This shows how out of the box last year was for the program | Syracusefan.com

This shows how out of the box last year was for the program

GoSU96

Living Legend
So was last year the new normal or an aberration? Not sure anyone here thought the path to success was being a run heavy team with Dino, but he fit his approach to the talents of his team, OL and big athlete at QB.

Crazy delta's from prior seasons.

It’s interesting because what I see is a relatively flat progression of our passing efficiency but a huge uptick in our running efficiency. This data looks like it was observed by Dino and he made the rational move to more usage of running since that was the portion of the offense that became relatively more efficient.

My expectation is that our rushing efficiency stays roughly the same (or slightly better) next year but our passing game efficiency gets a big bump. I will also venture to guess that Dino will lean on the passing game harder again, given it will become the more efficient part of our offense again.

These guesses are all predicated on my belief that Dino values the highest expected value for points above all else. This means whatever bias leads to the greatest expected point value will dictate what his offensive bias will be for a season, a game, a quarter, a drive or a play.

Yeah he wants to run. we got the guys now and it will let Td work into the qb he should be with out a ton of pressure in theory. Lol. I love Neal but boy Adams will rock it.

I love this trend. Really looking forward to enjoying 5 yards per carry this coming year - and seeing it accomplished at warp speed. Wonder when we last averaged 5 YPC?

+13 in the turnover margin is my big takeaway. We got a lot of extra possessions last year, and made them count.
That will be tough to match, but if we can, we win 10+ again. If not, I still think we can win 7-9 games.

Just a reminder that HCDB always expects to run as well as pass. He said when the team is where he expects we will have 5,000 yards passing and two 1,000 yard rushers (3,000 yard total rush, maybe?). He coach s a complete team. Specials included. We are still on the uptick and closer to the plateau, but not there yet.

With Adams leading the running backs and TD passing all over the field, the game could be wide open this fall.

I don't feel like looking up the numbers, but we know Dungey was responsible for a lot of the rushing numbers, epecially td's. We also know Devito isn't that type of player and Dino doesn't really want that from his QB. I will be interested to see if we can match or exceed the rushing numbers with the production coming from RB's. It will probably mean a combination of better blocking from the oline along with more dynamic running from the RB position, which we think Adams will give us. If we match the rushing numbers, I expect a jump in passing numbers with an improved group of recievers and Devito being a more gifted passer that fits what Dino wants to do.

I love this trend. Really looking forward to enjoying 5 yards per carry this coming year - and seeing it accomplished at warp speed. Wonder when we last averaged 5 YPC?
Looking forward to a lot of "2nd down & 5" type situations. Coupled with our fast-paced, no huddle approach (which prevents defensive substitutions), it really puts opposing DCs in a quandary what to scheme for.

Well - it basically comes down to:
Good teams run the ball well.

2012 & 2018 both had good run games, AND good pass games, AND good D. :cool:

So - it's not a surprise that both those teams had excellent winning seasons.

Well - it basically comes down to:
Good teams run the ball well.

2012 & 2018 both had good run games, AND good pass games, AND good D. :cool:

So - it's not a surprise that both those teams had excellent winning seasons.

The story of 2012 was turning the ball over against NWestern, Minnesota, and Rutgers. Minnesota and Rutgers were 7 and 8 point losses in games where TO's were 4-0 against and Rutgers returned a blocked FG for a TD.

the passing game makes it easier to run, but the running game makes it easier to pass for bigger chunks

if you have better WRs that can win the 1-1 and can run effectively then the safeties have to help both sides. we are just getting to where we can run enough to make the safety play run first and our WR are getting better for the 1-1 battles. Now we have added hopefully 1-2 RBs that can also win the 1-1 battles and not just take what is given to them.

when we start to be able to run, when we want, in short yardage we will really see the offense take off.

I don't feel like looking up the numbers, but we know Dungey was responsible for a lot of the rushing numbers, epecially td's. We also know Devito isn't that type of player and Dino doesn't really want that from his QB. I will be interested to see if we can match or exceed the rushing numbers with the production coming from RB's. It will probably mean a combination of better blocking from the oline along with more dynamic running from the RB position, which we think Adams will give us. If we match the rushing numbers, I expect a jump in passing numbers with an improved group of recievers and Devito being a more gifted passer that fits what Dino wants to do.
This is a really good post. The way we got to those rushing totals probably isn't the way Babers would ideally get there, having relied so much on the QB running.

I still don't think we've ever seen this offense perform well, relative to what it can be. I don't think we're far off though.

The story of 2012 was turning the ball over against NWestern, Minnesota, and Rutgers. Minnesota and Rutgers were 7 and 8 point losses in games where TO's were 4-0 against and Rutgers returned a blocked FG for a TD.

The other story was 4 Power 5 OOC games, three of them away from the Dome. 3 of the 4, all losses, were played when the offense was still working out the kinks. Those two losses you mention were brutal

O-Line,O-Line,O-Line,O-Line. Man,would I love to have a cup of coffe with Mike Cavanaugh and Mike Lynch to get there view of our personnel there.
That cats out of the bag. First time Babers ever said they were looking for GT's. LT's... As much of a challenge to the current group. All 4 incoming can play T. Just a matter of who is most ready. P.Davis was moved to G, Clark on the 2's, but didn't play, last year. Redshirts. Q moved to guard. Spring game Red, Froumy, Clark, Vett needed work against the 1's, with Vett doing best- IMO.

My guess is Servais/GT at tackle. After that, a tossup. Need to stay healthy at tackle. Rest of the line? They look good. If Heckel goes down at C, I'd prefer they kept Servais outside. Duerig looked serviceable there.

That cats out of the bag. First time Babers ever said they were looking for GT's. LT's... As much of a challenge to the current group. All 4 incoming can play T. Just a matter of who is most ready. P.Davis was moved to G, Clark on the 2's, but didn't play, last year. Redshirts. Q moved to guard. Spring game Red, Froumy, Clark, Vett needed work against the 1's, with Vett doing best- IMO.

My guess is Servais/GT at tackle. After that, a tossup. Need to stay healthy at tackle. Rest of the line? They look good. If Heckel goes down at C, I'd prefer they kept Servais outside. Duerig looked serviceable there.
When you say GT at LT, are you talking about Ryan Alexander or a GTTBD? ;)

All good points. I'd especially point to the last sentence - that we've not seen this offense pass the ball efficiently enough to create the kind of running lanes Dino wants. So - TD gets the ball out faster, more accurately - and the running will be downhill more than it has due to less people in the box. Also remember that DC's were spying on Dungey with a LB - they can more freely manipulate that player.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom