Things Almost Got Ugly in the Hallway | Syracusefan.com

Things Almost Got Ugly in the Hallway

CuseCPT

All Conference
I've never seen anything like it in the Dome. The hallway by the east zone (Archbold side) before kick off almost got really ugly. Too many people were trying to pass through it and there was just a mass of people. Two fights broke out and people were trying to shield old people and kids from getting crushed. It was getting dangerously close to a stadium crush type scenario. Thankfully an usher on top of the stairs to 300 level took charge and started telling people to go back the other way. People could have gotten really hurt. There may have been a medical emergency further up in front of me, i could only see people putting their hands up and hear lots of panicked yelling.

I missed the kickoff and the first possession because i had to walk all the way around the Dome the other way but I didn't even care. I was just happy to be in one piece.

I've never seen anything like it in the Dome. The hallway by the east zone (Archbold side) before kick off almost got really ugly. Too many people were trying to pass through it and there was just a mass of people. Two fights broke out and people were trying to shield old people and kids from getting crushed. It was getting dangerously close to a stadium crush type scenario. Thankfully an usher on top of the stairs to 300 level took charge and started telling people to go back the other way. People could have gotten really hurt. There may have been a medical emergency further up in front of me, i could only see people putting their hands up and hear lots of panicked yelling.

I missed the kickoff and the first possession because i had to walk all the way around the Dome the other way but I didn't even care. I was just happy to be in one piece.

Glad you and everyone are ok.

We cannot have that happen again. It's wholly unacceptable.

When you have students and fans drinking all day in advance of the game that will happen. The stadium should of also known that was to be expected and positioned a few more cops along the hallways. I saw someone in section 336 so drunk he needed help down the stairs. When at an event like that, know your limits. The drunk dude was old enough to know better.

Im a huge fan of the dome. Been going for 20 plus years. Im at the point now where i wish they just built a new stadium. The corridors are ridiculously narrow and then you have people waiting in very slow lines for beer and food that clogs the already narrow hallways.

it doesnt help that people dont know that other gates are much easier to get in. if you use the gate on your ticket it helps spread things out

My eticket from tm didnt even have a gate on it, which is annoying. Unless im missing it.

When you have students and fans drinking all day in advance of the game that will happen. The stadium should of also known that was to be expected and positioned a few more cops along the hallways. I saw someone in section 336 so drunk he needed help down the stairs. When at an event like that, know your limits. The drunk dude was old enough to know better.

I was sitting in 308 not 336

My eticket from tm didnt even have a gate on it, which is annoying. Unless im missing it.
but you can look on a Dome map and see what gates are best..

Coming in from the Arch side those first 2 gates on either end of the endzone are always full. but if you go down to the next set of gates its half as full. if you to the other endzone its often empty.

it was a mad crush though where the kids were trying to cross into their seats before the game.. Upper deck on my end was pretty easy to get around pre game

Coming in from the Arch side those first 2 gates on either end of the endzone are always full. but if you go down to the next set of gates its half as full. if you to the other endzone its often empty.

it was a mad crush though where the kids were trying to cross into their seats before the game.. Upper deck on my end was pretty easy to get around pre game

I obviously did that but that really should be on the ticket imho and would maybe help the people who arent as resourceful.

no doubt. but in 30 yrs they have not figure out that having no organized lines in the food areas causes issues and letting beer vendors set up show willy nilly doesnt help

Yea its a show. Also doesnt help the beer line i was in was being operated by a single person with zero hustle. The register she was using was also from the stone age, which further slowed her down.

I thought about this but it looked like Gate A had just as long a line as the two upper-level gates at the southeast corner.

Seemed like they had fewer metal detectors at certain gates?

All of that is true, but they should do a better job of funneling people to less crowded gates. I've been to games at Auburn and at Tennessee and didn't notice any of those issues despite the fact the crowds were in the 80k to 100k range.

Yea its a show. Also doesnt help the beer line i was in was being operated by a single person with zero hustle. The register she was using was also from the stone age, which further slowed her down.
having someone try to press those buttons with gloves on is insane, its a single use register so have presets to speed things up and have multiple people so the people doing the money dont need to use gloves and slow things down. one beer line almost had a fight because some lady got in some kind of argument and it took 15 min to resolve while the line just kept building..

you need more people and people who know how to manage these things.

There was a medical emergency in 315-316 that coincided with the kickoff. Ushers and security cut off access to the section which created a big bottleneck at that corner and patrons who didnt know what was happening were being very difficult due to the timing.

It was horrific - I honestly thought that someone was going to get seriously injured. Embarrassing job by the Dome Staff.

having someone try to press those buttons with gloves on is insane, its a single use register so have presets to speed things up and have multiple people so the people doing the money dont need to use gloves and slow things down. one beer line almost had a fight because some lady got in some kind of argument and it took 15 min to resolve while the line just kept building..

you need more people and people who know how to manage these things.
The concessions are operated independently still, I think. Local civic groups operate their own booths, and these people are volunteers. The one I went to, the poor kid was sweating his head off, and they were understaffed. But volunteers nevertheless.

Last edited:
Individuals can be adults but crowds tend to be children.

Isn't widening the concourse part of the renovations?

I'm glad I came early. i got into the orange Shop and out very easily (to get the media guide) and the lines at the concession stands were minimal.

Even then there were two long lines leading into the security entrance between the Physics Building and Steele Hall, (where the Ernie Davis statue is) but when i went around to the other side of the Physics Building there was another security station with no lines at all and i got right in...Maybe I shouldn't have said that. :cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom