This Years New HC Hires | Syracusefan.com

This Years New HC Hires

anomander

Living Legend
Wow what a weird year on the coaching carousel. Lots of strange hires. Is it possible that UNC may have made the best hire with Mack Brown? I don’t think any other fan base is excited about their hire.

Colorado - Mel Tucker - this was a What hire. Guy has never coached west of the mississipp

Louisville - Scott Satterfield - Carolina guy. Would have been better off at UNC. As a Cuse fan I don’t mind this. The guy can coach. I just don’t see it as a good fit

Maryland - Mike Locksley - sure he can recruit, but you have to be able to coach some. Great recruiter, but as a HC just look st what he did at New Mexico.

Texas Tech - Matt Wells - Another strange fit. IMO Seth Littrell was the easy hire. He coached there before and runs the air raid offense. Who knows maybe they want to get away from the air raid tree, but Wells won’t have much time to turn over the roster

UNC - Mack Brown - I’d be sick if I were a UNC fan, but I guess it’s better than the rest where the fits just seem wrong.

I will just sit here happy that we didn’t have to try our luck of hiring a new HC

Not a lot of "big names" changing schools.....seems like a lot of "safe" hires taking place and no outside the box thinking....

Tend to agree that this is a kind of boring carousel year. Though I don't think geography matters with Satterfield and Wells. Those are the best hires. Dino to Syracuse didn't make much sense other than playing in a Dome, so not sure that matters too much.

I can't stress this statement enough:

I CANNOT BELIEVE THAT A P5 PROGRAM HIRED MIKE LOCKSLEY AS A HC

Fantastic recruiter but he's got a worse HC resume than Greg Robinson. Think about that for a minute. And there was controversy in his tenure at New Mexico on top of it.

Must have been his 1-5 record as interim HC at Maryland back in 2015 that put him over the top.

I was expecting Scott Satterfield to UNC, Matt Wells to Colorado, Seth Litrell to Texas Tech and thought Maryland was gonna keep Matt Canada as HC. Definitely a strange year. As much as I hate to admit it I think Louisville made the best hire so far this offseason. Our tough division gets tougher.

Wow what a weird year on the coaching carousel. Lots of strange hires. Is it possible that UNC may have made the best hire with Mack Brown? I don’t think any other fan base is excited about their hire.

Colorado - Mel Tucker - this was a What hire. Guy has never coached west of the mississipp

Louisville - Scott Satterfield - Carolina guy. Would have been better off at UNC. As a Cuse fan I don’t mind this. The guy can coach. I just don’t see it as a good fit

Maryland - Mike Locksley - sure he can recruit, but you have to be able to coach some. Great recruiter, but as a HC just look st what he did at New Mexico.

Texas Tech - Matt Wells - Another strange fit. IMO Seth Littrell was the easy hire. He coached there before and runs the air raid offense. Who knows maybe they want to get away from the air raid tree, but Wells won’t have much time to turn over the roster

UNC - Mack Brown - I’d be sick if I were a UNC fan, but I guess it’s better than the rest where the fits just seem wrong.

I will just sit here happy that we didn’t have to try our luck of hiring a new HC

Of that list I think Satterfield was the best hire. Louisville isn't far from his recruiting homebase and there is a decent amount of talent in Kentucky to work with.

Of that list I think Satterfield was the best hire. Louisville isn't far from his recruiting homebase and there is a decent amount of talent in Kentucky to work with.

Yes indeed Satterfield is going to be a giant pain in the ass. It would’ve been better offer for us had he gone to UNC

Oklahoma could open up if Lincoln Riley really wants an NFL job. His name keeps being mentioned.
So we gotta be on alert for that job and any ripples it would cause. I have no clue who Oklahoma would target if Riley left for the Cleveland Browns or Dallas Cowboys.

Yes indeed Satterfield is going to be a giant pain in the ass. It would’ve been better offer for us had he gone to UNC
No he won't. Our coach is proven and recruiting is on a major upswing.

Mel tucker hire is strange. I don’t expect him to do much there, not that it impacts us anyway.

Matt Wells is a really good coach. Not sure how things will go for him in Texas, but Utah State has been a solid, really well run program under him.

Fantastic recruiter but he's got a worse HC resume than Greg Robinson. Think about that for a minute. And there was controversy in his tenure at New Mexico on top of it.

Must have been his 1-5 record as interim HC at Maryland back in 2015 that put him over the top.
The amazing thing is there is a lot of excitement about him here on Baltimore Sports talk radio. You'd think they hired Saban

That was a jaw dropper.

I just realized that our first two opponents next season will have new head coaches. That’s going to be a big boost to our early season chances next year. We have such an opportunity to get off to a great start!

Oklahoma could open up if Lincoln Riley really wants an NFL job. His name keeps being mentioned.
So we gotta be on alert for that job and any ripples it would cause. I have no clue who Oklahoma would target if Riley left for the Cleveland Browns or Dallas Cowboys.

Josh Heupel? OU alum and their former OC, great first season at UCF, runs the same offense.

Don’t discount Bowling Green’s hiring of BC’s OC for HC as the most “huh?”. Definitely a sense a addition through subtraction by their fan base. It was quite puzzling someone wanted to “steal” him away

Dorsey supposedly has been lurking in Norman for the past two weeks.