This Team Loses Because it Doesn't Know How to Win | Syracusefan.com

This Team Loses Because it Doesn't Know How to Win

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
You can blame Dino, the Offensive Coordinator, the refs, the clock operator, Szmyt, the holder, the guy who sells beer. It comes down to the TEAM coming out and gritting out wins. Simple as that. Let's hope they've learned enough to beat a frankly poor VT team and take it from there.

You can blame Dino, the Offensive Coordinator, the refs, the clock operator, Szmyt, the holder, the guy who sells beer. It comes down to the TEAM coming out and gritting out wins. Simple as that. Let's hope they've learned enough to beat a frankly poor VT team and take it from there.
yep it's this week or never (meaning for this season). I like the way things are shaping up, injuries don't look too bad, they're on their heels a bit, noonish start, etc. Think we start the process of learning exactly what you are posting on here. LFGO!

In the losses, talent level seems similar to opponents so the games should naturally be close in score. The kids aren't perfect and will make mistakes, but so does the other team. Could argue some mistakes can be traced back to coaching. But specific coaching decisions, play calls, clock mgt. do make a difference. Case in point going the other way, Liberty coach made a dumb decision and we got the benefit of the W that time. Also, don't get me started on the abysmal refs.

the team has not been allowed to win. i would not blame this team for s...!

So we won 3 games this year but we don’t know how to win?

Our defense made a strip sack to beat Liberty but we don’t know how to win?

We are losing because coaching is making mistakes in tight games that break games against us.
Plain and simple.
Or the players aren’t making plays like they did against Liberty.

That is all.

The last four games in a row that we’ve played have come down to the last play. We’ve won 1/4 of those. Clock management matters, discernment matters. Coaching matters. Our players have been playing just fine.
When you outgain your opponent, in particular the dominance in rushing, games shouldn’t come down to one play, you should be winning comfortably.

Yeah, sure, players play. But these players have played well enough to win and that’s not a question. Coaching matters.
I'm not sure. Certainly, they have played well enough to have a chance to win, but for different reasons in each game, they didn't do enough. The four losses are squarely on everyone: coaches, refs, our players missing plays and the other guys players making plays.

When you outgain your opponent, in particular the dominance in rushing, games shouldn’t come down to one play, you should be winning comfortably.
Be that as it may, that’s where this program is right now. It’s not reasonable to demand that players cover up their HC’s shortcomings.

What does "knowing how to win" even mean? serious question
I 100% get the frustration. So please note, I am not being dismissive.

I'll give you one example of learning how to win: Scoring touchdowns when in the red zone. We've struggled in this area this season. I think I saw 57% for this season. If we up that to 65%-70% ... the wins would likely begin flowing.

It's not always play calling either. Schrader (I love him), threw a bone-headed INT (on first down, even worse) against Clemson after the long Tucker run. Two Clemson dudes could have picked it off. We score a TD there and the game just might be different. He'll learn that is a ball to throw away next year.

We got stuffed inside the 5 IIRC at FSU on 4th&1. Give them credit, but I think in the future, with weapons like Schrader and Tucker, we will be better. The OLine will get this right by next season with Schmidt on the scene.

Remember, Dungey's teams struggled to learn how to win, too, then they won 10 games. Looking back on 2018, the wins over NCSU, UNC and BC were games where I would say we won because we made winning plays in bigger moments. By my estimation, we learned how to win that year (did not hurt we had a veteran squad that year).

Last edited:
Am I going to have to pull out the Al Pacino clip from Any Given Sunday on how every inch (and every single in game decision) matters?

Yeah, sure, players play. But these players have played well enough to win and that’s not a question. Coaching matters.
In a game of inches and seconds especially. It’s our -3 spread disadvantage basically

Am I going to have to pull out the Al Pacino clip from Any Given Sunday on how every inch (and every single in game decision) matters?
Scary

What does "knowing how to win" even mean? serious question
I believe in this. Coaching a young club baseball team I know it’s true. You have to learn how to finish, not make little errors into big innings, to pile on runs when you can, to not make outs at third base. Basically do the opposite of the Yankees this year