Thoughts from Providence | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts from Providence

orange79

Internet Sleuth
First of all, great atmosphere at the game despite the HS-like facility. This choice was a bit of a head-scratcher. No parking to speak of, but I parked on the street for a quick 5 minute walk to the stadium. Hung out with some of the parents (specifically the parents of M/FO Nate Farrell – great people). Syracuse fans were out in full force – close to the number of Brown fans, who were the host school. Great job. But then, we always do a great job traveling.

Frustrating game to watch. Slow start, pipes galore, defensive mixups, and, shall we say, questionable officiating. Not an excuse though, MD was the better team.

Molloy didn’t have it today – disappointing after how well he has played the last few games. Need to find a place for Lane – EMO is not it (notwithstanding his one man-up goal). It’s as if they are planning for him to take that laser shot. One guy behind me made me laugh – We went on an EMO and before play started he said, “Pass, pass, pass to Lane 15 yards out, shot, save.”

The real backbreaker(s) were the 3 (4?) times were had the chance to cut the lead to two and get in MD's heads a bit, we gave up a goal within the next minute or two. Frustrating, to say the least.

The coaches obviously thought Bernlohr was vulnerable high – every shot was high early on. Obviously, they were wrong. Bernlohr was a vacuum cleaner out there today. 16 saves – wow. Kudos.

Lots of invisible players today. Disappointing given we were getting contributions from so many players lately. I thought Shewell played well. Barber was good, both scoring and GB’s. Mullins looked pretty good.

Ben was Ben – 15-24 for the game, but 1-6 in the 4th. Needs to get a breather here and there.

Disappointing loss today, but unfortunately not unexpected. We needed to play a near-perfect game. We didn’t do it. Hard to believe another Memorial Day without Cuse at the Final Four. Harder to believe that, at Syracuse, offense is the main problem.

Congrats to the Seniors. They turned the season around after some devastating losses. Best of luck in the future. And here’s hopes for an even longer season next year.

LGO!!!

One more thing regarding the curious choice of venue for the quarterfinals. The staff was woefully unprepared for the number of attendees. I went down at halftime to go to the men's room, and thought the ridiculously long line was for that. No, it was for the concessions. I waltzed into the bathroom (pee troughs!!!!) Someone seated near me went down before the 2nd qtr ended, and came back mid-way though the 3rd qtr - empty-handed. He just got tired of standing in a line that didn't move.

Awful job - either by the NCAA or Brown. Or both.

I agree with your summary. My wife had the same issue with concessions. Street parking wasn't as bad as I anticipated but I arrived an hour early. If they want to bring the quarterfinals back to the area, it should be at Gillette and that's it. There's just no reason to have it at a stadium like that. It's a bad look for the NCAA.

One more thing regarding the curious choice of venue for the quarterfinals. The staff was woefully unprepared for the number of attendees. I went down at halftime to go to the men's room, and thought the ridiculously long line was for that. No, it was for the concessions. I waltzed into the bathroom (pee troughs!!!!) Someone seated near me went down before the 2nd qtr ended, and came back mid-way though the 3rd qtr - empty-handed. He just got tired of standing in a line that didn't move.

Awful job - either by the NCAA or Brown. Or both.
The field looked awful on TV. It was like the rough at Augusta - players were falling all over, and it took both teams a minute to realize that bounce shots were out of the question.

Not sure if you could tell on TV but the field had a major crown. Not sure how many newer grass fields have the same crown as the older facilities. It was clear that the boys aren't used to playing on grass.

As others have said, you couldn't leave your seat to gets water or food without missing 30 mins of the game

CreaseRat said:
Not sure if you could tell on TV but the field had a major crown. Not sure how many newer grass fields have the same crown as the older facilities. It was clear that the boys aren't used to playing on grass. As others have said, you couldn't leave your seat to gets water or food without missing 30 mins of the game

It returns to Hofstra next year. Much better facility.

Yale Bowl would be a great spot.

It returns to Hofstra next year. Much better facility.

Yale Bowl would be a great spot.
Yale bowl, Harvard, Penn would have all been much better Ivy options

The field looked awful on TV. It was like the rough at Augusta - players were falling all over, and it took both teams a minute to realize that bounce shots were out of the question.
I didn't think the field looked bad in person, but watching a replay, I could see what you mean.

Last thought. It was obvious that everyone in the stands saw MD setting moving/illegal picks all game. All game. People gave up yelling about it there were so many. Wonder why the refs didn't call any...:noidea:

Regarding our offense there really was no one yesterday who was good enough to draw a slide.For the most part even their shorties could handle us one on one.We really didn't have any "stars" on offense this year. Donahue is a very good player but even he cannot draw a double when he dodges. What we have on offense are a bunch of guys with great stick skills but are over-matched athletically (generally too slow) when we play the elite teams.

CreaseRat said:
Not sure if you could tell on TV but the field had a major crown. Not sure how many newer grass fields have the same crown as the older facilities. It was clear that the boys aren't used to playing on grass. As others have said, you couldn't leave your seat to gets water or food without missing 30 mins of the game

College lacrosse is a amateur hour. From the tournament sites, seeding and the refs.

Last thought. It was obvious that everyone in the stands saw MD setting moving/illegal picks all game. All game. People gave up yelling about it there were so many. Wonder why the refs didn't call any...:noidea:
The moving pick is a big part of UMd's offense. Sometimes it gets called. Not yesterday.

Rambo got 2 goals that directly resulted from the tactic, including the Terps first one of the game.

i thought maybe a goalie change to start the fourth was an option. sometimes it shakes things up. molloy wasn't stopping anything anyhow. even the clean looks. and kudos to the terps for executing their game plan. they slowed the pace and played great D. maltz clearly was on a revenge mission, like a some samurai b-movie he made us pay dearly for past wrongs.

TERRAPINFRT.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom