the WR room | Syracusefan.com

the WR room

upperdeck

Living Legend
Would love to sit in on the meeting that explains why they have to dumb down the WR play selection.. Why were the kids at other lower levels able to figure it out?

I mean really how hard is it. you have play x and as a WR you have a/b you do based on some part of what either D you get or how it rolls once the ball is snapped.

But just how varied is it since so many teams just went man on us played cover zero and just rolled into the box..

A couple plays sat the WR just needed to sit down in the zone, but always seemed to fade into coverage and shrader tried to lead them into the hole. the question will still be was that were the QB should be going with the ball.

I get when Wake guys win the 1x1 stuff and make tough catches but then you watch replays the route isnt even being run hard just a nice job and he comes open by 10 yds for simple throws.. Of course when teams are worried to go man and play more zone some of those tree routes do run guys open much easier. when you dont have a single WR that people have to scheme to cover the options became way less.

How much of the poor wr play is not having a written play book and the adjustments orally? Seems wr continue to run the wrong routes. Would a written play book they could study help this problem? Just asking.

I don’t know a route tree from a Dollar Tree, but I’ve also wondered why our WRs have such a difficult time. The old adage, the farther you line up from the football, the easier it is to play as a freshman, never seems to work for us. I think of WR as being a combination of athleticism, experience and opportunity. Certainly we can hit on 2 of 3 of those for almost every receiver. No one seems to be able to make a real impact.

I’m assuming bc there is no playbook, and that I believe a number of our routes are option/2-ways that it takes significantly more time to get comfortable and on the same page. Again, I’m assuming.

The no playbook is interesting to me. It was our bible. It’s referenced obviously all through camp and install. But in all team/unit/position meetings too.

I’m sure they’re referencing some type of material, maybe even electronically. But I’d struggle if I didn’t have anything to go back and reference to. I’m just a visual learner.

Would love to sit in on the meeting that explains why they have to dumb down the WR play selection.. Why were the kids at other lower levels able to figure it out?

I mean really how hard is it. you have play x and as a WR you have a/b you do based on some part of what either D you get or how it rolls once the ball is snapped.

But just how varied is it since so many teams just went man on us played cover zero and just rolled into the box..

A couple plays sat the WR just needed to sit down in the zone, but always seemed to fade into coverage and shrader tried to lead them into the hole. the question will still be was that were the QB should be going with the ball.

I get when Wake guys win the 1x1 stuff and make tough catches but then you watch replays the route isnt even being run hard just a nice job and he comes open by 10 yds for simple throws.. Of course when teams are worried to go man and play more zone some of those tree routes do run guys open much easier. when you dont have a single WR that people have to scheme to cover the options became way less.

We did have one incomplete pass play Saturday where we had 2 wide receivers within a yard of each other. The announcers even commented on it. This was something we saw happen periodically this year. Whatever it was needs fixin.

I've been complaining about this for years. It's too many variables when you have both the QB and the receivers having to read a defense to determine where the receiver should run. Standard route trees are needed. QB shouldn't have to rely on the WR also making the proper read. Option routes are normal but all the pass catchers on the field running option routes every play is asinine. I wouldn't want to be a QB under those circumstances.

Mind blowing that we just allowed a free for all out there and wondered why TD and GS were constantly missing receivers and running wrong routes.

That’s a big knock on Dino and couple that with having no special teams coordinator…

I've been complaining about this for years. It's too many variables when you have both the QB and the receivers having to read a defense to determine where the receiver should run. Standard route trees are needed. QB shouldn't have to rely on the WR also making the proper read. Option routes are normal but all the pass catchers on the field running option routes every play is asinine. I wouldn't want to be a QB under those circumstances.
It also makes you play slower. You have to think then move vs just moving.

Less Picture Pages with Poster Sized photos of Sponge Bob and more Cheesecake Factory laminated menus with 300 plays on them.

Need to be versatile, need to be multiple again.

Old is new. Let's bring back the Wishbone with this running attack we have.

We did have one incomplete pass play Saturday where we had 2 wide receivers within a yard of each other. The announcers even commented on it. This was something we saw happen periodically this year. Whatever it was needs fixin.

I remember that and they weren’t that close until the defender pushed one of our receivers toward the other one.

Dino needs to take the CEO role of this program, similar to what Brian Kelly did at ND after his 4-8 season. Bring in an OC who is competent has his own ideas and let him be the OC. I'd like to say no excuse for our WR room being so bad but not having a playbook would seem to be a legit excuse for some of the struggles.

Mind blowing that we just allowed a free for all out there and wondered why TD and GS were constantly missing receivers and running wrong routes.

That’s a big knock on Dino and couple that with having no special teams coordinator…
I was never a TD fan and thought he was lacking from the start (WMU 2018) but with this being said some of his struggles might have to do with this. My best hope for the program is that DB makes a bowl next year and misses it the following that way his buyout is low and we can go hire someone.

Hopefully that someone is Joe Moorhead who has found himself as a HC once again but we need someone. The one reason I hated a firing now is we'd basically be paying our HC 6 million next season and likely miss a bowl. If Su is going to have 6M invested in a football coach it better darn be a good one.

I was never a TD fan and thought he was lacking from the start (WMU 2018) but with this being said some of his struggles might have to do with this. My best hope for the program is that DB makes a bowl next year and misses it the following that way his buyout is low and we can go hire someone.

Hopefully that someone is Joe Moorhead who has found himself as a HC once again but we need someone. The one reason I hated a firing now is we'd basically be paying our HC 6 million next season and likely miss a bowl. If Su is going to have 6M invested in a football coach it better darn be a good one.
I still believe in the right situation, TD could excel - a dominant OL and a stable of athletic, dynamic WRs who could get separation and fly. We were never able to put that group together. TD was a bad fit.

I still believe in the right situation, TD could excel - a dominant OL and a stable of athletic, dynamic WRs who could get separation and fly. We were never able to put that group together. TD was a bad fit.
That's kinda what I was getting at, from the start I felt it was a bad. He should've gone to WSU with leach IMO, probably would've been his best spot to develop and potentially shine. But I also think most Qb's with a dominant OL and WR's who get separation would have success. I'd be curious to see the schools actually offering him but I don't think hes posting them anywhere.

Dino needs to take the CEO role of this program, similar to what Brian Kelly did at ND after his 4-8 season. Bring in an OC who is competent has his own ideas and let him be the OC. I'd like to say no excuse for our WR room being so bad but not having a playbook would seem to be a legit excuse for some of the struggles.
The time for that though was in 2019. He made the mistake of sticking to his guns by bringing in Gilbert. A new OC is a long term decision and Dino has a short term problem.

I think what this over looks is that this kinda of WR route actually helps teams with lesser talented players.. probably why its been created. Kids might have to be semi-cerebral but they dont need the same talent level to get open against better players if the routes can adjust.. like if you tell in the inside guy to run the skinny post and the safety is sitting on it that route is dead. but if he has a site adjustment he can run off the skinny to a curl or hook or whatever..

this isnt rocket science they dont have 20 things to decide to do.

I saw that play and the replay. I think what happened is the inside receiver got shoved about 7-10 yards outside by the linebacker and that caused him to be much closer to the outside receiver.

If anything, that’s a comment on the flimsiness of our receiver ( or bad leverage on that particular play) not on the playbook or route construction. IMO.

Florange44

How much of the poor wr play is not having a written play book and the adjustments orally? Seems wr continue to run the wrong routes. Would a written play book they could study help this problem? Just asking.
Amba Etta Tawo had a monster year without a playbook.

Steve Ishmael had great success at SU without a playbook.

Trishton Jackson did as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom