This year is JBs best chance at NC | Syracusefan.com

This year is JBs best chance at NC

kcsu

Living Legend
I think that this year is going to be JBs best opportunity to win a National Championship prior to his retirement.

5 returning starters each of which should improve considerably. I see huge improvement in every starter. I think that Chewy is going to make a significant jump this year. O was spectacular as a Frosh and has a chance at AA status this season. Marek progress from his first to last game last season was pretty amazing and i think he can become a true offensive threat this year. Finally Frank and Tyus have a chance to dominate. Two iron men who willed this team into the sweet 16. Frank is truly an amazing success story. Tyus is going to dominate some games.

To this amazing starting 5 we add Carey, Hughes, Buddy, Howard, a 6/9 kid who strokes the 3 and can jump over himself and of course Sid who in my opinion is the key to Cuse truly having a chance to win it all.
Sid if healthy will end up being as good a big as we have had in a very long time. The few games his tendonitis was in check he flashed greatness. He simply has it. If he can come back and stay healthy i truly believe we are going to have a true chance to win it all.
This team doesn't lack anything. We check all the boxes. This is our Year!

I think that this year is going to be JBs best opportunity to win a National Championship prior to his retirement.

5 returning starters each of which should improve considerably. I see huge improvement in every starter. I think that Chewy is going to make a significant jump this year. O was spectacular as a Frosh and has a chance at AA status this season. Marek progress from his first to last game last season was pretty amazing and i think he can become a true offensive threat this year. Finally Frank and Tyus have a chance to dominate. Two iron men who willed this team into the sweet 16. Frank is truly an amazing success story. Tyus is going to dominate some games.

To this amazing starting 5 we add Carey, Hughes, Buddy, Howard, a 6/9 kid who strokes the 3 and can jump over himself and of course Sid who in my opinion is the key to Cuse truly having a chance to win it all.
Sid if healthy will end up being as good a big as we have had in a very long time. The few games his tendonitis was in check he flashed greatness. He simply has it. If he can come back and stay healthy i truly believe we are going to have a true chance to win it all.
Agree with all especially Sid part. Always thought he could be a 15-17 pats 10-12 reb 3-4 blocks a game guy. Has the offensive skill but also passes well. Like I have said before when in hs he used to go against Mamba and other higher rated kids and ended up having better games than them. Kid can play and hope he is ok.

Definitely has a chance.

But if the class of 2019 loads up the way it is trending, next year's team could be a contender as well.

Immediately future looks really bright for JB's final act.

The best part about this season's team, in my opinion, is that with the exception of tyus and Oshae, there isn't really much of a drop off to the next player. I can foresee JB playing eight nine guys in the first half and sticking with the hottest hands in the second half. We haven't had that luxury in sometime, and it only increases our chances to avoid an off-night.

Tyus Battle is our it factor. Now he has a full supporting cast. Undermentioned is the importance of a (hopefully healthy) senior point guard.

Frank and Tyus are a big time duo

Yeah, but ...

Much of what success this team had before the last six games came on the back of Tyus Battle by himself. Frank just wasn't in the same league.

I have rarely seen a player put out that kind of effort, exhibit that much toughness or be that determined. He has become one of my all time favorite players. Not because he is the next coming of M. Jordan, but because he has demonstrated he has "The Right Stuff".

This was a role that was thrust upon him as the clock ran down and as as he looked around at what the scoring alternatives were. He couldn't throw the ball inside, because no one could catch it or do anything with it (until Marek began to wake up).

What happens when Battle has more alternatives and doesn't have to do much of it by himself?

Yeah, but ...

Much of what success this team had before the last six games came on the back of Tyus Battle by himself. Frank just wasn't in the same league.

I have rarely seen a player put out that kind of effort, exhibit that much toughness or be that determined. He has become one of my all time favorite players. Not because he is the next coming of M. Jordan, but because he has demonstrated he has "The Right Stuff".

This was a role that was thrust upon him as the clock ran down and as as he looked around at what the scoring alternatives were. He couldn't throw the ball inside, because no one could catch it or do anything with it (until Marek began to wake up).

What happens when Battle has more alternatives and doesn't have to do much of it by himself?
I agree. The best part is, Frank has less pressure this year. All Frank has to do is facilitate and find open guys. Frank has not had that as his priority since his freshman year. Now that he’s not being forced to be scoring option 1b., every single part of our offense will improve including tyus. Mark my words.

Yeah, but ...

What happens? What happens??? Why - why - why GREATNESS happens, of course! It’s as plain as the nose that used to be on my face. :)

The best part about this season's team, in my opinion, is that with the exception of tyus and Oshae, there isn't really much of a drop off to the next player. I can foresee JB playing eight nine guys in the first half and sticking with the hottest hands in the second half. We haven't had that luxury in sometime, and it only increases our chances to avoid an off-night.
Blessing us with your avatar at last again. Unless you lurk on the foosball board too. It's been too long pee troughs.

I agree. The best part is, Frank has less pressure this year. All Frank has to do is facilitate and find open guys. Frank has not had that as his priority since his freshman year. Now that he’s not being forced to be scoring option 1b., every single part of our offense will improve including tyus. Mark my words.

I'd really, really like to believe you. Frank's improvement would be a key.

I'm more concerned about the mental mistakes than any physical shortcomings. There have been so many times that stick in my mind where Frank has done almost exactly the wrong things, especially under pressure.

One would hope that experience would be the answer to correcting these gaffes. He's had plenty of that.

"Facilitate and find the open man" isn't as simple as you make it sound.

In all fairness, he hasn't had the guys to go to last year. But, even with that, he's yet to demonstrate he can do that consistently.

I've got a little SU 2018-19 flaw improvement checklist in my mind that I think I can use to make an early judgement on how solid this team will be.

Can Pascal catch the ball any better and do something with it?
Can Oshae consistently finish?
Can Frank stop the dumb turnovers?
Can Marek continue to shoot well or do even better?
etc.
etc.

We know what the problems were. Let's see which ones have been effectively addressed.

I'd really, really like to believe you. Frank's improvement would be a key.

I'm more concerned about the mental mistakes than any physical shortcomings. There have been so many times that stick in my mind where Frank has done almost exactly the wrong things, especially under pressure.

One would hope that experience would be the answer to correcting these gaffes. He's had plenty of that.

"Facilitate and find the open man" isn't as simple as you make it sound.

In all fairness, he hasn't had the guys to go to last year. But, even with that, he's yet to demonstrate he can do that consistently.

I've got a little SU 2018-19 flaw improvement checklist in my mind that I think I can use to make an early judgement on how solid this team will be.

Can Pascal catch the ball any better and do something with it?
Can Oshae consistently finish?
Can Frank stop the dumb turnovers?
Can Marek continue to shoot well or do even better?
etc.
etc.

We know what the problems were. Let's see which ones have been effectively addressed.
I’d argue that in Frank’s case, it may be just as simple as it should be. He was brought in as a point guard who could facilitate. By his second year, due to a variety of mishaps, it looked like he’d have to be forced into being a more balanced or scoring guard that he simply isnt. Frank’s developed a perimeter game, and is capable of transition, but he’s not an option B or C scoring guy.

Fatigue and being a square peg in a round hole has forced a lot of these turnover and bad decision issues that’ve been prevalant in frank’s career. Now that we, hopefully, have the depth to simplify his role back to being that of a point guard; we should see significant improvement. He wont ever be a 16-5-8 guy. All we need is 7-10 ppg, 5-8 apg and a 2:1 or better a/to ratio.

I can foresee JB playing eight nine guys in the first half and sticking with the hottest hands in the second half. .

Oh boy Have you watched Cuse Hoops in the last 30 years? ODC (Old Dirty Curmudgeon) Aint playing 8 let alone 9 for long

Oh boy Have you watched Cuse Hoops in the last 30 years? ODC (Old Dirty Curmudgeon) Aint playing 8 let alone 9 for long

There have been examples [2000 and 2012] where he's gone 9 deep. Especially 2012, when he could bring 3 guys off the bench who could net double figures [CJ, Southerland, Waiters]

WHEN he has a loaded roster with players he trusts, he'll use depth. Clearly, that isn't always the case, and it isn't always the best for the team to go 9 deep in many [most?] systems. Not sure what we'll see this year, but I think he goes 8 every game, and 9 most games [with Buddy being the 9th].

I agree, the stars are aligned. However come March anything can happen, but this is shaping up to be a 2010 or 2012 team.

When Boeheim talks to a recruit do you think he ever says something like- yes, u will get playing time, will help team immediately blah blah blah AND you can help me close out my career with a National Championship. Sounds a bit selfish but you would be a part of significant history if on that team.

There have been examples [2000 and 2012] where he's gone 9 deep. Especially 2012, when he could bring 3 guys off the bench who could net double figures [CJ, Southerland, Waiters]

WHEN he has a loaded roster with players he trusts, he'll use depth. Clearly, that isn't always the case, and it isn't always the best for the team to go 9 deep in many [most?] systems. Not sure what we'll see this year, but I think he goes 8 every game, and 9 most games [with Buddy being the 9th].
Amen. JB has no problem reaching into his bench for guys that can bring something to the table offensively and won't be matadors defensively.

Last edited:
Amen. JB has no problem reaching into the bench for guys that can bring something to the table offensively and won't be matadors defensively.

But this runs counter to the people on here that stick to the idea that JB is inflexible and that there are certain things he always does. (Which they have cleverly discovered and are glad to tell us about)

JB actually is pretty easy to understand. He wants to win. He wants to win every game. He plays the guys that will help him win and won't play guys who make offensive or defensive on the theory that these games very frequently turn on one or two plays. He'll leave guys in a game that he has confidence in regardless of how tired they seem (2017-18 proved that)

It's hard enough to recruit and develop five guys who can play at the ACC level, let alone nine. But there really should be no doubt in any actual SU fan's mind that JB will play everybody who can help him win the particular game.

Agree with all especially Sid part. Always thought he could be a 15-17 pats 10-12 reb 3-4 blocks a game guy. Has the offensive skill but also passes well. Like I have said before when in hs he used to go against Mamba and other higher rated kids and ended up having better games than them. Kid can play and hope he is ok.

In the history of college basketball, 15/10/3 (your minimums) has been done a total of 28 times, only 10 times in a power 5 conference, 3 times by Tim Duncan.

The high end, 17/12/4, has been done twice in the history of college basketball, both by Adonal Foyle.

I'm willing to bet Sid doesn't pull this off.

Last edited:
His 16/18 game last year might seem like an anomaly, but it pretty much was one of the few games where he wasn't in considerable pain from actually torn tissue.

I still think we need that true alpha at the four to contend. Could he grow into that? Better NBA opportunities that way, it seems, instead of hoping to bang with people at the 5 who are 7'1" and 280.

Last edited:

Is Melo coming back? I thought he was the only reason JB won that first one. :rolleyes:

We've had 5 #1 ranked teams, none of which ever made the Final Four. We've had 6 Final Four teams. The highest ranked one was the '87 team at #9. They also had the highest seed, a 2. The only way to analyze a team is whether we will be curious or nervous on selection Sunday. This year's team will allow us to be curious. After that it's Que Sera Sera.

Last edited:
2003 was not the most likely year for SU to win a championship. Melo was the best player in the tourney (JB's usual standard for who should win), but still a freshman on a young team. I don't think JB thought they could win it until the road win at Michigan State.
'87 was an improbable run to the final, and so was '96. IMHO, the 2nd worst loss in SU history was to Illinois in '89, Sherm's last year, and the greatest tragedy was AO going down in the BET in '10. That team was going to win it all.
If senior leadership is as significant as mavens tend to think, we should do well. I echo SWC75's post. Lot's of room for hope, and with more than a little luck when it comes to seeding, opponents, and the referee's whistle in the tourney, who knows what might happen. It will be fun to watch. I'm more excited to see this team than I have been in some time.

Last edited:
I’m so sick of this tired trope. There have been numerous years we can point to that prove you wrong. I’ve been going to Syracuse basketball games since 1981. We won a national title playing 8 guys—and all of them were important contributors. Many other years as examples.

2003 was not the most likely year for SU to win a championship. Melo was the best player in the tourney (JB's usual standard for who should win), but still a freshman on a young team. I don't think JB thought they could win it until the road win at Michigan State.
'87 was an improbable run to the final, and so was '96. IMHO, the 2nd worst loss in SU history was to Illinois in '89, Sherm's last year, and the greatest tragedy was AO going down in the BET in '10. That team was going to win it all.
If senior leadership is as significant as mavens tend to think, we should do well. I echo SWC75's post. Lot's of room for hope, and with more than a little luck when it comes to seeding, opponents, and the referee's whistle in the tourney, who knows what might happen. It will be fun to watch. I'm more excited to see this team than I have been in some time.
I agree with most of this. But ‘87 was absolutely not an improbable run. We were a #2 seed in the tourney, finished 1st or 2nd in the Big East (arguably the best conference), and the team had a great mix of experienced guys (Monroe and (Triche) and high level young talent (DC, Sherm, Rony, Stevie).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom