This used to be vacation time for the coaches | Syracusefan.com

This used to be vacation time for the coaches

Dcuse

All Conference
With this "brilliant" new idea for transferring I would have to imagine that it's changed to a tremendously anxious and busy time for them to fill this partially depleted roster. We have probably 10+ spots to fill before the fall hits. I'm hoping we're on it. I feel bad for the coaches and their families.

i had beers with a coach in the ISL in the Boston area recently (where many of the D1 football players are coming from in the area) and he said he gets inquiries from college football assistants asking about job opportunities in the HS world.

I think the worm is going to turn for those assistants working 80 hours a week, not making transcendant money, and traveling like a circus freak every 3 years.

With this "brilliant" new idea for transferring I would have to imagine that it's changed to a tremendously anxious and busy time for them to fill this partially depleted roster. We have probably 10+ spots to fill before the fall hits. I'm hoping we're on it. I feel bad for the coaches and their families.
No, wrong. There aren't 10+ spots to fill and coaches normally take vacation in July because that's when it's the Dead Period.

No, wrong. There aren't 10+ spots to fill and coaches normally take vacation in July because that's when it's the Dead Period.
Let's see... we have 75 Scholarship players including freshman coming in that weren't here in the spring( always possible they don't all make it). You're allowed 85...my math says 10+ and No,wrong. Coaches took vacations right after Spring ball in the old days when your recruiting class was done and football activities finished.

Except that we have 78 scholarship players.

Let's see... we have 75 Scholarship players including freshman coming in that weren't here in the spring( always possible they don't all make it). You're allowed 85...my math says 10+ and No,wrong. Coaches took vacations right after Spring ball in the old days when your recruiting class was done and football activities finished.
Maybe in the "old" days but they have been taking vacation in July for years now. They do it during the Dead Period for recruiting which is July. Right now coaches are out on the road because it is an evaluation period.
And there are transfers who won't be on campus until July. My guess is Emily made an error in her "estimated" count. I have more faith in a count by OrangeXtreme than Emily.

Coach P always took his Rhode Island vacations in July.

i had beers with a coach in the ISL in the Boston area recently (where many of the D1 football players are coming from in the area) and he said he gets inquiries from college football assistants asking about job opportunities in the HS world.

I think the worm is going to turn for those assistants working 80 hours a week, not making transcendant money, and traveling like a circus freak every 3 years.
The life of a D1 college football coach seems absolutely miserable. And it's worse now than ever. I question the sanity of anyone who chooses to be in that profession.

Emily only listed 74 players.

And she omitted Ty Gordon, Khalib Gilmore, Isaiah Johnson, and Jeremiah Wilson.
My bad for trusting the Syracuse Football Beat writer then I guess. So we need 7+ to fill roster...right?

Except that we have 78 scholarship players.

Someone has been reading Emily’s column. She missed Bass, Gilmore and Isaiah Johnson.

The life of a D1 college football coach seems absolutely miserable. And it's worse now than ever. I question the sanity of anyone who chooses to be in that profession.

what's the low end of P5 making these days? A couple hundred thousand? The NC State Cornerbacks coach makes $365,854. That's a pretty good living working 80 hours a week or not.

Neighbor was su football coach for a while. Never got a break. 12 months per year.
A few years after we moved to Michigan, a family moved into the neighborhood from Syracuse. The husband had coached under both Mac and Coach P and had just joined the MSU staff. He loved both Mac and P according to his wife. After a year, he took a job in the NFL and coached with a fair number of NFL teams before presumably retiring a few years ago.

Our wives became friends but I never once met him. He was literally never around. Despite never meeting me, he had his wife give me one of his SU coaching staff shirts when they left.

It seemed like a tough life for a guy with a wife and young kids. The money is decent but you are a nomad with no family life. Or it seemed like he was, anyway.

what's the low end of P5 making these days? A couple hundred thousand? The NC State Cornerbacks coach makes $365,854. That's a pretty good living working 80 hours a week or not.
I don't think that's a good salary for those hours at all. There are loads of execs who put in 50-ish hour weeks who make high six-figures.

I don't think that's a good salary for those hours at all. There are loads of execs who put in 50-ish hour weeks who make high six-figures.

pushing sales goals vs watching film, recruiting and coaching ? IDK man...these guys love what they do. I know given the choice for 350k, I'd rather be watching film at midnight than pushing my team to hit their sales targets when it's quarter or monthly close. And I don't know an exec that works 50ish hours a week, maybe they exist. The manager running the corner Stewarts works that much (50ish hrs) for 50k. They'd have to work 7 years to make what the NC State position coach makes.

there are way more people working 80 hrs a week making 40-50k than making 350K.. lots of people working 50-60hrs week for no extra money as salaried workers too,

there are way more people working 80 hrs a week making 40-50k than making 350K.. lots of people working 50-60hrs week for no extra money as salaried workers too,
Do people really understand what 80 hours a week is? At minimum, that's 11.5 hours a day, 7 days a week. Obviously it's higher if we're talking 5 or 6 days/week.

There are not a lot of people doing that.

pushing sales goals vs watching film, recruiting and coaching ? IDK man...these guys love what they do. I know given the choice for 350k, I'd rather be watching film at midnight than pushing my team to hit their sales targets when it's quarter or monthly close. And I don't know an exec that works 50ish hours a week, maybe they exist. The manager running the corner Stewarts works that much (50ish hrs) for 50k. They'd have to work 7 years to make what the NC State position coach makes.
College coaches have college degrees. And most of them are pretty smart. With the networks they have access to coming out of school, many could get finance-type jobs and make a few hundred grand working 55-ish hours a week. That's far from uncommon.

People should do what they love, obviously. So if the college coaching grind is what someone wants to do, I'm certainly not disparaging it. But it's a crazy way to make a living. There are far easier paths for similar money.

Do people really understand what 80 hours a week is? At minimum, that's 11.5 hours a day, 7 days a week. Obviously it's higher if we're talking 5 or 6 days/week.

I can say I watched this dude leave the house at 6am when I was walking dog and regularly return after dark all year. seemed to get worse in football season. Was it 6 days per week? can't remember, but the dude was married to job. I regularly remark to wife, it's not a life I'd choose regardless of the salary.

Well then i talked with half a dozen in florida this week. working 3-4 jobs each.

But I agree its hard to work 80. Starting out working 60 a week was the norm and that was not really that hard. Getting to 80 was really a grind. But if you told me i was going to make 350K well then.

I guess you also have to decide what makes up the 80 hrs for a coach.. I would think the work schedule during the game yr would be quite different than during the off season.

Does traveling count as work hrs?

If you enjoy the talking dance of recruiting, then there is a lot of hrs in a day. Much like many people spend hrs a day on message boards :)