but then again, this was only LeMoyne. So if you've got it in your arsenal, these are the games to show it.

Be the badass, Jimmy! Find your Inner Laimbeer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom