Things you don't expect | Syracusefan.com

Things you don't expect

Dilli Gaf

Walk On
1) Mike Tyson's voice.
2) Pascal Chukwu's inability to finish at the rim.

PC is underappreciated for his contributions because of perception.
Our mind is boggled when we watch a player, who can reach the rim without jumping,
unable to drop the rock through the hole.

Certainly that is a problem that must be addressed. But in the grand scheme of things PC is not turning the ball over (empty possession) any more often than the rest of the team who can shoot abysmally at times.

Bottom line: PC needs to improve but he is not the only Achilles heel on the team.
He contributes as much as the rest of the players do.
And he plays with great effort and sportsmanship.

The man deserves our respect.
He is going to win some games for us.
We will praise him once his consistency improves.

I'd be curious to see what his turnover rate per touch is compared to the rest of the team. Maybe it is perception.

PC is an Orange so I am a fan and I root like heck for him.

He hustles and he has become a much better free throw shooter.

He appears to be a great teammate and liked by all.

He can play great defense and was a big part of the tourney run last year, while injured.

Unfortunately, basketball does not come to him naturally and he seems to have a lack of balance and equilibrium. Also, we all reach a peak level of performance. I also recognize if he is playing Division 1 basketball he is a great overall athlete.

We all like to talk about those players who make others around them better. That is not happening with PC. In fact, according to the coach, his current skill set is doing the opposite. I agree he still will have a role on this team and wish him the best of success, but for the team, as a whole, he needs to be a smaller piece of the puzzle.

And yes, I will cheer as loud as the next guy when he blocks any number of Zion Blue Devils shots.

I guess because you got beat up on the PC vs Forth thread you feel the need to beat the drum for him here.

PC is what he is. A tall, not very athletic, center who is inconsistent in what he brings to the court. If and when he can show close to what he is capable when he is at his best, then perhaps we can better appreciate his game.

Until then, he will continue to make, at least me, shudder every time the ball goes into his hands.

I'd be curious to see what his turnover rate per touch is compared to the rest of the team. Maybe it is perception.
That was my first thought when I read the first post. I cringe whenever he is to be the target of an alley-oop. PC is a fine kid but he is a below average center at a D-1 school. I agree with the comments of ar inj. I too will root for him when he is on the court but anytime he makes a positive contribution on the offensive end of the court I am amazed.

Pascal’s value has been on defense. He is consistent - same strengths, same flaws. Now it looks like Dolezaj and Sidibe are improving on defense, while adding (in different ways) more on offense. We would like to have one real good center, but we have 3 options - JB will need to keep juggling game to game.

He has 13 turnovers and 26 fga with 17 made baskets or .654 fg% which leads the team. He averages only 1.9 fga per game making 1.2 of them and .9 turnovers per game.

I don’t know if they feed him more in practice and assume they do but in games despite being 6th in minutes played , he’s 9th in fga per game and 6th in turnovers/game.

Paschal rarely gets the ball much to get in any type of rhythm or experience catching, shooting the ball during games.

Pascal’s value has been on defense. He is consistent - same strengths, same flaws. Now it looks like Dolezaj and Sidibe are improving on defense, while adding (in different ways) more on offense. We would like to have one real good center, but we have 3 options - JB will need to keep juggling game to game.
I am wondering what will happen when Zion Williamson, 6'7" 285, posts up Marek Dolezaj, 6'10" 180 next Monday.

1) Mike Tyson's voice.

Our mind is boggled when we watch a player, who can reach the rim without jumping,

Certainly that is a problem that must be addressed. But in the grand scheme of things PC is not turning the ball over (empty possession) any more often than the rest of the team who can shoot abysmally at times.

Bottom line: PC needs to improve but he is not the only Achilles heel on the team.

From your keyboard to God’s mother board.

I am wondering what will happen when Zion Williamson, 6'7" 285, posts up Marek Dolezaj, 6'10" 180 next Monday.
The entire Orange Nation trembles at the thought.

Activate Conway, Martin and Adams from the football team to tag team him. :rolleyes:

Qadir White is probably itching for some live action, and he outweighs Zion by at least 50 lbs.

I like your post but want to point out that PC has a FG% of 65% which is the highest on the team, except for Braswell. That's not bad even for a 7'2" guy. He was also highest on the team last season. It's too bad that he has trouble catching and holding on to the ball.

1) Mike Tyson's voice.

marek dolezaj shooting 50 % from 3. buddy b. shooting 21 %

buddy looks so hesitant with his shot right now.. wish he could get a couple layups just to see it go in the basket a couple times easily

little debby december is past . we're in conference play now. acc don't give you easy layups. games count.

I like your post but want to point out that PC has a FG% of 65% which is the highest on the team, except for Braswell. That's not bad even for a 7'2" guy. He was also highest on the team last season. It's too bad that he has trouble catching and holding on to the ball.

Balls he bobbles or has stolen before he even attempts a shot, don't count as shot attempts.
That tends to happen with him at an alarmingly high rate.
And the easy bunnies he routinely misses usually get rebounded by the opponents, so they're almost as bad as a TO anyway.

He is SEVEN FOOT TWO - I still don't know why he doesn't DUNK EVERYTHING when he's within 5' of the hoop. :mad:

Activate Conway, Martin and Adams from the football team to tag team him. :rolleyes:
This was before my time at SU but I was told that Jim Brown was on the basketball team for one reason -- he was the "enforcer".

Buddy's shooting woes is an indication that Girard is quite likely to face the same shooting challenges his freshman year. Fan's expectations are typically unrealistic for our freshman receipts.

buddy looks so hesitant with his shot right now.. wish he could get a couple layups just to see it go in the basket a couple times easily
As the announcer at the ND game said, if Buddy hits his first 3-point attempt he plays much differently than if he misses it.

could be a pressure thing. but buddy wasn't brought here for defense. he's supposed to be an elite shooter.

I’m just confused as to how he looks compared to how he was trending last year. He looked good at the end of the year culminating in a very solid performance against Duke in the tournament. I expected to see that trajectory continue and he’d really have impact this year. Instead he regressed back to no better than he was game 1 last year. On a similar note, OB has put it in reverse also. Battle is still exactly the same guy who will dominate for 8 minutes and be invisible for 8 every game while not making anyone around him better. Frank has of course become a shadow of himself. So unexpected all of this.

It’s 2019.

Really neither of these two should be unexpected.

I predict that Joe's % will be much better than BB's, but I wonder how many minutes Joe is going to get.

Buddy's shooting woes is an indication that Girard is quite likely to face the same shooting challenges his freshman year. Fan's expectations are typically unrealistic for our freshman receipts.

I don't think it's unrealistic to expect a Freshman known for his long-range shooting to shoot better than 21% from beyond the 3-point line. Buddy rarely forces a shot. He just isn't making them. Many don't come close. I think by now it is mostly mental with him. Had he had some good shooting games early on, his confidence would be much higher. Hopefully he'll have a game in which the first 3-pointer falls, then the 2nd, then maybe the 3rd. That could affect the rest of the season for him.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom