this is as close as i've ever been to going cold turkey with football

Discussion in 'Syracuse Football Board' started by Millhouse, Dec 4, 2017.

1. UnknownOrange

UnknownOrange All Conference

I didn’t watch the game.

“In the closing minutes of the Patriots and Bills Week 13 matchup with New England up 23-3, Tom Brady threw and interception on a pass intended for Gronk. After the play the tight end came crashing into the back of Tre'Davious White which he was later penalized for with the officials ruling unnecessary roughness.“

2. Orangeman

Orangeman All Conference

Yeah, that’s what the horrific NFL would “like” you to read

The amazing truth is Gronk was flagged for 15 yards

But well after that, Amendola, who’s undoubtedly been trained by his coach that “if they have 15 yards You start something and see if it can nullify he 15 yards cause we’ve got nothing to lose” jacked a Bill in the face and the resulting altercation led to dual flags...

And THEN the Buffalo player had the Gaul to call a referee a bad name... and the horrific referee said the overall result was -15 yadda on BUFFALO

Yes, you read that right. The penalty on the field was against the Bills

And you wonder why the leagues finances are imploding

I’ve called for it for years and been laughed at, but the populace has caught on

The owners may finally “suffer” a bit

All4SU likes this.
  3. sufan4eva13

sufan4eva13 Scout Team

I have to echo what Ish said, most depressing and frankly stupid thread on this board in my memory. If hardcore football fans are this misinformed about the health research I truly do fear for the future of our game.

This whole debate comes down to CTE, a condition which still has never been shown to lessen lifespan OR impair cognitive ability. They’ve seen no increased incidence of either in NFL players and certainly not in high school players. In fact, every study they’ve ever done on high school players showed slightly longer lifespans and no increased incidence of cognitive decline. Before we throw the greatest sport on the planet under the bus we should actually conclude that this is a real problem.

two3zone likes this.
  4. MSOrange

MSOrange Former Iggy Award Winner (used to be a big deal)

Owners won't suffer too much as long as guys like you insist everything is fixed but are right back there watching the next week. That's why I find you laughable. At some point, if you're going to insist every Bills game is fixed, put your money where your mouth is and stop watching.

5. Millhouse

Millhouse Living Legend

we should conclude that this is a real problem.

I would be willing to bet that the studies you're citing are comparing people who were strong enough and athletic enough to play football when they were young to men as a whole. I suspect there is selection bias at play here because being too weak or fat to have the option of playing football in high school is probably a good predictor of a shorter lifespan.

i think it's frankly stupid to conclude that repeated head injuries do not impair cognitive ability

6. Orangeman

Orangeman All Conference

You raise a valid point...

First, I don’t watch all the games, only the ones that are on TV for me which are against the Jets and Patriots

And since youth sports are never-ending it’s always on DVR later

Otherwise the TV is on a Red Zone since the boy likes to watch that

I don’t go to the games

So I’m not sure how the owners profit from me (I recognize I pay a fee for Red Zone through the cable company).

But I’m not one of those viewers they track so they wouldn’t know I was watching anyway...UNLESS you believe, as I do being a conspiracy guy, that those digital set-Top boxes are actually notifying the Cable companies what channel your watching, etc.

So in that case yes when my son is watching Red Zone if prob registers, etc

My theory is not that every game is fixed...my theory is that he league is constructed so major market teams (plus Green Bay) are on TV and that they are good so people will watch

I believe the rules have become increasingly variable to allow the league to influence outcomes (why do refs now have microphones in their ears when they don’t actually use them for anything? Seemingly anyway).

And yes I believe the NFL has “swat team” officials they shuttle around to affect games they want to (Sterratore, Hochuli, etc)

Why ELSE would officials’ game assignments be set up weekly and not be set up at he beginning of the season?! Logistically wouldn’t it make sense to do that? They don’t because they don’t know what games they need to affect to assue the teams the TV execs paid big bucks for are on TV and in the playoffs.

I actually don’t think any of this is irrational. There MUST be a reason Goodell is worth 50 MILLION DOLLARS!!!!???!! Right?! Because he’s the pawn that’s sold the vision to the TV executives and enriched the ownership class.

Follow the money...

7. SUFaninNJ

SUFaninNJ All American

Not all of us have been duped, but let's not bring politics into it ...:rolleyes:

Orangeman likes this.
  8. All4SU

All4SU Class of 1944

That's the way I saw it too. How Gronkowski was not ejected right there on the spot is a mystery to me. The Bills came away 15 yards the wrong direction after their player nearly got killed.

CuseFaninVT, OrangePA and MSOrange like this.
  9. OrangePA

OrangePA Hall of Fame

I just don't believe that football is safer now than in the past.

The contacts today seem much more violent than ever before.

The athletes are bigger, stronger and faster and they play on artificial surfaces - for the most part.

Force equals mass times velocity.

Mass and velocity need to be decreased significantly.

10. Ish88888

Ish88888 All Conference

All good points and i understand the physics of it . Lets face it, most guys in the NFL are probably on performance enhancers these days thus its alot more mass moving at higher speeds. That said, hits like the Steelers reciever that penalty then suspension for a routine crack back block that is taught and in the flow of the game. He led with shoulder, with contact got under the helmet. Total legal hit, a hit thats been executed for 80 years and bc burfict wasn't looking, its a suspension? Vs Gronks assault, seriously would be time in jail. Really Roger? Let's put this in perspective? Its BS at its best!

11. OrangePA

OrangePA Hall of Fame

The shoulder hit on the Bengal did not bother me all that much.

The Gronk hit was outrageous.

Ish88888 and MSOrange like this.
  12. Ish88888

Ish88888 All Conference

Thank you and my point. The league is clueless in evaluating these hits.

13. orangenirvana

orangenirvana All American

Mike Mitchell doesn't want you feeling sorry for him...

14. Millhouse

Millhouse Living Legend

Aaron williams career ended on a hit like that that block. You don't have to annihilate someone to impede them enough to stop them from making the tackle. so much of this stuff is just totally unnecessary

I'm not certain about this but I think even hockey players are starting to take care of each other a little better. Fewer boarding calls and fewer giant open ice hits.

Schiano is so terrible but his one good idea could really save injuries. There are so few kick returns of significance, everything ends up around the 25 whether they kneel, kick through end zone or try to return. So many injuries when it doesn't even matter.

Cuseregular, two3zone and MSOrange like this.
  15. OrangePA

OrangePA Hall of Fame

I can't argue with you - the hit against the Bengal player could have been better played - the Steeler could have just bumped/screened him.

Screening is just not part of the culture of football at this point.

I agree that it should be.

At least the shot was with the shoulder and not to the head - as far as I can recall.

So, in that sense, I had no real problem with it.

You can change the rules all you want but you really need to change the physics of the game - until that happens the injuries will continue to pile up and end up ruining the game.

16. OrangeTarheel

OrangeTarheel Starter

Until I had some pretty serious pain for a couple months this year I never thought about chronic pain. Now I know it can ruin your life if you're unable to get relief. I now hurt to see these guys who get up limping and I imagine that may be something they won't be able to control in 20 years.

I love football and I hate myself so I watch EVERY MINUTE of Syracuse football. If we want to be kind to the young athletes we root for then we need to be (a) insuring them against loss of future wages from injury and (b) increasing penalties for unnecessary roughness both in and out of play. Unfortunately (b) is very subjective and may result in what has happened in basketball -- referees take over and ruin the game. So the best part of this idea is (a) IMHO.

Cuseregular likes this.
  17. Newhouser

Newhouser Starter

You think players are taking enhancers? Surely you jest......all of these issues are secondary to the fact that drug testing is weak (in all sports) but especially the NFL. What is the modern day equivalent of roid rage going to be for these players 10, 20 or even 30 years from now. All that said the DB from the Steelers is getting BBQd because it isn't PC to admit - it's a violent game where people can get hurt, and everyone who puts the helmet on knows it and agrees to take that risk, and develop their bodies in the best way possible to survive the battle every week.

General20, bevosu and Ish88888 like this.
  18. WimpyWagon

WimpyWagon Walk On

I would like to see more players go straight to the pros for football and basketball. Let the game go back to the student athlete. That would level the playing field a bit.

bevosu likes this.
  19. Millhouse

Millhouse Living Legend

it might be happening in hockey because there are so many games that don't mean anything (too many games, loser point, games decided by random bounces) - easier to justify taking care of opponents. football has too much at stake.

it's the wide open blasts where guys are top speed and there is too much chaos to know where everyone is - the targeting and crackbacks are helping

one thing i think they need to do is stop having QBs slide. the guy is trying to hit you low to avoid your head and then you go feet first putting your head down where the guy is aiming. then after he blasts your head, your head goes back into the ground. you're better off just getting drilled with a regular tackle

none of this stuff fixes that much, just makes it a little better

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:55 PM
  20. OrangePA

OrangePA Hall of Fame

Hey Einstein you intellectual snob!

You know what the problem is - physics!

Force equals mass times velocity.

That is the issue and that is what must be addressed.

21. Millhouse

Millhouse Living Legend

yeah, that's why i want to deal with the hits where there is the most velocity

like kickoffs or crackback blocks where people are colliding at top speed

i am not a physicist but when qbs hit their head twice at high velocity, that sounds bad

Cuseregular likes this.
  22. OrangePA

OrangePA Hall of Fame

Yup.

23. Cuseregular

Cuseregular All American

lincolncuse, OttoMets and Bayside44 like this.
  24. MSOrange

MSOrange Former Iggy Award Winner (used to be a big deal)

When you say he will be okay, I don't think there has been any real confirmation he has feeling below his waist unless I missed something? So yes, he will live, but still may have a life changing injury. Hoping for the best.

25. storange

storange All Conference

without a doubt.....Curling is next.

MSOrange likes this.