This just cant be true | Syracusefan.com

This just cant be true

Don

2nd String
Its less than two months before the first game of the year at a P5 school, where the big boys play. We are coming off back to back solid(not great by any means) recruiting years. We play in one of the best conferences in the country. We are coming off a year where we beat the highest rank teams we have beat in a ling time. We ave a senior QB who is the best we have had in 20 years. we have 14 or 15 starters back. We play in a dome with a wide open offense. The downtown area seems to be booming. The school just announced that the will be major upgrades to the dome.

Yet with all this i am able to get on the carrier dome ticket site and search for season tickets and find 2 tickets on an outside row where i dont have to stand to let people out and within five rows of the field near the 35 yard line. I have looked and relooked and it is true. not even a corporate group entertaining guests has purchased these. i sat in row j last year on the other side of the field and bought them late.

Its kind of a sad tale to be honest. This just should not be .

So whats the reason?

Apathy outside the people on this board? yes some
A changing population in the city who loves football but the round football? yes i think so
Lack of faith in the team after years of ineptness? certainly
The attitudes of changing times for football and its danger? maybe
The dome sucks in September with the heat and humidity? for some yes
Football is just not an event like at other schools? i think a biggie

Im going to purchase the tickets for a lot more money than i want to spend but if im going to go to the game i want the best seat i can find. Im not optimstic as others on here, I think its hard to look at this schedule and see 6 wins . I hate sitting in the humid dome . Ive been fooled before such as last year that we are better than our record. I think recruting has improved but so has everybody elses. So why do I go and spend my money? I just like to go sometimes and have fun , and talk a little smack , raise a little cane and hope that i can see more games like last years Clemson game and less games like the MTSU game and i dont think thats asking to much.

Its less than two months before the first game of the year at a P5 school, where the big boys play. We are coming off back to back solid(not great by any means) recruiting years. We play in one of the best conferences in the country. We are coming off a year where we beat the highest rank teams we have beat in a ling time. We ave a senior QB who is the best we have had in 20 years. we have 14 or 15 starters back. We play in a dome with a wide open offense. The downtown area seems to be booming. The school just announced that the will be major upgrades to the dome.

Yet with all this i am able to get on the carrier dome ticket site and search for season tickets and find 2 tickets on an outside row where i dont have to stand to let people out and within five rows of the field near the 35 yard line. I have looked and relooked and it is true. not even a corporate group entertaining guests has purchased these. i sat in row j last year on the other side of the field and bought them late.

So whats the reason?

A changing population in the city who loves football but the round football? yes i think so

Im going to purchase the tickets for a lot more money than i want to spend but if im going to go to the game i want the best seat i can find. Im not optimstic as others on here, I think its hard to look at this schedule and see 6 wins . I hate sitting in the humid dome . Ive been fooled before such as last year that we are better than our record. I think recruting has improved but so has everybody elses. So why do I go and spend my money? I just like to go sometimes and have fun , and talk a little smack , raise a little cane and hope that i can see more games like last years Clemson game and less games like the MTSU game and i dont think thats asking to much.
yes.

As they say "much to unpack" here.
1. Cultural tastes have changed and college football is not the draw it once was to a population with more interests and varied options.
2. Although I dearly love SU Football, the level of play of late does not inspire loyalty and interest amongst those fans who might consider buying in (although Nebraska's program didn't see much of a fall off with their 15+ year swoon - at least by NU standards).
3. The first season tickets I got in 1974 AD were on the 47 yard line in the "fancy" bleacher section (not concrete) of Ancient Archbold. They were $7 each or $42 for the season.
4. It ain't easy sitting through prolonged and invasive TV time outs when you could be home on the couch scratching any area of your body you damn please.
5. Having said that (I hate saying 'having said that'), it was almost other worldly watching the 'cuse outlast Clemson last year with Dungey's stretch for the 1st down on 3rd and 8. Should've been 3rd and 3 - stupid delay of game penalty. See the things we remember?
6. Get the tickets, have a smorgasboard of a tailgate, enjoy the game, take off your shirt (as I did opening night 1980 against Miami of Ohio) if it gets too hot and make some memories.
7. This team and the coach who oversees the program are close, and the competition is fierce. If SUcan elevate their game and win some crucial contests we're going to experience some real SU football satisfaction. That keeps me going sometimes. That and those Ore-Ida Tater Tots. Man they're good.

Don't

So whats the reason?

Don't over think things. Only 3 over .500 seasons in the last 16 seasons.

73-121. That's our record since 2001 and that's all you need to know. With a few exceptions we haven't played winning football in 18 years and an argument can be made that we haven't played fun football since 1998. We have a generation of sports fans that can't remember what it's like for Syracuse football to be fun. Even when we start to win, there will likely be a little lag between the winning and the return of the casual fans.

So whats the reason?

Translation: “ If we win, they will come”. ‘Nuff said.

I can tell you we did not renew our season tickets because pacusewife decided to have a baby, but otherwise we would have renewed.
Overall the record has not been good for a very long time and just read the comments on other sites where Syracuse stuff is posted most of the "fanbase" is clueless as to what is going on. Also I've noticed anytime we are up for a game and the hotel folks or taxi driver ask why we are in town and we say for the football came we've always heard "oh they are playing tonight?" We need a couple of huge season to get that super casual fanbase back to the dome.

So whats the reason?

Its # 3 on your list. Plain and simple

I think i've gotten to the point that i could care less about the attendance, who goes to what games, etc. It's entertainment and there alot of other options for people now to be entertained. Go, don't go, watch, don't watch. To convince someone to do something is fools errand. The product will sell itself or not.

I try to get to one game a year and it's been that way since I graduated in the late 90s. I haven't changed my outlook because I truly enjoy college football and SU football. But i could care less what others are doing and if the Dome is full or empty anymore. It used to irritate me but don't care anymore.

I can tell you we did not renew our season tickets because pacusewife decided to have a baby, but otherwise we would have renewed.
Overall the record has not been good for a very long time and just read the comments on other sites where Syracuse stuff is posted most of the "fanbase" is clueless as to what is going on. Also I've noticed anytime we are up for a game and the hotel folks or taxi driver ask why we are in town and we say for the football came we've always heard "oh they are playing tonight?" We need a couple of huge season to get that super casual fanbase back to the dome.
That’s funny, I bought seasons tickets for the first time in my life precisely BECAUSE we just had a baby (10 months old now).

I wanted to get good seats while they were available (per OP they are indeed available) so I can lock them up for decades of enjoyment to come.

We will not be going to every game (hope to catch 3-4 a year) while she is little but at least as our family grows our seats are secured.

I am a season ticket holder and make every game. that said the enjoyment of the experience more often than not does not compare to the level of enjoyment one can have in their living room with friends, in front of a large screen, etc. Also - if the games get any longer the crowd that DVR's and watches after the start time will continue to grow. The experience you can have watching outside the building is easier and often just as good if not better than being there in person for a lot of people. is what it is I stopped worrying about it because I don't think it changes unless we get to 9-10 wins consistently and in the aCC I don't see that happening.

Translation: “ If we win, they will come”. ‘Nuff said.
I've stated it before, but I don't believe it is that simple for us.

We've gone too long with putrid football.

We need sizzle and steak. The football's got to be fun, too.

I've stated it before, but I don't believe it is that simple for us.

We've gone too long with putrid football.

We need sizzle and steak. The football's got to be fun, too.

Agree. I’ve seen the community excitement rise after a few wins in a row. Then we lay an egg in a game we should win and the excitement level vanishes.

We need to win back the fair weathers with exciting football and winning games.

Agree. I’ve seen the community excitement rise after a few wins in a row. Then we lay an egg in a game we should win and the excitement level vanishes.

We need to win back the fair weathers with exciting football and winning games.
The bolded part happens way too frequently to sustain any sort of excitement.

That’s funny, I bought seasons tickets for the first time in my life precisely BECAUSE we just had a baby (10 months old now).

I wanted to get good seats while they were available (per OP they are indeed available) so I can lock them up for decades of enjoyment to come.

We will not be going to every game (hope to catch 3-4 a year) while she is little but at least as our family grows our seats are secured.

If we where closer to Syracuse, about 4-5 hours right now, I think we would have kept them and even started bringing the other two kids to games. They loved the spring practice but at points where asking when it was done and doing normal "bored" kid stuff. We do plan on getting tickets again soon and unless we get a few crazy good seasons I think we will still get good seats hopefully.

all most fans need to know is are we winning? to expect more from the fans is not realistic.when we (if) start winning the place will fill up. up to now, with marrone being exception, we have not won. i feel we have improved and hope that it continues. i do not care for the scheme dino runs, but if we win i am all for it--but i am a proponent of meathead football----with a creative twist.

all most fans need to know is are we winning? to expect more from the fans is not realistic.when we (if) start winning the place will fill up. up to now, with marrone being exception, we have not won. i feel we have improved and hope that it continues. i do not care for the scheme dino runs, but if we win i am all for it--but i am a proponent of meathead football----with a creative twist.
But here's the thing - the guy you point to as the exception... had a .500 record.

I am a season ticket holder and make every game. that said the enjoyment of the experience more often than not does not compare to the level of enjoyment one can have in their living room with friends, in front of a large screen, etc. Also - if the games get any longer the crowd that DVR's and watches after the start time will continue to grow. The experience you can have watching outside the building is easier and often just as good if not better than being there in person for a lot of people. is what it is I stopped worrying about it because I don't think it changes unless we get to 9-10 wins consistently and in the aCC I don't see that happening.
i will take 7 inclusive of an upset of a marquee team.

But here's the thing - the guy you point to as the exception... had a .500 record.
It's more about the way he did it. He did it with a depleted roster, with juco players no one wanted and 2 star recruits that he turned into 1st round draft picks. The program was trending in the direction of consistent success. It would have been easier for him to recruit now that we are in the ACC and have better facilities.

So whats the reason?

I'm very curious - what are the seats?

whats your point? he did not have less than 500 and had two bowl game wins. the guy is an awesome coach to bad we could keep him and given him the same tools that now exist
It's more about the way he did it. He did it with a depleted roster, with juco players no one wanted and 2 star recruits that he turned into 1st round draft picks. The program was trending in the direction of consistent success. It would have been easier for him to recruit now that we are in the ACC and have better facilities.
Right, guys, I'm just saying - there's something hugely telling about why there isn't a whole lot of fan interest when the most successful coach you can point to for an entire generation of potential fans in Syracuse won exactly as many games as he lost.

That's the best foot we had to go forward?

I mean... of course the fan base isn't rabid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom