This season (long) | Syracusefan.com

This season (long)

Rocco

Watching you.
While we sit here at 5-5 and hindsight always being 20-20, we could certainly have an 8-2 or maybe even a 9-1 record. The mistakes, failed execution, turnovers, Pop Warner-esque ST's and unbearable penalties have certainly cost us several wins and a BE championship accompanied by an invite to the Orange Bowl. Frustrating as all hell.

With that being said, I am incredibly proud of this coaching staff and these players for coming to fight back week after week especially after some of those heart-breaking, depressing losses. It would've been easier for them to just hang up their spirits and keep their heads hanging. But they didn't. They game planned for each game and believed in what they worked on all spring and thoughout summer camp. Sure, some of the gameplans didn't work out, but what we did against USC (even though it was a loss), UConn and Louisville was impressive. We won the battle in the trenches against Pitt in a defensive showdown and clawed back from the largest deficit in school history to stun USF on the road. There have been improvements all over the field on offense and defense. Marrone is finally proving to us what he preached the day he stepped onto campus about an up-tempo, gun-slinging, high-powered offense. Shafer's D has shown the aggressive ball-hawking, gang-tackling teamwork that we all love to see.

Ft Drum was a memorable experience, many on here might disagree, but it was a positive experience overall. I got to watch how the team acted up there. It was pretty sweet. There is something to be said about team unity. This didn't hurt.

There are numerous statistics to fire off on here, but I don't feel like putting them altogether. Our offense is going to go down as one of the best in school history. Nassib will have shattered most of the major passing records by the time he graduates. Lemon will have shattered most of the receiving records as well. Lemon, Sales and West have shown to be a 3-headed receiving monster that has been good all year. We eclipsed 450 yards like 5 times this year already, with 2 hopefully 3 games left. Our offense hasn't consistently done that in well over a decade. It is exciting as hell to watch when the team plays to their potential. We have many kids on the offense that will be given a look at the next level.

We are losing Nassib, Lemon, Sales, Chibane and maybe Pugh next year. They will be tough to replace no doubt, but I am incredibly bullish about the players who will be asked to step up. Funderburk (or Quinda Funderburg aka Wayne Morgan according to the Big10 Network) is a freak and will be either the 1 or 2 receiver next year. We have West coming back, Foster will be healthy, Keenan Hale, Ben Lewis (who I thought was incredible at Ft Drum), Cornelius and Flemming just to name a few. At TE, we have Wales, Parris and hopefully Thompson. At QB, it will either be Loeb, Hunt or Zach Allen. Loeb is clearly the most comfortable with the playbook and has a great arm. Hunt is athletic and can use his feet to hurt you. From tape, Zach Allen looks to be very good all-around, but may need a year to get his head up to speed and to get a year of lifting in the S&C program. Either way, this will be one helluva battle to watch come spring and summer. Our O-Line will still have Pugh (possibly), Hickey, Macky, Trudo, Foy, Robinson, Knapp, Emerich, Phillips and Palmer. Our starting 5 (with Pugh) would be Pugh, Robinson, Macky, Trudo and Hickey. Smith, PTG and AAM are back. We also have AB, Morris and McFarlane. Morris and McFarlane are quick and fast. One of them will get time next year, count on it. That is a STABLE of running backs. We have a newly found fullback in Lewelyn Coker. He has shown his value at times this year. I don't think he will head back to offense, JMO. All in all, that is alot of talent coming back to play.

On defense, we are losing a few huge leaders in Shamarko, Goggins and Sharpe. We're also losing Anderson and Diabate (who has been pleasantly surprising). We have alot of athletes on that side of the ball. Next year's DLine will be MPB, Brom, Crume and Robinson/Welsh. Wayne Williams, John Raymon, Walls, ZJones, Simmons, Manley and Coleman will be in the mix. At LB, we certainly have a depth issue. Spruill, Davis, Lynch, Vigille and Washington will be back. Devan Carter and Marqez Hodge might be asked to play ST's, maybe even some PT at LB. Don't be surprised to see us land a big JUCO Mike. That would fill a huge need. If not, expect Washington to get a long look at the Mike. At DB, we are loaded. Reddish and Lyn will be lockdown corners. Wayne Morgan and Whigs are not far behind. Esk and Wilkes will be the safeties, with Desir and Ford backing up. Love the speed and coverage skills of these kids. Looking forward to see all of them play together.

I really do think many people place too much emphasis on the star rankings for recruiting purposes. The "sites" are run by for-profit businesses that cater to their membership numbers of certain fan bases. Don't overlook that. We have landed good recruits, we have good recruits coming in. Recruiting is on the up and up. Recruiting in-roads are continually being worked and developed. We start playing ball in the ACC next year which will help considerably in some of our target areas. We need to focus on bringing in OL, LB and DB's the rest of the way. We play better opponents and will be able to bring more marquee opponents into the Dome for improved recruiting experiences. Hopefully, attendance will trend upwards. Our facilities are improving. They aren't great, but they are certainly alot better than they were 4 years ago. With wins comes more money into the program. The new ACC deal should help immensely from a financial perspective.

This is really way longer than I anticipated. Hard to hide my emotion and passion for SU football. I freaking want this program to succeed so badly that it truly hurts when we lose. The best part about this board is that there are many people that feel the same way as I do, and we can all praise the wins and loathe the losses. I think Marrone is the right man for the job from many different perspectives (see his speech below, love it). He is a great man at heart, he does a ton for his players and the community; he is an SU alum; he has already said that he isn't going anywhere and that this is his dream job (huge these days); is beginning to show the fans/recruits what his offensive brain can create on the field and is starting to show emotion on the sidelines (;)). I don't think he is going anywhere either. Just saying.

If we can win one more game this year, we are likely headed to the Pinstripe Bowl again (and I will be there). That is 15 more practices, which are gigantic in this day and age. 15 more times the coaching staff can coach the players, and 15 more times the players can continue learning the playbook and mastering their unique skill sets. It is added revenue to the school. It is national TV exposure. It is a recruiting tool. It is alot of very positive things. If we don't make a bowl game, I will be ready to drink Drain-O. No question. However, I will still be proud of this team for turning a 2-4 season into something entertaining for the fans. We've shown signs, we just need to continue to play near mistake-free football and we can beat anyone left this year.

Let's. Go. Orange.

I gree it been a very long time since the offense could be praised and recognized. Finally the O-line is performing according to design. The super good news is that all but one returns next year. Chibane will be easy enough to replace by Knapp or Palmer . I;m gathering up for a layman's perspective for 2013 after this season is done and in the books including recruiting. The big "if is Laray Smith that might impact the backfield next year. I have my doubts that he comes here. Personally speaking I really want that kind of speed in our running game I love Jerome Smith but he isn't a "snap and 6" kind of RB.A combo of Smith and Smith could be news worthy in 2013.:eek:

Minor note- Anderson has another year left after this. He sat out all of 2010.

The OL is the biggest thing. For SO long, fans here expected the OL to be good and it wasn't happening. We had some decent offensive talent who struggled because we could never patch together an OL that could measure up. It really was a slow process for HCDM, but I really think we will have good OL groups from year to year now. Better recruits. Better coaching. And solid OL play will go a long way to helping establish some exciting offensive players.

I was just about to ask this. I thought he had one more year. I seem to recall you keeping track of eligibility. Any chance you can repost it if you have it handy?

Sorry, I was just excited... that we weren't going to be getting burnt on deep routes any more. ;)

Kobena has to be the most forgotten WR on this team. I think he's in the top 3 rotation with West and Funderburke next year. That group can be pretty good, but I worry about losing Lemon, just understands the position and offense so well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

While we sit here at 5-5 and hindsight always being 20-20, we could certainly have an 8-2 or maybe even a 9-1 record. The mistakes, failed execution, turnovers, Pop Warner-esque ST's and unbearable penalties have certainly cost us several wins and a BE championship accompanied by an invite to the Orange Bowl. Frustrating as all hell.

With that being said, I am incredibly proud of this coaching staff and these players for coming to fight back week after week especially after some of those heart-breaking, depressing losses. It would've been easier for them to just hang up their spirits and keep their heads hanging. But they didn't. They game planned for each game and believed in what they worked on all spring and thoughout summer camp. Sure, some of the gameplans didn't work out, but what we did against USC (even though it was a loss), UConn and Louisville was impressive. ...

Fun post to read. No reason to worry about being pessimistic after that W on Saturday. I think the one thing that's interesting to point out is that as frustrating as that NW game was and although we came up short vs. USC, those were, truly, moral victories. You always hear people claiming that there is no such thing as moral victories, but they really do exist. You could see the improvement offensively and the ability to pick up yards and score points couldn't help but make this team better.

As long as we make a bowl, I think it's safe to say this is by far the best team we've had since some point in the P era (I don't feel like looking that up).

That said, replacing Nassib could be a very difficult task. And I think there's a difference between having some talented WRs and really productive WRs. Everybody's excited about all the young names at WR, but Lemon/Sales have been really lethal.

SU has eclipsed 500 yds 5 times so far not 450. Theyaverage 473 and counting and are likely to end up with th highest average in school history.

great post very well written. I have been beyond frustrated with DM many times. For me it has always been about the program and regardless of what i have thought about Doug as a coach or Hacks play calling i believe very strongly that these guys are all about the program the players and the school. The growth that Doug has shown this year along with Hack has been very impressive. It seems as if they are truly getting comfortable with who they are as coaches. Great to see and happy for them and everyone involved. To know that we can play with any team on our schedule says it all. Thanks for a great post.

Kobena has to be the most forgotten WR on this team. I think he's in the top 3 rotation with West and Funderburke next year. That group can be pretty good, but I worry about losing Lemon, just understands the position and offense so well.

Yeah, I think he's one of the really dangerous guys we have. No idea why he gets left out a lot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I think he's one of the really dangerous guys we have. No idea why he gets left out a lot.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Seeing him burn Louisville early AND adjust to the underthrown ball was like gold, Jerry.

Kind of a forgotten play in what became 3 quarters of big plays.

In hindsight I'm p issed at Shafer. If he lets Louisville score more often, we could have had 60+ points and 700+ yards. Instead we had to spend the 4th Q running out the clock..yawn.

True the secondary appears to be in good hands.The backers might get the three card monty look. Siriki is gone and Spruill s the one with experience there unless Vigille or Carter get a lok. I expect Desir to put on a few lbs if he is going to stay at SS I love his quickness in there . A bit quicker in close than even Shamarko at times.Washington and Simmons have too much speed to be sitting or sidelined. IMO.

Chris Clarke comes back next year as well and he has great speed
Addf underburke, Cornelius and Lewis along with Hale to that mix. Flemming never got started this year.

I get all excited and leave out a few players at WR (clark, kobena). The depth is absurd. Still think its QF, west and foster as top 3.

Maybe we should just go 5 WR sets more often next yr.

I agree with Rocco's post that began this thread -- the SU community should be proud of what this coaching staff and team have put together. They are relevant in mid-November, with a fighting chance to do something exciting (knock off Missouri).

We ought to acknowledge we have been particularly fortunate. We have a veteran offense, with three leaders who have turned out to be better than many expected (Nassib, Lemon & Smith). Our key guys are all healthy -- not many teams can say that at this point in the season and it sure wasn't true last season at this stage. We rotate enough guys (finally) to keep our players fresh. We have unusual balance in running & passing to keep defenses off-balance.

Maybe the base is in place to project good results as we step up to the ACC. Maybe -- we lose the core of our passing game and possibly our stellar L-OT. It would sure help to see successes in the recruiting battles this December, and some JUCO help at MLB, OT and strong safety.

Win some November games -- stay relevant -- Go Orange.

Rocco...I'd almost say that even with hindsight I wouldn't say 20/20 with this team. We've had some incredible/interesting things happen and even if done differently who knows. In baseball terms it does seem that when SU hangs a curve or drops a foul ball...they payed dearly for it. Good teams take advantage of mistakes made by other teams and average ones don't.

Agree SoBristol, the seniors (Pugh as well) have stepped up and having the players rotated (a second thank god) has been a great addition to the depth for building towards the future a well as being effective during game day.

Good teams take advantage of mistakes made by other teams and average ones don't.

No question here. Us putting ourselves in those situations caused 2-3 of those losses. If we cut out the mistakes and bonehead penalties, we don't lose those games. I believe that.

I know we laid our eggs with special teams, but over the last few games I fell as if they are becoming much improved compared to where we were a few years ago. We have a kicker that can kick it out of the end zone and coverage has been pretty tight when you consider the fact that a kick off or punt would usually net a team 20 + yards. The chink right now is field goal/expt and punters (although punting was excellent at UL). I do see an upswing in special teams and Coker is in the middle of that conversation too. Could go from being a side note to a major glue guy that holds all the units together. It is awesome to see a kid fight hard and get rewarded. I was so psyched when he caught that TD.

We've been in every game and to be honest could have won each one one...in each game in the 4th quarter. That said, a lot of teams can say if they cut out the bone head plays they would have won.

Is it a forgone conclusion that Bromley comes back next year? At worst he's been our second best defensive player. What are the chances he makes the jump?

Is it a forgone conclusion that Bromley comes back next year? At worst he's been our second best defensive player. What are the chances he makes the jump?

Promise him he can play DE!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom