This is a very good team | Syracusefan.com

This is a very good team

kcsu

Living Legend
Having watched the exhibition games and the opener 3 times im really encouraged. We have a complete team this year. I dont see any glaring weaknesses. In fact with the exception of point guard which is actually pretty solid we are loaded.
Benny Cole and Jimmy are all excellent. I have liked Jimmy for a long time but had no idea what a balanced mature and skilled player he has become. Hes really good. Benny oozes potential and as his shot improves he is going to become a star. As to Cole hes smooth. Extremely talented in all phases. Great shooter, strong and a much better handle than thought. Jimmys really good but Cole is special.
Buddy looks improved. Hes more fluid and his foot speed has improved. Last year he looked heavy footed. This year he looks much lighter on his feet,more agile. Hes such a pleasure to watch.
Joe played well. Shot it like he was back in GF and managed the game. He needs to cut out his adventures into the lane/baseline as it wont fly against better talent but he looked to be in shape and i think he will hold his own.
Symir is also much better than i expected. Quick, strong, great handle. He cant be pressed. If he can finish in the lane he becomes very valuable and his D is stellar. Guys good and going to get better.
Edward's is so close. His hands have improved considerably. He moves much better than last year and just seems comfortable on the court.
Frank also played well and showed his athleticism when he did the back dunk effortlessly. Hes Extremely coordinated and covers a lot of ground.
Finally the chemistry and overall bball IQ of this team is as good as any i have seen on the hill in a long time.
These guys aren't super athletic but they arnt stiffs.
This is a team of very smart players who all work and all have very good skills. Its a great shooting team and one that isnt going to fold.
Im really excited as this is a much different team than JB has ever had and win or lose is going to fun to watch.

The problem with this team is depth at center. Frank needs to take a huge leap. If Jesse gets into foul trouble the Orange are going to lose games. Especially on away games where hometown refs are partial like Duke and Louisville. Even if Frank does take a huge leap the Orange probably need a 3rd guy when at Duke or Louisville just to compete.

The problem with this team is depth at center. Frank needs to take a huge leap. If Jesse gets into foul trouble the Orange are going to lose games. Especially on away games where hometown refs are partial like Duke and Louisville. Even if Frank does take a huge leap the Orange probably need a 3rd guy when at Duke or Louisville just to compete.
How many teams have 3 centers? How many really have a 2ud string guy who is a lot better than Frank. And I would expect that he will improve as the season goes on.

Agreed. We are going to struggle in some games and we are thin at center and point but we are talented and will be a match up nightmare for most teams.

The last line in the OP is where I’m at. We’ll lose a few games we should win and really destroy some teams that are peer schools. Shooting will do that and 3’s can cover some athleticism warts.

Still in wait and see mode myself. I love the veteran maturity we have. That is a huge plus in the upper level of college ball these days. But I’m a tad wary of a “shooting” team. There can always be those nights where shots don’t fall. Defense as your strength is something that is much more consistently “on” for a team. I very much hope we can get Sidibe back and that he can pick up where he left off a few years ago (both unlikely unfortunately). For as high as everyone seems on Frank, in the exhibitions and this first game, it appears to me that his potatoes are positively palpitating.

The question with this team is going to be defense. Lack of quickness and athleticism will show up in transition defense and covering the corners and behind the arc. That has not been an issue with the low level of teams we have played so far. We'll get a better idea at Atlantis tourney when we see a vast step up in the athletes we will be up against. But offensively no doubt this team is better than last year.

I dont know...I was really encouraged by Frank's play in the opener. I actually thought he played better than Jesse on defense. And Bol had 4 rebounds in 7 minutes (even though hes not a center he could play there if need be). Doubtful Sidibe plays this year but if he does...there will be a lot of depth at center.

Im not worried about center.

The thing im worried about is teams like Villanova Baylor and UvA (though not this year) who can drive and kick and pass quickly...I think the team speed on D is pretty slow overall...and well-oiled dangerous offenses just might able to pick them apart on D with passing and drives.

So teams with strong inside play and great 3 point shooters will be tough...but they will be tough for everyone.

That said, there are pieces to play more aggressivley and athletic on D if need be and more importantly, the offense will score on everyone so this team will never be out of a game, imo. against anyone.

Obviously Lafayette isn't cutting the nets down this year but I never expected to see the offensive chemistry that we saw last night with so many new guys who really have not played together in an actual game before.

I dont know...I was really encouraged by Frank's play in the opener. I actually thought he played better than Jesse on defense. And Bol had 4 rebounds in 7 minutes (even though hes not a center he could play there if need be). Doubtful Sidibe plays this year but if he does...there will be a lot of depth at center.

Im not worried about center.

The thing im worried about is teams like Villanova Baylor and UvA (though not this year) who can drive and kick and pass quickly...I think the team speed on D is pretty slow overall...and well-oiled dangerous offenses just might able to pick them apart on D with passing and drives.

So teams with strong inside play and great 3 point shooters will be tough...but they will be tough for everyone.

That said, there are pieces to play more aggressivley and athletic on D if need be and more importantly, the offense will score on everyone so this team will never be out of a game, imo. against anyone.
I don’t think Ajak sees the court in any undecided game unless Jesse, Frank, and Jimmy are all unavailable.

Remember last year when we didn’t practice for like 2 weeks and then went and played our first game and looked horrible, and people here tried to make the argument that the lack of practice shouldn’t matter, and that we should be able to walk on the court after doing burpees in the dorm rooms for 2 weeks and win by 30?

Lmao, what a time.

This is so much better.

Obviously Lafayette isn't cutting the nets down this year but I never expected to see the offensive chemistry that we saw last night with so many new guys who really have not played together in an actual game before.
really? I thought it would be good but it was better than i thought.
thinking about it now, buddy and jimmy are brothers tha play against each other since kids. joe and buddy have been together for years now fresh off a sweet 16 together. jesse as well basically. basically 4/5 of the starters lineup is pretty familiar with each other...swider is a senior and theyve all been playing together since the summer...offensive chemistry was high but the defensive chemistry is what I wasnt sure about...seems pretty good though.

We are peak Notre Dame. We can't defend like elite teams. But if we make enough shots, we can beat anyone. This is the way I foresee the season:

shoot 40% from three, Final Four
shoot 38% from three, Sweet Sixteen
shoot 35% from three, one and done

It's going to be a fun ride either way.

Remember last year when we didn’t practice for like 2 weeks and then went and played our first game and looked horrible, and people here tried to make the argument that the lack of practice shouldn’t matter, and that we should be able to walk on the court after doing burpees in the dorm rooms for 2 weeks and win by 30?

Lmao, what a time.

This is so much better.

Yes I do remember that, but the other side of that coin is that when there is a good performance, people start immediately anointing the team as best in the galaxy. Go back and look at our first game of the year in recent years in which we struggled. You’ll see a lot of win margins similar to last night’s. Specifically that Andrew White/ John Gillon team. I remember som opposing coach comments from the tomato can portion of the schedule even predicting national championship for that team.

Fans are fans I guess. I just don’t want to sit through all the recriminations and hate again when people’s unfounded images of grandeur get shaken by a loss or two. There’s reason for excitement and reason for pause. We have almost no real understanding of what this team can be yet, let it play out. And do so understanding the coaches and players want to win more than you do and will put their formidable abilities to work to make it happen.

I’m not ready to declare anything about this team yet. I’ll be ready to declare on 12/1. They “look” better than I expected so that’s a good start

Still in wait and see mode myself. I love the veteran maturity we have. That is a huge plus in the upper level of college ball these days. But I’m a tad wary of a “shooting” team. There can always be those nights where shots don’t fall. Defense as your strength is something that is much more consistently “on” for a team. I very much hope we can get Sidibe back and that he can pick up where he left off a few years ago (both unlikely unfortunately). For as high as everyone seems on Frank, in the exhibitions and this first game, it appears to me that his potatoes are positively palpitating.
I think the experience helps us in Atlantis and probably thrus FSU. We need to make some noise with these opportunities.

Is it possible Covid actually helped us? It’s a disgusting statement but bear with me.

I think many of us were surprised to see how good Jimmy is. He is big and strong and a smart player. If Covid never happened, he would have played his fourth year with Cornell. He hadn’t played in 600 some days. He is BURNING to play and he worked out and practiced all last year. He is going to be a major contributor.

Joe Girard. Last year was a year from hell for him. He was sick and out of shape. His pride was hurt. He is now in the best shape of his life and is BURNING to play. He is going to be good for us all year long.

Swider. I can’t remember if Covid was the reason why the NCAA said players who transfer can play right away. Maybe that would have happened anyway? This man is a fierce competitor. He is BURNING to prove himself. He is talented. He and Jimmy are two of the big reasons why we are going to be good this year.

Because of Covid, the players are excited and energized to play in front of crowds. Because of Covid, the fans are excited and energized to be back. Neither are taking the other for granted.

Are there any other ways Covid may have helped this year’s team?

And yes yes, I am one of those “every cloud has a silver lining” kind of people.

Yes I do remember that, but the other side of that coin is that when there is a good performance, people start immediately anointing the team as best in the galaxy. Go back and look at our first game of the year in recent years in which we struggled. You’ll see a lot of win margins similar to last night’s. Specifically that Andrew White/ John Gillon team. I remember som opposing coach comments from the tomato can portion of the schedule even predicting national championship for that team.

Fans are fans I guess. I just don’t want to sit through all the recriminations and hate again when people’s unfounded images of grandeur get shaken by a loss or two. There’s reason for excitement and reason for pause. We have almost no real understanding of what this team can be yet, let it play out. And do so understanding the coaches and players want to win more than you do and will put their formidable abilities to work to make it happen.
I very much agree with this. While I personally am very optimistic about this team's potential, I most definitely do appreciate all those--like Jake--who are trying to tamp down expectations right now.

Optimism is justified, but fans feeling 'entitled' to a great season because of some signs of early promise is beyond ridiculous. Stuff happens. An injury to a key player can turn things south in a hurry.

So please, Doubters, keep pumping out all of those nagging worries that pop into your heads at this early stage. It actually helps the team's psychology in some important ways...
Modern Family Thumbs Up GIF

. It actually helps the team's psychology in some important ways...
Modern Family Thumbs Up GIF
How exactly do our rantings here help the team's psychology? I'm extremely interested in this.

And Buddy, if you're reading this, I think it's time to ditch that military style 'doo and adopt the Paddy Casey look. You can totally pull it off. Don't listen to the old man.

Is it possible Covid actually helped us? It’s a disgusting statement but bear with me.

I think many of us were surprised to see how good Jimmy is. He is big and strong and a smart player. If Covid never happened, he would have played his fourth year with Cornell. He hadn’t played in 600 some days. He is BURNING to play and he worked out and practiced all last year. He is going to be a major contributor.

Joe Girard. Last year was a year from hell for him. He was sick and out of shape. His pride was hurt. He is now in the best shape of his life and is BURNING to play. He is going to be good for us all year long.

Swider. I can’t remember if Covid was the reason why the NCAA said players who transfer can play right away. Maybe that would have happened anyway? This man is a fierce competitor. He is BURNING to prove himself. He is talented. He and Jimmy are two of the big reasons why we are going to be good this year.

Because of Covid, the players are excited and energized to play in front of crowds. Because of Covid, the fans are excited and energized to be back. Neither are taking the other for granted.

Are there any other ways Covid may have helped this year’s team?

And yes yes, I am one of those “every cloud has a silver lining” kind of people.
if covid doesnt happen, this roster is much different...thats for sure.

How exactly do our rantings here help the team's psychology? I'm extremely interested in this.

And Buddy, if you're reading this, I think it's time to ditch that military style 'doo and adopt the Paddy Casey look. You can totally pull it off. Don't listen to the old man.
Since you're apparently new to the world of college basketball, I'll spell it out for you...

You see, college players monitor public perceptions of themselves and their team and they frequently cite comments made by "doubters" of their potential as having given them incentive to "prove them wrong." When the doubts that are voiced question the entire team's potential, they will often use it to bond with each other in a common cause.

So the upside is that the entire team can feel extra motivated to put in all the extra hard work it takes to get better as a team, and yes, even to trust their coach more and value his guidance as he is supremely important variable in their ability to succeed as a group, if not THE most important variable.

I hope this helps your understanding of such matters. Any time you feel perplexed in the future about such elementary dimensions of the game, please feel free to solicit my advice again...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom