Thornwood, NY lineman Tommy Hopkins | Syracusefan.com

Thornwood, NY lineman Tommy Hopkins

PhatOrange

Living Legend
6-6 293 offer from Connecticut, says Syracuse (no offer) and Uconn are the favorites followed by Boston College (no offer). BC asking him camp.

27077137.jpg

6-6 293 offer from Connecticut, says Syracuse (no offer) and Uconn are the favorites followed by Boston College (no offer). BC asking him camp.

27077137.jpg

Hopkins is one of a number of OL recruits from NYS that are close to getting offers from BCS schools, but haven't gotten any yet. Except he just got an offer from UConn and accepted it. P & D are good evaluators of talent. I think this kid is going to be a good one.

Hopkins is one of a number of OL recruits from NYS that are close to getting offers from BCS schools, but haven't gotten any yet. Except he just got an offer from UConn and accepted it. P & D are good evaluators of talent. I think this kid is going to be a good one.
Tomcat - did he accept an offer from UConn or Penn State? sounded like he got a PSU offer on Scout but I couldn't read the article

Tomcat - did he accept an offer from UConn or Penn State? sounded like he got a PSU offer on Scout but I couldn't read the article
The UConn board says he verbaled there. But some of them don't really follow recruiting and I am not sure they know the difference between getting an offer and verbaling. Reading the story, it looks like he just got an offer from the Huskies and did not verbal. Last time I will trust that board when it comes to recruiting.

Seems like if he is on the verge of getting offers he would wait a little bit before he accepts the first one that comes his way, but maybe UConn is his dream school.

The UConn board says he verbaled there. But some of them don't really follow recruiting and I am not sure they know the difference between getting an offer and verbaling. Reading the story, it looks like he just got an offer from the Huskies and did not verbal. Last time I will trust that board when it comes to recruiting.
sorry Tomcat - you were right - they linked to a Rivals article where they interviewed his father about the commit to UConn

If anyone is keeping a running list, please add Thornwood, NY to the places we also need a "NY's College Team" billboard.

Thank you.

Bad joke referring to a thread on another board about the merits of the NYS campaign.

Yeah, I started the other thread, but you realize Syracuse did not offer this kid a scholarship right?

Yeah, I started the other thread, but you realize Syracuse did not offer this kid a scholarship right?

Would they have though? Was he invited to camp? Seems like he jumped pretty quickly to the first offer he received. I know we do not have a lot of slots available this year, but we are going after a lot of reaches it seems.

Would they have though? Was he invited to camp? Seems like he jumped pretty quickly to the first offer he received. I know we do not have a lot of slots available this year, but we are going after a lot of reaches it seems.

Reaches? meaning what? kids who are projects or kids we will never land?

I don't see what the big deal is with this kid. He had one offer and two schools (BC/Syracuse) who likely preferred he camped before offering. He took the offer he had. big deal.

if Syracuse offered the kid and got a commitment from him half the board would up in arms because he's a no star kid who we beat out uconn for - woohoo.

everybody needs to relax, we haven't offered anymore big time reaches than any other year over the past 30 years and we've had a lot of prospects either visiting campus or planning to visit.

Fair point. But while I'm by no means an expert talent evaluator, until proven otherwise on a consistant basis, SU is competing with UCONN for kids. If they think he can play, no reason to think we shouldn't...esp with how our OL has(n't) developed.

But, hey, recruiting is a crap shoot. We'll see how it shakes out.

SU is competing with UCONN for kids. If they think he can play, no reason to think we shouldn't...

Just remember that when we land some kids who don't have offers; If we think they can play, there's no reason to think the competition shouldn't...right?

Just remember that when we land some kids who don't have offers; If we think they can play, there's no reason to think the competition shouldn't...right?

Which is mostly likely what will end up happening. And I have never complained about who we end up signing because I trust the staff in their evaluations. I'm all for shooting for the fences. Maybe it pays off. I can't imagine the staff is putting their eggs all in one basket though, and guys like this, from our "backyard" should at least get an invite to camp.

Reaches? meaning what? kids who are projects or kids we will never land?

I don't see what the big deal is with this kid. He had one offer and two schools (BC/Syracuse) who likely preferred he camped before offering. He took the offer he had. big deal.

if Syracuse offered the kid and got a commitment from him half the board would up in arms because he's a no star kid who we beat out uconn for - woohoo.

everybody needs to relax, we haven't offered anymore big time reaches than any other year over the past 30 years and we've had a lot of prospects either visiting campus or planning to visit.
Exactly, the difference with this year is that there are more high profile kids than normal that are seriously considering SU. Everyone really needs to relax. It was a no name recruit that committed to UConn for cripe's sake.

Exactly, the difference with this year is that there are more high profile kids than normal that are seriously considering SU. Everyone really needs to relax. It was a no name recruit that committed to UConn for cripe's sake.

Oh, he had a name. When a New York recruit commits to another school he has a name. His name is Robert Paulsen.

It appears that he is pretty good player who will get a decent rivals rating when they do next update. According to articles on rivals he is three sport athlete who gave up Lacrosse and gained 20 pounds this spring and then was picked as one of top lineman at rivals nj100 where his match up against Kenny Bigelow #6 overall prospect in country who is USC committ was written up as top ol vs dl matchup of the event. Not sure how solid his commttment is to UConn as they had one decommitt already but looks like UConn might have snuck across border and stole one.

It appears that he is pretty good player who will get a decent rivals rating when they do next update. According to articles on rivals he is three sport athlete who gave up Lacrosse and gained 20 pounds this spring and then was picked as one of top lineman at rivals nj100 where his match up against Kenny Bigelow #6 overall prospect in country who is USC committ was written up as top ol vs dl matchup of the event. Not sure how solid his commttment is to UConn as they had one decommitt already but looks like UConn might have snuck across border and stole one.
The staff knew who he was and saw his film. They chose not to extend him an offer. It doesn't mean he can't play. SU has limited scholarships available to give out this year and they are being very careful with who they offer. Good luck to Tommy at UConn. He probably will never play a game against Syracuse in his career there.

Can he face off?

Too bad no more rutgers and uconn but you never know with all the realignments.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom