Thought Buddy played well ... and other thoughts vs. Buffalo | Syracusefan.com

Thought Buddy played well ... and other thoughts vs. Buffalo

billsin01

All American
Some thoughts vs. Buffalo:

Buddy played well
Half the board will throw up in their mouths reading that sentence, i get it. I also get that he didn't *shoot* well (for a second straight game). I know, I know. Let me preface this by saying that two things are inherently true: 1) We won't be very good if we need buddy to create all night most nights and even in this game, we weren't very good the first 25 mins. And 2) We'd all be breathing a little easier if Buddy had finished 12 of 19 inside the arc instead of 8 of 19. I know, I get it.

But I will say this: Buddy was super active and had a nice night creating for others -- dished out four nice assists and had two passes that should have been finished as well. While he didn't finish well, he broke down the defense and created rebounding opportunities for our guys who were hammering the glass. You only get 14 offensive rebounds if you are either the tougher, more physical team (not sure we were) or you are getting their guys out of position (thought we did that). The aggressiveness also helped him get to the line 7 times -- some were obvious foul situations late but he had only been there three times on the season in three games before last night, so I'll take it.

Buddy also added three steals and played well defensively. The hustle was there, the aggressiveness was there. I like it. Not sure it's a blueprint for success going forward but he played a really active 42 minutes and helped us win that game.

Many folks still don't appreciate Marek, IMO
We come back from 16 down to win against at least an OK team -- that doesn't make us a final four contender, I get it -- and I read a few posts about how upset folks are that 'the backup center' (no one knows who this is or even should be) didn't get more time. Folks, I don't know what to say. Could Marek be more aggressive/assertive? Sure. Was it fun seeing him as the go-to on that last possession -- no, not the way it played out. But the kid just works hard and does so many good things.

Five assists -- he seems to put up 3 or 4 in his sleep -- 19 points on just 9 FG attempts, 8 boards, 4 blocks and, for good measure, draws three charges including a beauty on whoever it was that tried that euro-step late (that's an incredibly smart, intuitive play). The kid just plays, hard, and doesn't really care about numbers. That is such a valuable thing for a team and the idea that, even though he gets bullied around the basket, we should take him off the floor to get three minutes for Frank Edwarjok drives me nuts.

I wonder about the future of the zone
So I don't really care that we play zone 100% of the time b/c, well, whatever, it's what we do. But I wonder when JB retires in 2079 if we'll continue playing it? The issue to me is so many teams put five quality offensive players on the floor, which makes sense. AAU is all about skill development and offense, so even the Buffalos of the world come into the dome and have four guys who can make a three and five guys who can get into double-figures. And it would be one thing if they just went nuts from three, but they put up 44-ish points in the paint with really nice interior passing and finishing.

Yes, the zone would be better with two Kadary's out top and a big-time shot-blocker/athlete in the middle. And yes, teams that play man get burned some nights as well. It happens to any defense in this day and age. But we're six games in and we've already run into three teams that have absolutely torched that defense. Will be interesting to watch whenever JB hangs em up.

Is this the game Kadary eclipsed Girard?
This is likely to happen -- now or at some point in the future. Kadary is just such a factor defensively -- three blocks and a steal but just a constant factor. I don't have a dog in the fight -- still like Joe, for what it's worth. But it will be interesting to see regardless. The thing with Kadary is he's a little loose with the ball (not a knock, just observing) and he's going to struggle shooting a bit (so has Joe, obviously). But I've been really impressed with the way he has played in terms of being a good teammate. Not a kid who is focused on getting his and his effort on the defensive end has been super impressive. Based on reputation, I thought defense would be an issue and he might have a bit of a 'me first' streak but he's actually been the exact opposite of that. Really nice player. Fun to watch.

As for Girard -- Disappointing to see such a rough start for him. Still holding out hopes he can contribute in big ways eventually. IF -- and no one really knows -- if it doesn't happen for him this year, hope he goes out next offseason and commits to working his a$$ off to get in high-end hoops shape. Think the thing with him is he still looks like a football player playing basketball. A leaner, half-step quicker Girard who was able to sustain his energy for longer stretches could still be a very good player.

Q is a stud; nice bounceback for Griff
I don't have much to say on Guerrier. The kid has been a total monster. Not sure I see the NBA come calling for him, but if they do, we can't complain. The kid is a warrior and that second three was a really clutch shot. If he's confident enough and smart enough to be able to add that to his game while still spending a lot of time down low ... that would be huge for us.

Griff was engaged and active. I'll take it. And he'll shoot better. Just a really nice all-around game for him and hope the northeastern bump is in the rear-view.

What's the biggest takeaway?
The biggest takeaway to me is that we just don't know what this team is. We were bad enough to be losing to Buffalo by 16 after 25 minutes and then good enough to beat them by 27 in the last 20 minutes. We were good enough to hit every three we took against BC and then not hit more than 1 a game on average for the next 85 minutes. We were good enough to feel like we *should* have beaten rutgers but bad enough to cough it away and actually lose by 11. So I guess we just try to beat Notre Dame, try to work Sid in a bit at Wake (hopefully) and then buckle up for a stretch of three games against top 25 teams in four games. Who the hell knows. It's entertaining at least.

Last edited:
Some thoughts vs. Buffalo:

Buddy played well
Half the board will throw up in their mouths reading that sentence, i get it. I also get that he didn't *shoot* well (for a second straight game). I know, I know. Let me preface this by saying that two things are inherently true: 1) We won't be very good if we need buddy to create all night most nights and even in this game, we weren't very good the first 25 mins. And 2) We'd all be breathing a little easier if Buddy had finished 12 of 19 inside the arc instead of 8 of 19. I know, I get it.

But I will say this: Buddy was super active and had a nice night creating for others -- dished out four nice assists and had two passes that should have been finished as well. While he didn't finish well, he broke down the defense and created rebounding opportunities for our guys who were hammering the glass. You only get 14 offensive rebounds if you are either the tougher, more physical team (not sure we were) or you are getting their guys out of position (thought we did that). The aggressiveness also helped him get to the line 7 times -- some were obvious foul situations late but he had only been there three times on the season in three games before last night, so I'll take it.

Buddy also added three steals and played well defensively. The hustle was there, the aggressiveness was there. I like it. Not sure it's a blueprint for success going forward but he played a really active 42 minutes and helped us win that game.

Many folks still don't appreciate Marek, IMO
We come back from 16 down to win against at least an OK team -- that doesn't make us a final four contender, I get it -- and I read a few posts about how upset folks are that 'the backup center' (no one knows who this is or even should be) didn't get more time. Folks, I don't know what to say. Could Marek be more aggressive/assertive? Sure. Was it fun seeing him as the go-to on that last possession -- no, not the way it played out. But the kid just works hard and does so many good things.

Five assists -- he seems to put up 3 or 4 in his sleep -- 19 points on just 9 FG attempts, 8 boards, 4 blocks and, for good measure, draws three charges including a beauty on whoever it was that tried that euro-step late (that's an incredibly smart, intuitive play). The kid just plays, hard, and doesn't really care about numbers. That is such a valuable thing for a team and the idea that, even though he gets bullied around the basket, we should take him off the floor to get three minutes for Frank Edwarjok drives me nuts.

I wonder about the future of the zone
So I don't really care that we play zone 100% of the time b/c, well, whatever, it's what we do. But I wonder when JB retires in 2079 if we'll continue playing it? The issue to me is so many teams put five quality offensive players on the floor, which makes sense. AAU is all about skill development and offense, so even the Buffalos of the world come into the dome and have four guys who can make a three and five guys who can get into double-figures. And it would be one thing if they just went nuts from three, but they put up 44-ish points in the paint with really nice interior passing and finishing.

Yes, the zone would be better with two Kadary's out top and a big-time shot-blocker/athlete in the middle. And yes, teams that play man get burned some nights as well. It happens to any defense in this day and age. But we're six games in and we've already run into three teams that have absolutely torched that defense. Will be interesting to watch whenever JB hangs em up.

Is this the game Kadary eclipsed Girard?
This is likely to happen -- now or at some point in the future. Kadary is just such a factor defensively -- three blocks and a steal but just a constant factor. I don't have a dog in the fight -- still like Joe, for what it's worth. But it will be interesting to see regardless. The thing with Kadary is he's a little loose with the ball (not a knock, just observing) and he's going to struggle shooting a bit (so has Joe, obviously). But I've been really impressed with the way he has played in terms of being a good teammate. Not a kid who is focused on getting his and his effort on the defensive end has been super impressive. Based on reputation, I thought defense would be an issue and he might have a bit of a 'me first' streak but he's actually been the exact opposite of that. Really nice player. Fun to watch.

As for Girard -- Disappointing to see such a rough start for him. Still holding out hopes he can contribute in big ways eventually. IF -- and no one really knows -- if it doesn't happen for him this year, hope he goes out next offseason and commits to working his a$$ off to get in high-end hoops shape. Think the thing with him is he still looks like a football player playing basketball. A leaner, half-step quicker Girard who was able to sustain his energy for longer stretches could still be a very good player.

Q is a stud; nice bounceback for Griff
I don't have much to say on Guerrier. The kid has been a total monster. Not sure I see the NBA come calling for him, but if they do, we can't complain. The kid is a warrior and that second three was a really clutch shot. If he's confident enough and smart enough to be able to add that to his game while still spending a lot of time down low ... that would be huge for us.

Griff was engaged and active. I'll take it. And he'll shoot better. Just a really nice all-around game for him and hope the northeastern bump is in the rear-view.

What's the biggest takeaway?
The biggest takeaway to me is that we just don't know what this team is. We were bad enough to be losing to Buffalo by 16 after 25 minutes and then good enough to beat them by 27 in the last 20 minutes. We were good enough to hit every three we took against BC and then not hit more than 1 a game on average for the next 85 minutes. We were good enough to feel like we *should* have beaten rutgers but bad enough to cough it away and actually lose by 11. So I guess we just try to beat Notre Dame, try to work Sid in a bit at Wake (hopefully) and then buckle up for a stretch of three games against top 25 teams in four games. Who the hell knows. It's entertaining at least.
Great post. I agree with almost all of it!!

I get the sense you understood this instinctively rather than seeing it after rewatching the game and breaking it down. Bravo!!! I did not catch this first time around.

The key was going to the press. No idea if intended or unintended consequence but the press forced Buffalo to play without the two bigs. As a result, we went from being outrebounded to dominating on the glass.

In the first half, Buddy was 3-10. On those 7 misses we got 2 offensive rebounds and scored 1 bucket (it was BB putting back his own miss so does not count as an extra make). Effective makes were 3-10.

2nd half was a completely different story, especially after we began pressing. BB was 4-12. On those 8 misses, we got 5 offensive rebounds and scored 4 baskets. Effective makes were 8-12.

Part of the strategy in the 2nd half was to have BB get into the lane and have the other guys crash the glass.

Took a page out of the Carolina play book that Williams has used against us so successfully: Throw the ball up there and go get it.

What make me think of looking at it was JB's comment after the NE game about our effective shooting percentage on Buddy's shots when including offensive rebounds.

There is a separate thread about the fact that JB was being over-defensive of his own kid and how inappropriate that was. I disagree. I think that comment was simply JB having understood that having Buddy take shots in the NE game and going and getting the rebounds when he missed was a good strategy. He saw it instinctively when most did not. He just did not articulate it correctly.

I think he played that same card against Buffalo once their second big was out of the game and it was one of the keys to the comeback.

Great post. Especially liked the phrase about joe getting in shape. I think if he improves his fitness everything else will come together. He looks very doughy for a 19 year old and some of his lack Of effort looks related to his conditioning. Especially on the defensive end

I agree with your post. Buddy, if you eliminate his shooting stats, had an excellent game. Moved well on defense, made some big steals, 4 assists. Marek is far from an ideal center but the drop-off from him to whoever would replace him is gigantic. Ajak looked inept in his 3 minutes of play. Kadary is a stud. Is still finding his way on the offensive end, not trying to do too much, deferring to others. Girard impressed me by really showing support of his teammates while on the bench. Hopefully JB will utilize all 3 guards effectively.

When Sidibe returns full-time it will be interesting to see who does not start. This team is fun to watch, so different than recent years. Got to fix the 3-point shooting woes. That was supposed to be this team's strong point.

Y’all have TOOO much hate for Buddy honestly.

I think you’re all being too critical. The guy deserves most of the minutes he is playing. JB would be doing the same thing if it was any other player too. We all know JB doesn’t like to go to the bench.

I think y’all need to be harder on Girard if anything. His shot selection is poor, he runs up and down the court this season like he has cement blocks on his feet. He looks like he lacks enthusiasm unless he’s throwing up a half court shot.

Is buddy the greatest to ever play? Absolutely not.

But is he as bad as y’all say he is? Also absolutely not.

For whatever reason y’all have some weird chip on your shoulder and want to put all the blame on buddy. But the couple games he was missing for COVID y’all wanted him back ASAP.

Y’all have TOOO much hate for Buddy honestly.

I think you’re all being too critical. The guy deserves most of the minutes he is playing. JB would be doing the same thing if it was any other player too. We all know JB doesn’t like to go to the bench.

I think y’all need to be harder on Girard if anything. His shot selection is poor, he runs up and down the court this season like he has cement blocks on his feet. He looks like he lacks enthusiasm unless he’s throwing up a half court shot.

Is buddy the greatest to ever play? Absolutely not.

But is he as bad as y’all say he is? Also absolutely not.

For whatever reason y’all have some weird chip on your shoulder and want to put all the blame on buddy. But the couple games he was missing for COVID y’all wanted him back ASAP.
No hate for Buddy in this thread. Not sure what you read in this thread to think anybody who has posted above has any hate for Buddy.

if Billsin01 criticizes Buddy, you can be sure that it will be a pointed criticism that is well-supported.

If you want Buddy hate, read the SUFan44 "Buddy Boeheim - 24 shots" thread or the NYC_Cuse "JB can't do this garbage with AG" thread or the DilemmaCuse "JB Postgame Presser" thread about the NE game...

You can then make up your own mind if warranted, or not, and respond accordingly.

I get the sense you understood this instinctively rather than seeing it after rewatching the game and breaking it down. Bravo!!! I did not catch this first time around.

The key was going to the press. No idea if intended or unintended consequence but the press forced Buffalo to play without the two bigs. As a result, we went from being outrebounded to dominating on the glass.

In the first half, Buddy was 3-10. On those 7 misses we got 2 offensive rebounds and scored 1 bucket (it was BB putting back his own miss so does not count as an extra make). Effective makes were 3-10.

2nd half was a completely different story, especially after we began pressing. BB was 4-12. On those 8 misses, we got 5 offensive rebounds and scored 4 baskets. Effective makes were 8-12.

Part of the strategy in the 2nd half was to have BB get into the lane and have the other guys crash the glass.

Took a page out of the Carolina play book that Williams has used against us so successfully: Throw the ball up there and go get it.

What make me think of looking at it was JB's comment after the NE game about our effective shooting percentage on Buddy's shots when including offensive rebounds.

There is a separate thread about the fact that JB was being over-defensive of his own kid and how inappropriate that was. I disagree. I think that comment was simply JB having understood that having Buddy take shots in the NE game and going and getting the rebounds when he missed was a good strategy. He saw it instinctively when most did not. He just did not articulate it correctly.

I think he played that same card against Buffalo once their second big was out of the game and it was one of the keys to the comeback.

thanks for adding stats and context to this point. Didn’t mention the press b/c Tom had covered it well in his ‘my take’ post but it was a huge factor.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom