This team, '16-17 team | Syracusefan.com

This team, '16-17 team

pearl31

in cahoots
The White/Gillon team. So similar.
If this team, like that one, could play a reasonable semblance of consistent defense - and could bring a reasonable semblance of energy from game to game - and could put an actual center on the floor for meaningful minutes...
it would be a dangerous team in March with the efficient offense it brings.
It's kind of a shame.

edit: also a talented forward mostly wasted at center for both teams

If this team, like that one, could play a reasonable semblance of consistent defense - and could bring a reasonable semblance of energy from game to game - and could put an actual center on the floor for meaningful minutes...
It's kind of a shame.

I think I remember that team beating some real good teams. I don't think this team is capable of that.

John Gillon > Joe Girard
Andrew White > Buddy Boeheim
Tyler Lydon > Allen Griffin
Taurean Thompson < Quincy Guerrier
Paschal Chukwu = Marek Dolezaj

If the 16-17 team could actually defend, they'd have made the tournament. They had great wins over UVA, Florida State and Duke that year. It was a weird team. They'd punch above their level and then come crashing down to Earth losing to terrible teams like Georgia Tech and Boston College.

I think I remember that team beating some real good teams. I don't think this team is capable of that.
eh I'd say
A) walloping a good VT team
B) losing chances to even play at home against teams like Fla St, L'vlle, Clemson

It's kind of a shame.

I might not believe during the game when we are at what seems to be at our absolute worst. But I never give up on the season until we are officially out of the tourney. SU and JB have proved us wrong all too many times. I just stay away from all the negative threads but I still believe in the boys!

‘16/‘17 was a much better team.

Tend to agree. Much better offensively, and able to actually outscore / outgun opponents. I think we beat three top 10 teams that year, despite being atrocious defensively.

This current team seems capable of consistently beating the teams they should, but not punching above their weight, IMO.

‘16/‘17 was a much better team.
I don't think so, and the results would back that up
(see games against St.Johns, BC, etc - not being competetive on the road against the good teams)

Tend to agree. Much better offensively, and able to actually outscore / outgun opponents. I think we beat three top 10 teams that year, despite being atrocious defensively.

This current team seems capable of consistently beating the teams they should, but not punching above their weight, IMO.
Agree to disagree. If you look at the #s that team was not "much" better offensively

(see games against St.Johns, BC, etc - not being competetive on the road against the good teams)

That BC loss triggered big changes to the lineup. And from there, the team took off.

Problem was, it took JB too long to pull the trigger on making those changes, and by then it was too hard to dig out of the worst preseason schedule performance we'd ever had. And the team still came within a game of doing so.

I think we beat three top 10 teams that year, despite being atrocious defensively.
It was a very strange year. We beat #6 FSU, #9 Virginia and #10 Duke, and took #8 Louisville to OT.

But then we lost to UConn who had a losing record, Georgetown who had a losing record, were utterly humiliated at home by a St. Johns team with a losing record, and also lost to 9-23 BC.

lol. ppl sure have selective memories. that team won a few exciting What games but was awful on defense and barely had a pulse on the road

Agree to disagree. If you look at the #s that team was not "much" better offensively

Numbers don't tell the entire story. I'd take that group any day offensively, based upon the eye test. White and Gillon, with Battle and Lydon as complimentary players, were much more potent.

Especially given the shooting of Buddy / JGIII this year.

That BC loss triggered big changes to the lineup. And from there, the team took off.

Problem was, it took JB too long to pull the trigger on making those changes, and by then it was too hard to dig out of the worst preseason schedule performance we'd ever had. And the team still came within a game of doing so.

Yup. Had he benched Frankie for JG, and played Uncle Drew at the 3, rather than him trying to audition as a SG in our D, we would have been a much more competitive team sooner.

But that said - we still had a coupla WHAT? (Jackie Chan emoji here) games against beatable teams after those changes were made too.

lol. ppl sure have selective memories. that team won a few exciting What games but was awful on defense and barely had a pulse on the road

You're making the mistake of looking at the year as a whole, and using games from early in the season to gauge how "good" that team was, instead of looking at it from January 2nd on. After JB changed the lineup, the team became much more formidable. Far from perfect, they were incredibly bad defensively, but they sure could gunsling.

Because if we'd started with the lineup we'd fielded from 1/2 for the entire year, they would have beaten the likes of St. John's, BC, and several others.

toward the end of the year that team played at L'vlle and wasn't even close to competative, same issues fromm earlier that year, players visibly disinterested.
all told that was a very mediocre, if offensively competent team

You're making the mistake of looking at the year as a whole, and using games from early in the season to gauge how "good" that team was, instead of looking at it from January 2nd on. After JB changed the lineup, the team became much more formidable. Far from perfect, they were incredibly bad defensively, but they sure could gunsling.

Because if we'd started with the lineup we'd fielded from 1/2 for the entire year, they would have beaten the likes of St. John's, BC, and several others.
I'm "making a mistake" of looking at the year as a whole??

toward the end of the year that team played at L'vlle and wasn't even close to competative, same issues fromm earlier that year, players visibly disinterested.
all told that was a very mediocre, if offensively competent team

And last night we played at Duke and got the doors blown off. So...

I'm "making a mistake" of looking at the year as a whole??

Yes, for the reasons outlined. That year was a tale of two different starting lineups. Can that even be disputed?

I think ‘16/‘17 played in a far more competitive ACC and beat top 10 teams while doing it. Its not close really.

I think we saw last night what Battle, Lydon, Gillon and White would do to us. Rain 3’s.

Numbers don't tell the entire story. I'd take that group any day offensively, based upon the eye test. White and Gillon, with Battle and Lydon as complimentary players, were much more potent.

Especially given the shooting of Buddy / JGIII this year.

Yeah, we had THREE guys who all shot OVER 40% from 3, and on decent volume.
(in AWIII's case, record volume).

(OK, Lydon was "only" 39.5% from 3. Sue me.)

Battle also shot just shy of 37% - which would make him this year's sharpshooter.

Exactly.
uh isn't that my point?

You know what...

Have a good day. This is a pointless discussion. If the '17 team and this team played, I know which team I'd expect to win -- and it wouldn't be the current group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom