This is serious.. so pay attention.... | Syracusefan.com

This is serious.. so pay attention....

Status
Not open for further replies.

cto

Administrator
In the past few weeks, I have gotten multiple private messages from several long-time good posters ... saying they are leaving the board because serious, intelligent threads are constantly being destroyed and made unreadable. They point out that many threads that start out intelligently... soon get hijacked by juvenile garbage in which a few posters exchange endless posts that have no bearing on the subject at hand ... and which make no sense to anyone else.

I have discussed this with other admins here. We agree this is a problem for those who come here for information and intelligent discussion.

Please take note: these hijackings into juvenile abysses will no longer be tolerated. Posts will be deleted. And, if necessary, posters will be warned.

Our goal here ... is for intelligent discussion and information exchange about the team we all ostensibly love. It is is not to foster a forum of juvenile garbage.

And, by the way, "juvenile" has nothing to do with age. Some really good posters here are current students and recent graduates.

Last edited:
Could you give us a list of topics that the mods few fit for us to discuss? And how about we implement a drop down menu with pre-approved responses so we don't have to worry about posting something against the rules.

Could you give us a list of topics that the mods few fit for us to discuss? And how about we implement a drop down menu with pre-approved responses so we don't have to worry about posting something against the rules.
It is called common sense. If I have to explain what that means, maybe the cause is more hopeless than I thought.

In the past few weeks, I have gotten multiple private messages from several long-time good posters ... saying they are leaving the board because serious, intelligent threads are constantly being destroyed and made unreadable. They point out that many threads that start out well... soon get hijacked by juvenile posts in which a few posters exchange endless posts that have no bearing on the subject at hand ... and which make no sense to anyone else.

I have discussed this with other admins here. We agree this is a problem for those who come here for information and intelligent discussion.

Please take note: these hijackings into juvenile abysses will no longer be tolerated. Posts will be deleted. And, if necessary, posters will be warned.

Our goal here ... is for intelligent discussion and information exchange about the teams we all ostensibly love. It is is not to foster a forum of juvenile garbage.

I think that is all fair. I've lurked from the old board since the summer of '05. I would hate to lose some really good posters around here. Give warnings when it applies. Until a person gets called out for it, they truly may not know.

Who decides what is intelligent discussion? I agree there is way too much stupid stuff and too many boob jokes on here. I'm also not a fan of censorship.

It's a stupid internet fan board. If I wanna talk about UConn, I will. If I want to tell a stupid joke, I will. If you want to discuss the merits of the full court press and how many rebounds Tony Bruin had in '82, feel free.

Suddenly it feels like North Korea. Feel free to ban me.

Who decides what is intelligent discussion? I agree there is way too much stupid stuff and too many boob jokes on here. I'm also not a fan of censorship.

It's a stupid internet fan board. If I wanna talk about UConn, I will. If I want to tell a stupid joke, I will. If you want to discuss the merits of the full court press and how many rebounds Tony Bruin had in '82, feel free.

The operative word is "hijack". Is this so difficult?

One can ban oneself!

All the topics you mention are fine... and posts about them have never been deleted. I am talking about what you call "the too much stupid shxxt and too many boob jokes."

And, by the way, we don't want it to be a "stupid" internet fan board. We want it to be an "intelligent" internet fan board. That was the premise upon which it was started 14 years ago.

Last edited:

I think the point is if 2 people post what should be private posts to each other 10 times in a thread, you lose patience and stop reading the thread. Stop being a drama queen and exercise some self-restraint. It's not your private board with 2 or 3 friends; try to stay in the flow of the conversation. That's all she's asking and I think it is quite reasonable.

That's why on the recruiting boards we create one thread for each potential recruit - to keep discussions on topic. There are too many quality posters on this board to turn it into too many private discussions that dominate and take over too many threads

I think the point is if 2 people post what should be private posts to each other 10 times in a thread, you lose patience and stop reading the thread. Stop being a drama queen and exercise some self-restraint. It's not your private board with 2 or 3 friends; try to stay in the flow of the conversation. That's all she's asking and I think it is quite reasonable.

That's why on the recruiting boards we create one thread for each potential recruit - to keep discussions on topic. There are too many quality posters on this board to turn it into too many private discussions that dominate and take over too many threads
Matt, you got it.

The General said:
Who decides what is intelligent discussion? I agree there is way too much stupid stuff and too many boob jokes on here. I'm also not a fan of censorship. It's a stupid internet fan board. If I wanna talk about UConn, I will. If I want to tell a stupid joke, I will. If you want to discuss the merits of the full court press and how many rebounds Tony Bruin had in '82, feel free. Suddenly it feels like North Korea. Feel free to ban me.

It's not a stupid internet board. It's a private Syracuse sports forum.

It's not a stupid internet board. It's a private Syracuse sports forum.

"Private" being key here. That is what I like. Not a fan of censorship but without it this place becomes espn or Syracuse . com. Let us be reasonable on this issue. And mods, if I ever step out of line, smack me back down. We are a superior board, let us keep it that way.

Ive been on here 12 yrs and think the sensitivity is off the charts on this. The threats to leave because of things that I know are implicating a poster like myself without specifically saying as much are a bit over the top imho. I try to engage within context and add what I can with an intellectual perspective. I also enjoy the spirit of the board community. Its a fair sentiment and point taken. It just seems a bit over dramatic in respect to actual occurrences and their frequency.

Message received though and thank you for being candid.

Ive been on here 12 yrs and think the sensitivity is off the charts on this. The threats to leave because of things that I know are implicating a poster like myself without specifically saying as much are a bit over the top imho. I try to engage within context and add what I can with an intellectual perspective. I also enjoy the spirit of the board community. Its a fair sentiment and point taken. It just seems a bit over dramatic in respect to actual occurrences and their frequency.

Zoo, you are not part of the problem. And most posters here do not see the truly out-of-control posts that get deleted... because there are seven mods/admins here... and at least one of us is generally around. We started this board more than 14 years ago to give fans an alternative to what was an unmoderated sewer at syracuse.com. We try to have a quality product here. If people don't like it, they are free to go to syracuse.com or somewhere else.

Last edited:
If enough of the more fun loving free wheeling posters complain that they will leave because anytime they post something remotely entertaining a bunch of stuffy posters jump them and derail it would anything be done? I get the feeling it wouldn't be. This smells a lot like some of the posters I like are leaving so something must be done, to me. I may be wrong but honestly I have a hard time believing that this will be fairly administered across the board if some complainers are already getting things changed to their liking. There is room for everyone IMO and just as much legit bball discussion threads as there have ever been plus there are fun goofing around ones.

I'm in the same boat, though I'm pulling seniority on OZ because I've been with this group for 15+ years at this point. I like to be silly, and I like to be sarcastic, and I like to be plain old dumb sometimes. I don't think it takes anything away from my ability to post intelligently, but I also know I'm part of the group that is apparently getting people up in arms. Does it get out of hand sometimes? Certainly. That's also why there are mods who have the ability to delete, clean up, or otherwise, you know, moderate threads.

But while I understand we don't want things getting to syracuse.com levels of stupidity around here, I hope people will remember that there are good, long time posters (not referring to myself - I'm a GREAT long time poster...that's what I tell myself in the mirror every morning while I'm brushing my teeth) who like levity and mindlessness now and then to help survive the doldrums of a long week at work.

EDIT: I just read CTO's response to Jay and I will just say it FEELS like some of us are being lumped into "the problem" and having fingers pointed our way with some of these types of threads, because we are the people who goof around the most frequently.

I'm in the same boat, though I'm pulling seniority on OZ because I've been with this group for 15+ years at this point. I like to be silly, and I like to be sarcastic, and I like to be plain old dumb sometimes. I don't think it takes anything away from my ability to post intelligently, but I also know I'm part of the group that is apparently getting people up in arms. Does it get out of hand sometimes? Certainly. That's also why there are mods who have the ability to delete, clean up, or otherwise, you know, moderate threads.

But while I understand we don't want things getting to syracuse.com levels of stupidity around here, I hope people will remember that there are good, long time posters (not referring to myself - I'm a GREAT long time poster...that's what I tell myself in the mirror every morning while I'm brushing my teeth) who like levity and mindlessness now and then to help survive the doldrums of a long week at work.
Jekelish... you're one of the best posters here (well, at least most of the time...;) ). I love the fact you started to post here when you were a student. My post was in no way directed at you or similar posters. But I think you know that. And I love it when you are "silly," because more than anything, I can be silly. But I think you know that. There is nothing wrong with silly. What is wrong... is stupid. As in stupid when threads are hijacked..

Status
Not open for further replies.