This has to be better | Syracusefan.com

This has to be better

GoSU96

Living Legend
3rd down last year was a nightmare

1661864422588.png

Not only couldn’t they convert but too high a percentage were obvious passing downs.

Need to stay ahead of the sticks and increase the number of third and manageable and need to do a better job of converting in every range, which means the passing game needs to be better.

Last year the offense was in run, run, pray, punt mode.

Last edited:
need to add going for it on 4th down to get the whole picture but it does show that on 3rd and less than 6 we converted about 50%..

On one site it says we converted 32% of 3rd downs and this says 21%?

But getting to 40% gets up to top 50 from around 120th last yr,

50% of the time we were in 3rd and long..

View attachment 219359

Not only couldn’t they convert but to high a percentage were obvious passing downs.

Need to stay ahead of the sticks and increase the number of third and manageable and need to do a better job of converting in every range, which means the passing game needs to be better.

Good offenses aren't bad on a down numbered 3
Bad offenses aren't good on a down numbered 3
Whatever downs we throw on are bad because our quarterback is not good at throwing
We aren't fixing that this year so it's another wake me up next year year

Last edited:
Whatever downs we throw own are bad because our quarterback is not good at throwing
If it’s another wake me up next year does that mean you won’t be watching games?

View attachment 219359

Not only couldn’t they convert but to high a percentage were obvious passing downs.

Way too many people are thinking SU will push teams all over the field with the run game. That's delusional. SU better be aiming for a 50-50 split run & pass.

With a RB that is heisman level, and a mobile QB, it makes no sense why third and manageable shouldn't be the norm. You get manageable on third by gaining a good chunk on first, which a RB avg'ing 5+ ypc does.

Penalties are the real killers.

Way too many people are thinking SU will push teams all over the field with the run game. That's delusional. SU better be aiming for a 50-50 split run & pass.
I agree. I don't see us manhandling people up front like say Northwestern did to close out Nebraska last week. I think Tucker will get most of his yards on chunk plays where we win at the point of attack and he wins over some open field tacklers.

View attachment 219359

Yup we just need to be more efficient in the pass game. Play selection, route concepts and execution needs to improve and I think they will with Anae.

I'm hoping the offense has learned about that newfangled technique called a "play action pass." I hope it will result in fewer obvious passing situations and give an advantage with short distance third downs.

Perhaps we also reintroduce the "pump fake" to move safeties and get 1 v 1 matchups vs smaller DBs? I know it sounds crazy but it has worked in the past

I’d like to see them get Garrett moving the pocket more, last years FSU game was a good example, get him going on boots and waggles and give him a pass/run option from the hashes out, run. Three level pattern to the roll side
Backside drag, a frontside slide/out/vertical will always be effective.

Whatever downs we throw own are bad because our quarterback is not good at throwing
Sorry Millhouse, you are so wrong about GS. Can't wait until you eat that big plate of crow.

If it’s another wake me up next year does that mean you won’t be watching games?
I think they'll be good enough for them to have the privilege of me watching most of the time (when I'm not racing between kids' baseball and softball fields)

I think they'll be good enough for them to have the privilege of me watching most of the time (when I'm not racing between kids' baseball and softball fields)
Why race? DVR. Heck, I DVR games I'm at home for so I can play with the kids or tackle the honey do list. I tune in halfway through and catch up in the 4th quarter.

Many years of seeing run heavy QB’s who were poor throwers. Guys like Tebow Pat White Randel el Denard Robinson Eric Couch Tommy Frazier. Shrader doesn’t need to light it up. Just needs to be efficient. A sound and QB friendly pass scheme allows that.

He's a gamer and a good runner and he not going to throw the ball well and it might be enough for six wins
Is he a pure passer? No.

Had he been playing WR for an entire season prior to coming to SU? Yes.

Was he put into positions to be successful last year in the passing game? Absolutely not.

Anae & Beck have taken much lower rated players and built offenses around them to be successful through the air and overall. They also have never had a Heisman caliber RB on offense.

As I said - give it a chance. If Shrader is 12-30 after game one and we get blown out? Go back to sleep. But I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom