This Guy Gets No Credit | Syracusefan.com

This Guy Gets No Credit

anomander

Living Legend
Ryan Guthrie may have just had the best under the radar season in the history of Syracuse football. Sure he has got credit along the way, but no where near the amount of credit he deserved. This kid was 2nd team all-ACC at a loaded LB position. As beloved and great as Zaire was he was only honorable mention as a Sr and 3rd team as a Jr. Guthrie stepped in and turned a position that was a weakness into a strength. I know Shy gets a lot of credit around here, and it’s deserved, but the star of this unit this season was Guthrie and he will be hard to replace. The kid was smart. He was always in the right position and was as sure of a tackler as we had. The kid unselfishly played out of position last year at DE to provide depth. I am glad he got a chance to show case his skills this year and at least give himself a shot to try out for an NFL team. I’m interested in how he tests out because if he can show he is fast enough he may have a chance. Anyways I thought I’d give him his own thread and a rightfully deserved shout out for a season for the ages. 2nd team all-ACC will be tough to replace.

Well stated and very true. He made a ton of plays including a ton that he was the only person around to make the play. Great season.

Couldn’t get an offer out of high school, goes JUCO. Becomes a JUCO AA, can’t get a P5 offer except us. Then goes on to 2nd team All ACC.

I don’t think his story is over. He’ll play pro somewhere if he wants to. May not be NFL but he’ll play in one of the leagues if he wants it.

No one got me more pumped than Guthrie on defense this year. He was constantly playing downhill, flying all over and playing his heart out. He will be missed.

I thought his play took a step forward when the coaches seemed to let the LBs start to get downhill more. He was great at a position filled with uncertainly to start the year.

To be fair to Zaire (and Parris Bennett), alot of the individual player recognition comes with team success. If Franklin and Bennett are on this year's team with the improved dline and secondary play, I think we get similar results and they get similar recognition.

Says he is from Cumming, GA (where I live - nothern ATL suburbs). He went to West Forsyth High School just down the streeet from me. They don't put out too many D1 guys. He will be missed.
1546629195662.png

I thought his play took a step forward when the coaches seemed to let the LBs start to get downhill more. He was great at a position filled with uncertainly to start the year.

To be fair to Zaire (and Parris Bennett), alot of the individual player recognition comes with team success. If Franklin and Bennett are on this year's team with the improved dline and secondary play, I think we get similar results and they get similar recognition.

I think that's a result of getting away from the Tampa 2. Too often Zaire was having to cover the middle of the field on passing routes. Ryan rarely had to do that.

He was a welcome surprise for me. The LB position was my biggest concern going into the season. He was about as sure a tackler as we had. He made a number of stops in open space. I was very impressed with his play, particularly as the season went on.

I think that's a result of getting away from the Tampa 2. Too often Zaire was having to cover the middle of the field on passing routes. Ryan rarely had to do that.
I was under the impression we really didn't play it that much last year.

Says he is from Cumming, GA (where I live - nothern ATL suburbs). He went to West Forsyth High School just down the streeet from me. They don't put out too many D1 guys. He will be missed.
View attachment 149202

He even looks like a LB. I mean if this guy walks in the room I’m not saying oh he’s an account or a sales rep. I’m saying that boy is a linebacker .

It is an excellent point. Guthrie may have improved more from the beginning of the season to the end than any guy on the team. He turned a position which was our biggest question mark into a genuine strength. Replacing him and Slayton is going to be tough, and it will determine how strong we are up the middle in 2019.

Had a really good year seemed when there was a big play needed on defense he was in the middle of it.

All the praise is warranted, but the biggest surprise -- by far -- was Andre.
Cisco or Szmyt? ;)

I’m assuming the kicker, but a true freshman taking the job from a well respected 5th year senior and leading all of college football with 7 interceptions might receive some votes as well.

Guthrie was certainly a huge impact player I wish we could enjoy for more seasons. Our only hope is that we can enjoy watching his growth for many years in the NFL.

I was under the impression we really didn't play it that much last year.
We didn’t really but they kept the lb back a bit longer in run plays playing pass first. After Pitt game coaches changed their tune and told the boys be aggressive more and our Line of scrimmage tackles increased dramatically. It’s so hard to sit there while knowing Pitts 230 lb back has a running start already. They fixed it and boom the boys all of them improved immediately. It became fun to watch. He did an unbelievable job this year. Hope he succeeds in nfl.

We didn’t really but they kept the lb back a bit longer in run plays playing pass first. After Pitt game coaches changed their tune and told the boys be aggressive more and our Line of scrimmage tackles increased dramatically. It’s so hard to sit there while knowing Pitts 230 lb back has a running start already. They fixed it and boom the boys all of them improved immediately. It became fun to watch. He did an unbelievable job this year. Hope he succeeds in nfl.
I was referring to 2017. But yeah, the change after Pitt was big.

Guthrie was the unsung hero indeed.

FWIW, Dino thinks Guthrie plays in the NFL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom