Thirteen Reasons Why (Netflix) | Syracusefan.com

Thirteen Reasons Why (Netflix)

I finished watching it a few weeks ago. What an incredibly intense show. I heard it broke the Netflix record for number of viewers. If you haven't watched the last episode yet, beware. One of the scenes is very graphic.

I finished watching it a few weeks ago. What an incredibly intense show. I heard it broke the Netflix record for number of viewers. If you haven't watched the last episode yet, beware. One of the scenes is very graphic.

Yeah that whole thing was gut wrenching.

I had vaguely heard about the show but this is the first time actually heard of anyone who has seen it.

I'm halfway through it and hope something changes how I view this show, because as of right now, they've made Hannah Baker (who should be a sympathetic figure) into the second most overdramatic, annoying person ever, only behind her "holier than thou", vigilante-wannabe high school crush.

So far we have no depictions of mental illness. No signs of self harm or self loathing. A popular girl who commits suicide apparently due to bullying, and then in death, bullies all those who bullied her?

I've been to events to stop bullying. I've heard stories that rip your heart out. I was excited to watch this because I am very empathetic to the cause. However, six episodes in, and I'm rolling my eyes every episode. Like I said above, hopefully this is a build up to something bigger and the show proves me wrong.

It's certainly captivating though.

Last edited:
After binge watching this with some friends, I'm inclined to agree with this review of the show, especially the portion about the Clay/Guidance Counselor exchange.

13 Reasons Why is an insult to anyone with mental health issues

The last few episodes are tough to watch. The show does what it's meant to, which is hook the viewer. They even do a good job at portraying high school caste systems. The thing they don't do a good job at... is portraying suicide. Throw in an overly obnoxious vigilante protagonist and I didn't come away very impressed.

Still in high school huh? This is like when Tim Riggins was somehow in high school for like 6 years on Friday Night Lights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom