This play told me a lot about Cooney right now.. | Syracusefan.com

This play told me a lot about Cooney right now..

iommi

Living Legend
During the chaotic sequence of doom, right after Grant's missed dunk, the ball made its way to Cooney, WIDE OPEN...he did not want the shot. Instead, he passed the ball to Ennis, who tried a challenged three.

He has no confidence. When your only "shooter" (got to put that in quotes the way he's been shooting post-ND game), doesn't even want to take a huge shot unguarded, with the game in the balance, you are in deep doo doo.

I give CJ a pass. Yes, he was awful tonight, but he's earned a pass. Cooney has earned nothing and despite that has a leash that extends from Syracuse to Singapore.

During the chaotic sequence of doom, right after Grant's missed dunk, the ball made its way to Cooney, WIDE OPEN...he did not want the shot. Instead, he passed the ball to Ennis, who tried a challenged three.

He has no confidence. When your only "shooter" (got to put that in quotes the way he's been shooting post-ND game), doesn't even want to take a huge shot unguarded, with the game in the balance, you are in deep doo doo.

I give CJ a pass. Yes, he was awful tonight, but he's earned a pass. Cooney has earned nothing and despite that has a leash that extends from Syracuse to Singapore.
Has he made one big shot with less than 3 mins left this season?

replay time. Was Cooney inside the 3 pt line when he passed to Ennis?

I think the fact he was sitting with 2 minutes left tells you all you need to know about how the coach feels about him as well. Maybe that's part of the reason he did pass up that shot with PLENTY of time left. He was bad, and the ankle certainly doesn't make the shots easier.

iommi said:
During the chaotic sequence of doom, right after Grant's missed dunk, the ball made its way to Cooney, WIDE OPEN...he did not want the shot. Instead, he passed the ball to Ennis, who tried a challenged three. He has no confidence. When your only "shooter" (got to put that in quotes the way he's been shooting post-ND game), doesn't even want to take a huge shot unguarded, with the game in the balance, you are in deep doo doo. I give CJ a pass. Yes, he was awful tonight, but he's earned a pass. Cooney has earned nothing and despite that has a leash that extends from Syracuse to Singapore.

He was inside the 3 point line. Ennis wasn't.

anomander said:
He did manage to throw one off the top of the backboard and another 5 feet to the right of the rim on that possession so it's not like he didn't tryOh Lord

Real good looks too. We were chucking it up (don't know why). But we also had another 3 air ball in that sequence as well as a missed dunk.

Nope...look at it again. Wide open and both feet behind the line...But even if he had a foot on the line, he was unguarded...so he can't take one step back and fire?

I was thinking it was the fact that Cooney was on the bench with 3 minutes to play that told us everything we needed to know about Cooney and his confidence right now. JB put him back in with 24.6 seconds left because there was no choice as we were going to be down 3 on our trip back down the court.

I just watched the replay - he was beyond the arc and was wide open. With that said I don't get into all the psyche talk - he just made a bad decision on that play. He generally hasn't seemed hesitant to me - he just isn't making shots.

I was thinking it was the fact that Cooney was on the bench with 3 minutes to play that told us everything we needed to know about Cooney and his confidence right now. JB put him back in with 24.6 seconds left because there was no choice as we were going to be down 3 on our trip back down the court.

He came out because we started extending the zone and throwing in some traps. Tried to cause turnovers and it worked some. He wasn't taken out due to anyone's lack of confidence.

Doubt your thinking was even close. If you watched the game, Cooney was unable to move quickly in any direction after hurting his ankle. He was hopping up and down in place a lot but not able to change direction at all. Can't press if you can't move.

I'm not sure why anyone is dwelling on the last possession. the last 5 minutes was a comedy of errors. this is a fairly talented team that cant get out of its own way right now. they are losing all 50/50 plays and have no luck.

Yes lets blame a role player for the loss when our senior all american the bed big time.

Passing up on that shot tells me all I need to know about his psyche.

Yep. And I feel really badly for the poor kid. This shouldn't happen to anyone.

Doubt your thinking was even close. If you watched the game, Cooney was unable to move quickly in any direction after hurting his ankle. He was hopping up and down in place a lot but not able to change direction at all. Can't press if you can't move.

Eh, he actually played better with the hurt ankle.

Yes lets blame a role player for the loss when our senior all american the bed big time.

When our star player had a bad game people need to step up. Cooney at some point needs to give us something. He doesn't rebound. He does't create offense for anyone. His defense is pretty subpar. He has to hit shots - and honestly he's been getting a decent amount of good looks of late. You can't have a two guard that gives you nothing. It's never going to be a recipe for success.

We can't go far with everyone always having to make up for Cooney's deficiencies. He needs to get on track.

I'm hoping he does.

I wasn't aware role players average more than 30 mpg a game.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom