This years biggest disappointment is the OL | Syracusefan.com

This years biggest disappointment is the OL

Experience, size, and seeming good health for most of the year.

They never gelled and became the dominate unit I expected.

Be interested to know what the hell happened.

* dominant ;)

Why leave out the DL? There's a "big man" shortage that's been the case since P was fired. The results are we're about fifty games under 500 for those years.

the DL wasnt expected to be a strength this year
Then we weren't disappointed or surprised. The DL flat sucks right now, but how much injury effects that I do not know.
Thanks for the contribution to the topic
I've been watching SU football since 1958. I never saw a DL in all that time destroyed like ours was against WF. Play after play they's hand the ball to their RB and he would just stand the while the WF OL blew the SU DL straight back five yards off the line of scrimmage. I've never seen anything like that.

Your turn

Why leave out the DL? There's a "big man" shortage that's been the case since P was fired. The results are we're about fifty games under 500 for those years.
Because JT, Caleb and the younger guys have been good.

Not one aspect of our D is disappointing besides injuries

Agreed. I’m no OL expert but to me the underperformance starts at C. People keep saying that Vettorello is our best C, and maybe that’s the case, but he’s not a good C in my opinion. The penalties he takes are abysmal, and I feel like the interior OL hasn’t been able to generate push all year.

And historically it takes forever for Dino to tinker with the OL. 2019 is still fresh in my mind.

The guard play was not good this year.

Vett IMO should've played at Tackle, and I would've liked to see Bleich at Center (like I predicted back in the spring)

Edit: Vett should've played tackle AND be the 6th or 7th man off the bench.

Because JT, Caleb and the younger guys have been good.

Not one aspect of our D is disappointing besides injuries
The Defense has/had some bright spots. I think the secondary has been better than average. Please don't tell me that debacle we saw the last four Saturdays indicate a good DL. Orange lenses in your glasses won't make you objective,

The guard play was not good this year.

Vett IMO should've played at Tackle, and I would've liked to see Bleich at Center (like I predicted back in the spring)

Edit: Vett should've played tackle AND be the 6th or 7th man off the bench.

Bleich worked at C. Didn’t work out.

The Defense has/had some bright spots. I think the secondary has been better than average. Please don't tell me that debacle we saw the last four Saturdays indicate a good DL. Orange lenses in your glasses won't make you objective,
Is ignoring a slew of injuries objective?

I know of only one starting defender off hand who’s not been sidelined by injury for a drive this season, and I refuse to name him out of fear for bad luck.

Our defense was great but got fatigued and plowed over because our horrendous offense couldnt sustain drives. Same story the past 3 years.

How much was the Anae influence on the offense? How much was Davis playing tackle instead of guard. How much was the lack of a quality center. How much was Bleich’s health. How much was Ellis lack of mobility.

Could be some parts of each, I don’t know. Berg was consistent. No one else seemed to be.

How much was the Anae influence on the offense? How much was Davis playing tackle instead of guard. How much was the lack of a quality center. How much was Bleich’s health. How much was Ellis lack of mobility.

Could be some parts of each, I don’t know. Berg was consistent. No one else seemed to be.
Berg was good (run blocking, pass blocking). The others were consistent but not that good. I would measure a lineman by whether he can get a push, sustain a block, open holes, show ability to pull, not give up sacks. Does the line as a whole get a push?

It's funny that in all the threads post WF there hasn't been much mention of the improvement of the OL. Many less penalties, room for Tucker and a consistent pocket for Shrader to get off accurate deep throws. In particular...Bradford. I watched him on replays and he was really good. I think Bleich has been Blech!

After Saturday I wonder what a line of berg, ellis, illoa, Davis, vet/Cruz would have looked like. Bradford/ bleich for ellis if needed.

I thought the snaps were much better Saturday.

Then we weren't disappointed or surprised. The DL flat sucks right now, but how much injury effects that I do not know.

I've been watching SU football since 1958. I never saw a DL in all that time destroyed like ours was against WF. Play after play they's hand the ball to their RB and he would just stand the while the WF OL blew the SU DL straight back five yards off the line of scrimmage. I've never seen anything like that.

Your turn
that’s the only wake game you’ve watched I guess.

I said it before the season started - experience and size is no substitute for talent. This group simply wasn't very talented. Only one player has the gear.

It's funny that in all the threads post WF there hasn't been much mention of the improvement of the OL. Many less penalties, room for Tucker and a consistent pocket for Shrader to get off accurate deep throws. In particular...Bradford. I watched him on replays and he was really good. I think Bleich has been Blech!

Bradford graded really bad. Below average in run blocking and failing in pass blocking. We took him out mid 2nd half some time and put Vett at RG and Joe Cruz to RT. Though Cruz was no better.

I said it before the season started - experience and size is no substitute for talent. This group simply wasn't very talented. Only one player has the gear.
If those guys hadn’t shown they could be very good run blocking last year I’d agree. I think Ellis getting heavy, Bliech surgery, and Davis at tackle are bigger reasons than lack of talent.

Bradford graded really bad. Below average in run blocking and failing in pass blocking. We took him out mid 2nd half some time and put Vett at RG and Joe Cruz to RT. Though Cruz was no better.
I admit to not knowing where that comes from.I saw him pull a number of times and take a guy out so...whatever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom