this play could have been even worse | Syracusefan.com

this play could have been even worse

upperdeck

Living Legend
Not only did it lead to a fumble that could have been a TD. it got the QB wrecked. How did we ran an 8 man protection against 4 rushers and screw it up so bad..

I would think its one of the first signs early of what happens when you move Oline guys to spots they dont play.. But still the comminication has to be better.. the DT was lined up to the centers right but almost even and stunted across his face. Why would Bliech expect the center to ever be picking that DT up? 27 is on the Tackle with a TE to help unless he was thinking the LB was gonna come too.. but even then if the tackle blocks down and he takes the DT the lb would have to go wide right to the TE and it was a 2 step drop play no time for outside pressure to really get home. He was looking to his right for some reason and ignoring the guy 2 beats from the QB?

but look a the lean on the LG/LT they are starting to slide right on the snap.. I think the center saw the NT move and reacted when he should have trusted the LG to slide to handle that.

1636038478906.png

1636038749876.png

Well it appears that the OL appears to have a slant to the right called and everyone took the guy to the right of them, well except the Center. It just happens that the RT has nobody to slant right to so he double teams the left DE as well. If everyone including the center would have slanted right every DL would have been accounted for and two guys would be double teaming their left DE. This would probably be easier if the Defense was lined up in the gaps. But instead the Center and LG in this 4 man front shifted to the left and are lined up head on. Not sure if they are supposed to abandon the slant and take the man right in front of them or not but i'd guess not. I would guess the fault is on the Center for not slanting right.

Well it appears that the OL appears to have a slant to the right called and everyone took the guy to the right of them, well except the Center. It just happens that the RT has nobody to slant right to so he double teams the left DE as well. If everyone including the center would have slanted right every DL would have been accounted for and two guys would be double teaming their left DE. This would probably be easier if the Defense was lined up in the gaps. But instead the Center and LG in this 4 man front shifted to the left and are lined up head on. Not sure if they are supposed to abandon the slant and take the man right in front of them or not but i'd guess not. I would guess the fault is on the Center for not slanting right.
Servais. He has had some moments for sure this year

yeah. coaches would have to have a plan for this though.. Either the center takes the DT on the shoulder and extands out as the LG takes over or the RG needs to handle it better. You would think that if the oline has a slant called you roll with it and at worse the DT comes thru and the LG pushes him a bit

Agree. It was similar to the play on Shrader's game-winning TD throw against VT. Defender was just ignored.

27 isn't a defensive end. He's a Lber. In no universe should we have to double a LBer on a quick slant regardless of the blocking scheme.

Not sure how Servais covers the DT #97 in the gap - even if he was Superman, snapping the ball to the QB at the LOS and then shifting that quickly in order to pick the guy up - best case scenario he gets a piece of him passing by which I still don't think alters the outcome of the play all that much.

This one to me is on Bleich - he has to have enough situational awareness to see that it's a Lber lining up against the RT and we shouldn't have to double team a LBer with a RG and a RT to properly block a play. The DT lining up between him and the C in a Gap on a snap where the QB is directly behind the C - that's going to cause a problem regardless of what blocking scheme was called.

27 isn't a defensive end. He's a Lber. In no universe should we have to double a LBer on a quick slant regardless of the blocking scheme.

Not sure how Servais covers the DT #97 in the gap - even if he was Superman, snapping the ball to the QB at the LOS and then shifting that quickly in order to pick the guy up - best case scenario he gets a piece of him passing by which I still don't think alters the outcome of the play all that much.

This one to me is on Bleich - he has to have enough situational awareness to see that it's a Lber lining up against the RT and we shouldn't have to double team a LBer with a RG and a RT to properly block a play. The DT lining up between him and the C in a Gap on a snap where the QB is directly behind the C - that's going to cause a problem regardless of what blocking scheme was called.
I agree.. new guy in a new spot.. but he would know what to do on the other side if the same thing was gonna happen. really the way the DT stunted the center has to cover it because if he jumps for the other DT the stunting one is coming free with no way for the LG to make that block either.. if anything perhaps the RB should be switching sides cause he might be able to get in the way but with a 2 step type drop pass called it was gonna be dicey if the RG doesnt block.. with the pass called why would you call that protection scheme anyway on the goal line. if you protect the middle 3 guys the ball is gone before a DE or LB can get around to cause an issue..

Actually I guess I agree with you. Because when i look at the second pic again it appears that Bleich has already come out of his stance and moved to his right a bit. I bet the DL in front of him was already slightly to Bleich's right at the snap. In that case I don't know how he isn't worried about him first when he knows the RT is going to take #27 and the Center is so far away. But Bleich's head was turned right the entire time like the guy in front of him was of no concern at all.

Definitely harder to break down stills than video LOL!

Actually I guess I agree with you. Because when i look at the second pic again it appears that Bleich has already come out of his stance and moved to his right a bit. I bet the DL in front of him was already slightly to Bleich's right at the snap. In that case I don't know how he isn't worried about him first when he knows the RT is going to take #27 and the Center is so far away. But Bleich's head was turned right the entire time like the guy in front of him was of no concern at all.
The other thing I noticed is that Davis at RT didn't shift right at all - he stayed home. So did Mang.

The other thing I noticed is that Davis at RT didn't shift right at all - he stayed home. So did Mang.
Well it looks like the play is probably a QB run to the right to me so Davis is just trying to seal off the edge rusher. And I would think Mang is probably not supposed to shift right, just make whatever block is necessary on the outside to spring the run. That is my guess anyway.

Well it looks like the play is probably a QB run to the right to me so Davis is just trying to seal off the edge rusher. And I would think Mang is probably not supposed to shift right, just make whatever block is necessary on the outside to spring the run. That is my guess anyway.
if it was a run right though then why would the Center care at all about the DT stunt to the backside, no way he makes that move and gets around the center and back to the play..

if it was a run right though then why would the Center care at all about the DT stunt to the backside, no way he makes that move and gets around the center and back to the play..
I'm not following you. The play appears to be going to the offenses right side, not the right side of the picture. The direction Shrader is running. So the penetrating DL is on the front side, not coming from the back side.

I'm not following you. The play appears to be going to the offenses right side, not the right side of the picture. The direction Shrader is running. So the penetrating DL is on the front side, not coming from the back side.
if it was a run to the right the dt cant go around the center and get to the play.. as it was a pass play and the QB doesnt move the center had to take the DT on and cant go after the other DT who went thru unblocked..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom