This offense | Syracusefan.com

This offense

CuseMan4

Starter
Our offense can be pretty good. It’s clearly obvious that Mintz and Edwards are our best players. The offense needs to run through those two. The biggest problem right now is Girard, he’s just looking to get his points out there. He needs to be used like a Cooney and Rautins. He’s not a player maker, not even close to the level of Mintz. Run the offense through Edwards and Mintz. Run Joe off screens, have some set plays for him where he can get a 3 but you simply can’t run the offense through him when he was a lot more efficient players in Edwards and Mintz. Those 3 can be enough to carry the offense if they are used right and just have the rest of the players to do the dirty work and hit the boards hard.

I’ve been saying for awhile, Brown is underrated. Develop this kid and give him all the run before ACC player and he’ll be a solid, consistent 4th player you can depend on. He’s solid and consistent, he won’t hurt the team if you play him 25+ a game. It’ll only help the team down the road.

Joe is a chucker - breaking a life long habit will be a monster coaching job. That said we need his shooting, and as I type a lot, he is the only kid on the team who can feed the post from the wing or the top of the key. He just has an addiction to shooting.

And so far only 12.5 FGA per game. His defense is the key which was better the last 2/3 of the game. He will never be a good defender but we need him to be average and play hard.

The first 3rd of the game none of their 3’s came from the man Joe was responsible for. In fact, and I may have missed one in the second half, I’m not sure any made 3’s came from the guy he was responsible for. And again, that doesn’t mean he’s a great defender, but when 3s are being drained on us, especially the Colgate game, people just assume it’s Joe.

Our offense can be pretty good. It’s clearly obvious that Mintz and Edwards are our best players. The offense needs to run through those two. The biggest problem right now is Girard, he’s just looking to get his points out there. He needs to be used like a Cooney and Rautins. He’s not a player maker, not even close to the level of Mintz. Run the offense through Edwards and Mintz. Run Joe off screens, have some set plays for him where he can get a 3 but you simply can’t run the offense through him when he was a lot more efficient players in Edwards and Mintz. Those 3 can be enough to carry the offense if they are used right and just have the rest of the players to do the dirty work and hit the boards hard.

I’ve been saying for awhile, Brown is underrated. Develop this kid and give him all the run before ACC player and he’ll be a solid, consistent 4th player you can depend on. He’s solid and consistent, he won’t hurt the team if you play him 25+ a game. It’ll only help the team down the road.
I agree about Brown, also interested to see if one of Bell, Taylor or Copelans can score 8 or 10 points agame

Benny 3-8 with 8 boards, not too bad. Nothing came easy for him this year, then he finally got that breakaway dunk today, and along came some late buckets after. He had a real nice line last game. Not worried about the mood as long as it's in control, just whatever brings more of the hustle.

I'm left wondering who is going to be the consistent 4th man in double figures.

Last edited:
The first 3rd of the game none of their 3’s came from the man Joe was responsible for. In fact, and I may have missed one in the second half, I’m not sure any made 3’s came from the guy he was responsible for. And again, that doesn’t mean he’s a great defender, but when 3s are being drained on us, especially the Colgate game, people just assume it’s Joe.

I actually never said he was in this game to be clear. The open 3s were mostly on the wings early in this one. Joe's closeouts have to be better in general as do the entire teams but because he has a size disadvantage it adds even more emphasis.

To me his biggest problem is he still crashes into the FT line area too quickly when the ball goes inside or is swung around. He isn't tall enough or fast enough to recover and gets caught in no man's land.

Tonight it was the wings and Judah that were bad early with Joe missing on two ( one wasn't a made 3) because of crashing too low.

Joe is a chucker - breaking a life long habit will be a monster coaching job. That said we need his shooting, and as I type a lot, he is the only kid on the team who can feed the post from the wing or the top of the key. He just has an addiction to shooting.
Joe is the shooting guard now; his job is to chuck, and he did it very, very well today. He shot 55% from the three - chuck away, chuck away!

JB ain’t telling him to stop chuckinnnn

I actually never said he was in this game to be clear. The open 3s were mostly on the wings early in this one. Joe's closeouts have to be better in general as do the entire teams but because he has a size disadvantage it adds even more emphasis.

To me his biggest problem is he still crashes into the FT line area too quickly when the ball goes inside or is swung around. He isn't tall enough or fast enough to recover and gets caught in no man's land.

Tonight it was the wings and Judah that were bad early with Joe missing on two ( one wasn't a made 3) because of crashing too low.

Didn’t you say he was better the last 2/3 of the game?

And Joe, like our guards for years are told to collapse to the foul line if you’re the weak side guard. I remember people used to hammer Cooney for that.

If Benny gets us 4-5 points a game and 7-10 boards I’m fine with that. His role on this team is basically a screener and grab every board he can. Any points are icing on the cake

If Benny gets us 4-5 points a game and 7-10 boards I’m fine with that. His role on this team is basically a screener and grab every board he can. Any points are icing on the cake
At some point we need more than 3 guys who can score. And JB seems to be force feeding him the ball.

4 points on 2-7 with 3 travels is vastly different than 4 points on 2-3 with no turnovers and outlet passes that lead to easy buckets….

joe needs to watch film of reggie miller and steph curry running off screens

he should be so tired from running around shot hunting for catch and shoot 3s that he needs several breaks a game...

It does not help that he is slow - and a confirmed 5-11 - Girard has always been an issue because we keep allowing him to do things he can’t - but after seeing how bad our forwards are - I’ve forgotten about Girards issues - thank God for Judah

It does not help that he is slow - and a confirmed 5-11 - Girard has always been an issue because we keep allowing him to do things he can’t - but after seeing how bad our forwards are - I’ve forgotten about Girards issues - thank God for Judah
yeah thats the point....screens can get slow people open

Didn’t you say he was better the last 2/3 of the game?

And Joe, like our guards for years are told to collapse to the foul line if you’re the weak side guard. I remember people used to hammer Cooney for that.

Yes I did but you stated the closeouts and shooter coverage not defense in general. I also said multiple times in the game thread that the D as a whole was bad at the beginning. Also I get the collapse and understand the concept but he goes too far and is slow to recover.

I’m more concerned about Benny than I am Joe. Joe’s doing what JB wants him to do like it or not.
Benny is coming along..it’s tough to see because of the ridiculous pedestal he was put on but he’s still learning this game. He’s got some elite characteristics that put him ahead of most high schoolers but he’s still a baby learning the game on a totally different stage/level. Let’s see how he progresses in the non conference

yeah thats the point...screens can get slow people open

True, that said... you have to correctly run through a screen and not leave a huge gap between the runner and the screener.

Benny is coming along..it’s tough to see because of the ridiculous pedestal he was put on but he’s still learning this game. He’s got some elite characteristics that put him ahead of most high schoolers but he’s still a baby learning the game on a totally different stage/level. Let’s see how he progresses in the non conference
It’s just disappointing that Brown, a freshman off the bench, seems to be so much more effective than Benny, a sophomore starter

There’s a lot more to offense than shooting the 3. If Bell can “shoot” but can’t dribble, pass, drive, move without the ball, etc….how often will he actually be helping us on offense?

Give me the guy who can finish efficiently around the basket, outlet pass, and be in the right spots in Brown, and the guy who can handle the ball, pass, and maybe get in the lane and score a little and maybe be in the right place for some garbage points in Copeland at this point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom