Thoughts As We Head Into The Spring/Summer Circuit | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts As We Head Into The Spring/Summer Circuit

Francis03

All American
My favorite time as some of you know in the recruiting season is the spring/summer circuit. This is when everything heats up and every coaching staff in the country gets on their grind to lockdown their recruiting targets. Below I'll just share some thoughts and opinions on various stuff.

1)Thank God Hop is still around. If he would've landed the USC job and took Red with him our recruiting would've definitely took a step back. Besides Rak and Grant, Hop was responsible for the rest of our final four roster this year. Plus he's the point man for Joseph and Goodluck's recruitment.

2)Overall quick thoughts on the 2013 class. Ennis will be a good player and leader at the point from day 1. Roberson will be a fan favorite and has ridiculous upside. Patterson has improved a lot and could be a pleasant surprise(this coming from somebody who wasn't a fan when he first committed). BJ is the biggest wild card and I'm looking forward to seeing what will role and position he'll play. Chino will pick up where BMK left off at, but fans will need to be patient and give him a few years. Heard nothing but things about Mike G for awhile now, but I take practice reports with a grain of salt and can't wait to see him with my own eyes.

3)The most important recruit for 2014 imho is Kaleb Joseph. Our teams are at best imho when we have three guards who can handle the rock. If Ennis and Mike G are the real deal and have a year to develop and play together, then you add this kid with his abilities OMG. Plus having multiple ball handlers is a big help against the Louisville press, who we'll have to deal with on a regular basis again in a few years. Add in whatever contributions that we'll get from Cooney, Buss, and BJ as well. Talk about being deep:).

4)I think most know who the main targets for 2014 and 2015 are such as the likes of Joseph, Goodluck, Briscoe, Bryant etc. So here goes a look into the future of 2016 names to look out for this spring/summer. Tyus Battle SG/SF(Team Final), Rodney Miller PF/C, Kassoum Yakwe PF(Team Scan), Devonte Green(Team Scan, Danny Green's lil brother), and Unique McLean PG/SG(Team Scan).

5)Everybody talk about Kentucky next year but the team that I really like and think could be dangerous is Zona. They will have all three of those freshman bigs back and are adding Aaron Gordon and Rondae Jefferson. Both will fit in lovely. If the Duquesne transfer can play well for them at the point, then I think your looking at a championship caliber team if all gels well.

6)Speaking of Kentucky, out of all of their top recruits I expect Aaron Harrison to be their go to guy next year. He's the best pure scorer out of the group and in the 2013 class. Issue I see for them is that the Harrison twins dominate the ball a lot and it will be interesting to see how Cal will deal with all of the egos. Only one ball and he has 10 players(not counting possibly Wiggins) expecting to play plenty of minutes with lots of touches. Only 2 things can happen, either they'll dominate or it'll be a train wreck like this past season.

7)2014 overall watch list of players that I have to see during the circuit that I haven't seen yet is the following.
1)Tyus Jones-Considered the #1 PG, who sadly I haven't seen yet but looking forward to.
2)Ben Bentil-Cuse have shown interest in this PF from Africa. Looking forward to seeing how good his game is.
3)Paschal Chukwu-Raw big man from Connecticut, with lots of upside.
4)Dorian Pickens-SG from AZ that came on a visit at the end of last year.

8)The open evaluation period where coaches can go out and watch players play starts next weekend. Big events will take place at LA, Dallas, Vegas, Pittsburgh, and NJ. I'll have updates for that next weekend. Interesting note is that Joseph and Goodluck will play together on the Adidas circuit for Mass Rivalss(the single s will get the word deleted lol:noidea:). McCullough will play alongside 2015 target Cheick Diallo for Team Scan Nike EYBL team, and possibly Thomas Bryant, if he gets bumped up from the 16u division.

9)Sleeper alert. If things for whatever reason goes south with Joseph, remember the name Sterling Taplin from the Buffalo area. He's playing with the Albany City Rocks and should make a name for himself during the EYBL season. Heard nothing but good things about him and he attended the SU elite camp last summer.

10)Last but not least, just wanted to say I love this forum and all of the good people in it. With the ups n downs and the constant negativity that can take place on the main board. I'm glad that I could always come here and enjoy good b-ball talk and opinions from you guys. Thanks for making this place fun and a must read daily for me Mel salute.png.

What about Malichi Richardson? Is he not a serious target or is it a we will be too stacked and need another handler more?

I just want to say thanks Francis, for everything you do. You are one of several people on here that bring so much value with regards your information and knowledge. Because of you and the others, this is far and away the best forum out there for recruiting info starved, avid SU fans like myself.

I still don't understand how TF Rivalss, ESPN, etc. can come up with top 100 lists and not have BJ on there. That makes no sense to me. None. Are their ranking entirely reliant on what happens during AAU / summer?

What a great post, Francis!

How do you feel about our chances with Joseph? With McCullough in the fold, he seems like the most important kid we're targeting in the class of 2014.

What about Malichi Richardson? Is he not a serious target or is it a we will be too stacked and need another handler more?
Malachi's case is very interesting. I just get the feeling that the staff is in wait n see mode with him, because as I have mentioned since the end of last year, he loves SU but it's on the staff to show that love back. I always thought of him as a wing, but when I watched a few Roselle Catholic games, he was mainly a SG with limited ball handling skills. I think right now trying to lockdown Briscoe and how stacked we'll be at guard, it looks like unless he grows and becomes a wing that we might not have room for him. Anything can change tho if the staff likes what they see during the circuit.

Malachi's case is very interesting. I just get the feeling that the staff is in wait n see mode with him, because as I have mentioned since the end of last year, he loves SU but it's on the staff to show that love back. I always thought of him as a wing, but when I watched a few Roselle Catholic games, he was mainly a SG wit limited ball handling skills. I think right now trying to lockdown Briscoe and how stacked we'll be at guard, it looks like unless he grows and becomes a wing that we might not have room for him. Anything can change tho if the staff likes what they see during the circuit.

Thanks man! I always apreciate your insights.

I still don't understand how TF Rivalss, ESPN, etc. can come up with top 100 lists and not have BJ on there. That makes no sense to me. None. Are their ranking entirely reliant on what happens during AAU / summer?
Scouthoops have BJ ranked #90, Rivalss after being impressed with BJ at an event in January, said that he would be included in the final updated rankings. Who knows what those fools at ESPN will do. BJ's pops alluded to the fact that last year was BJ's first year playing high-level AAU ball with Team Final. So that was basically the first time most national scouts saw him. If he had played for them before then he would've been on the map earlier and probably would be higher ranked. It's all good tho, as we know rankings are fun to look at and debate, but it's all politics and BS at the end of the day. If BJ committed to Duke or UK then everybody would put him in the top 50 asap lol.

Much thanks as always Francis. Very excited to check some of those new names out today.
Not only is the recruiting side terrific during the season, but I'm pretty sure you just removed that feeling of Cuse withdrawal from the posse around here.
Chubbs approves.

What a great post, Francis!

How do you feel about our chances with Joseph? With McCullough in the fold, he seems like the most important kid we're targeting in the class of 2014.
I feel great now about our chances with Joseph. It reminds me of last year when the season ended and JB told Ennis that he was target number #1 and that they would be watching him all the time and keeping tabs on him. Joseph is basically getting the same treatment and I hope with him and Goodluck playing AAU together and building chemistry, that they'll talk about joining forces on the next level at SU.

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/spor...-player-finds-basketball-home-at-cushing.html
RF, you and others will love this article about Joseph that profiles him pretty well. He also says something interesting about SU that we've heard before from prospects that have ended up there and others who didn't:rolleyes:.

Francis, totally off topic but have you heard of Malik Zachery from Syracuse??? Hes only a 5'10 pg in the class of 017, but the kid bleeds orange.
Really hope he makes it in the next few years as hes a really skilled ball handler and training hard with Billy Edelin these days. Also, hes got tons more on youtube.

Forgot when mentioning Hop, is that I find it funny that Enfield basically put together the same the staff that Hop no doubt would've wanted as well if he got the USC gig. Hart, Bland, and Red would've made his job very pleasant in bringing big time talent to LA. Much thanks to Pat Haden tho for not taking Hop away from usmynicca1.png.

Forgot when mentioning Hop, is that I find it funny that Enfield basically put together the same the staff that Hop no doubt would've wanted as well if he got the USC gig. Hart, Bland, and Red would've made his job very pleasant in bringing big time talent to LA. Much thanks to Pat Haden tho for not taking Hop away from usView attachment 3131.
you think red would leave SU for USC?

you think red would leave SU for USC?
Rumor was Hop would've brought Red along if he got the job. Red would've been the perfect guy for him to tag along and keep the east coast ties, while having Hart and Bland hold down the west.

Francis, totally off topic but have you heard of Malik Zachery from Syracuse??? Hes only a 5'10 pg in the class of 017, but the kid bleeds orange.
Really hope he makes it in the next few years as hes a really skilled ball handler and training hard with Billy Edelin these days. Also, hes got tons more on youtube.
First time hearing of him. 2017 is such a long time away and at 5'10 let's see how much he grows and develop over the years. Cool to see Billy E coaching up the yougins. Really glad he has gotten his life together and is helping others.

Anyone else not getting the vids orangefan13 is posting in this thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom