Theo Epstein | Syracusefan.com

Theo Epstein

I'm a Yankee fan so I never cared for him much, but if he was born in olden times, legendary tales would be been written about him.

Red Sux and Cubs as WS champs.

Has anyone since Cadmus slayed more dragons?

It's certainly impressive with what he's done but is it him or the fact that these franchises were almost at the top and just needed a little extra push. I'd be interested to see what he can do with a team like Seattle for example, who has never achieved anything in it's existence. But yes, the guy is amazing.

It's certainly impressive with what he's done but is it him or the fact that these franchises were almost at the top and just needed a little extra push. I'd be interested to see what he can do with a team like Seattle for example, who has never achieved anything in it's existence. But yes, the guy is amazing.
Well, I mean he's done it twice now. Do we really need a third?

I'm not sure the Cubs were necessarily near the top. Theo was hired in Oct. 2011 and here are their yearly records for the first three years under Theo.

2012 5th 61 101 .377 36
2013 5th 66 96 .407 31
2014 5th 73 89 .451 17

Hope the Sabres give him a contract.

Yes the Buffalo Sabres.

Cubs were nowhere near the top when Theo took over and sucked for a few years after that, last year was their break through year. Getting Lester and Maddon and the emergence of Arrieta as well as the young talent, Bryant, riz, Schwarber is what brought them to the forefront--- he builds sustainability

I'm not sure the Cubs were necessarily near the top. Theo was hired in Oct. 2011 and here are their yearly records for the first three years under Theo.

2012 5th 61 101 .377 36
2013 5th 66 96 .407 31
2014 5th 73 89 .451 17

He tore it down to build it up again. All the way down to the farm system.

He's the best in the business.

He tore it down to build it up again. All the way down to the farm system.

He's the best in the business.

He really did. I'm not even a Cubs or Sox fan either. I'm a Braves fan. But I'll definitely give Theo credit when due.

I was a bit nervous Maddon was going to try and out think the room last night and blow it.

He did try and out think the thing, they just ended up winning. Speaking just about last night, Kendrick was in a groove, had his stuff working and Lester seemed to be throwing well as well after the first inning he threw and Maddon took them out. The squeeze play is typical Maddon, that just didn't work.

The tag up by the pinch runner in the 10th was absolutely huge. The jump Bryant got on one of his runs was great too. Ton of great base running by the Cubs last night

I'd love to argue against Epstein, but I got nothing. He's not like a Torre (who gets way too much credit imo) that walked into an almost impossible to fail scenario. He's always had HUGE money to play with, I guess that's the most critical u can be. For the most part though, he spends it well.

* Torre as a manager. . . . Epstein as a GM

How old is this guy? Guy is really young given all he has done. Where did he go to school and how did he work himself up I wonder.

How old is this guy? Guy is really young given all he has done. Where did he go to school and how did he work himself up I wonder.

He was 28 when he started with the Red Sox if I remember correctly. Yale guy I believe.

EDIT - Currently 42 years old. And graduated from San Diego School of Law as well.

He was 28 when he started with the Red Sox if I remember correctly. Yale guy I believe.

EDIT - Currently 42 years old. And graduated from San Diego School of Law as well.

Smart man.

2012 5th 61 101 .377 36
2013 5th 66 96 .407 31
2014 5th 73 89 .451 17

You are right. I was thinking back to 2003 or so when they were World Series caliber. Forgot how terrible they were recently.

Buster Olney just said that he's the greatest GM in MLB history. Kind of hard to argue with that. He also said he checked in with the HOF today and to be eligible he either needs to have been retired for five years, or at least 70 years old. Looks like it'll be awhile until his induction in Cooperstown. Make no mistake about it, he's going in, no matter what he does from here on out.

BTW:

Eamus Catuli
AC000000

If he wanted to replace Sandy Alderson, I'd happily take a third.

I have been critical of Sandy in the past, but the Mets went to back to back postseasons for the 2nd time in franchise history, I am not for getting rid of him.

I have been critical of Sandy in the past, but the Mets went to back to back postseasons for the 2nd time in franchise history, I am not for getting rid of him.

True, but Epstein won championships with teams that were experiencing droughts of 86 and 108 years respectively. You really wouldn't trade Alderson for Epstein if you could?

True, but Epstein won championships with teams that were experiencing droughts of 86 and 108 years respectively. You really wouldn't trade Alderson for Epstein if you could?

It's tough, I mean both his jobs were for teams that were completely willing to go all-in and green light anything to win a title. Not sure u get quite the same latitude, even with the Mets or Yankees. Maybe though.

Sandy isn't going to be around much longer anyway. (As a GM, I'm not saying he's gonna die or anything)

Theo is fantastic.

It would never happen, he isn't leaving Chicago, If I needed a gm, I would take him in a second, The Mets are in a really good place right now.

It would never happen, he isn't leaving Chicago, If I needed a gm, I would take him in a second, The Mets are in a really good place right now.

He will, he's only 42, and he's going to get bored. When things get too easy or you satisfy your goals you tend to look for something new to do.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom