Thoughts on Hopkins and Some General Musings | Syracusefan.com

Thoughts on Hopkins and Some General Musings

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
I have watched a few Hop games this year plus most of yesterdays game against UVA. Interesting matchups for both teams.

Hop's offense is much improved from last year with the additions of the Frosh Collison and Melendez the transfer from Marquette. Collison has really come on and I believe the last two opponents have put a pole on him. SU would be wise to put Olexxo on him from the start. This shouldn't be a repeat of last year when SU put a shorty on Schutz and he dominated until we made a switch. Angelus is their main set up guy as he has 18 assists which is three times more then the next closest guy. To me this seems like a draw for Clary but Petro sometimes likes to switch things up a bit so I guess Caccamo could draw him. Either guy should have strict instructions to not slide as Angelus is looking to pass not to score, he only has six goals on the year. Degnon is their long distance guy (though Collison can rip it) but isn't much of a dodging threat. UVA put one of their better defenders on him yesterday and he was completely shut down. I wouldn't be shocked if SU actually tried short sticking him as Melendez the third attackmen will require a pole ( I am assuming Koy/Dwan).

As I mentioned before Collison has really come on as a Frosh and has 14 pts (13,1). He's not much of a feeder so when he goes he's likely to shoot. He should be polled from the get go, this is Olexxo all day. The real question will be if SU is OK putting a shorty on him or they want to double pole the midfield. I am not a huge fan of shorting Degnon but under no circumstances can Collison not have a long pole defender, as such if SU has to double pole they shouldn't hesitate. Hop will also rotate in some decent backups who are threats to score in Krampf, Pesko, Bauer etc. Hop isn't' a great dodging team but much like UNC if you give these gusy time and room they are going to bury it. SU's sliding issues are a major concern here as they have a bad habit of leaving guys open on ill-timed slides or secondary slides being way late. If I was Petro I would tell the defense to be extremely slow to the slide to pretty much everyone save for Collison. It will burn you a few times but should limit the open looks for Degnon, Melendez, Collison which Hop is looking to create. Hop's man up has struggled a lot this year but has started to come on a bit and I think had 2 or 3 man up goals against UVA. SU would be wise to try and limit the penalties.

From an O standpoint, Hop has a good but not great defense. Mazzone and Scott Smith are probably the two best defenders, Mazzone is an AA and an excellent LSM. He will likely draw Thomson though at some point a team is going to actually pole Birtwistle. Szuluk is a good defender but has been banged up. He's back in the lineup for Hop but not sure if he's 100%. I assume Smith on Spallina and Mazzone on Thomson with Szuluk on Hiltz. Hop won't hesitate to double though with SU's offense passing ability I am not sure how effective that will be. Hop did a really good job on Schellenberger but really struggled with the other two attackmen who had 6 goals a piece including a back up as Cormier was out hurt. Syracuse really needs to see big game from Hiltz, he has been way way to quiet so far this year. Kirst could be in for another hat trick as he should have a decent matchup as Hop will play straight up for large portions of the game.

I've mentioned it before but at some point if your SU you have to consider moving Thomson to attack. I don't think he has 1 6 on 6 goal the last three games. He's drawing each teams LSM obviously but he just doesn't look comfortable out there and is zero threat to dodge and shoot ala Curry or Dordevic. I would give real though to rotate him with Kirst on that third spot and give Rhoa some run with the 1st line. The offense overall has been pretty good all year, turnovers have been an issue at times and was an albatross in the third quarter versus Duke last weekend. With the issues at the X, SU has to limit the dumb turnovers. Marcille Hop's goalie has been good and probably the best keeper they have had in a long time. That said he's just over 50% on the year and is allowing almost 13 goals a game. He's capable of a big game but again he's someone I expect SU to be able to score on assuming we have the ball.

Faceoffs and GB's are my major concerns (shocking I know) on Saturday. Hop has 1-2 combo with Dunn and Callahan. Narewski who has been out all year and their #1 guy came back for UVA and took 4 draws. He went 1-4 but seemed OK physically. No idea how many draws he will see on Saturday as he is still working his way back. I assume Dunn will take the majority of the draws with Narewski taking a half dozen or so. From an SU standpoint it looks like were going to run Richiusa out there and hope for the best. Fine took a few last game but was then pulled and never seen again. Gait was fairly harsh in his comments on the faceoff crew in the Duke postgame, but it's hard to see what if any changes SU will make. Perhaps SU gives Fine an extended look or maybe even tries Gibbs but history says we will see Richiusa about 90% of the time and cross our fingers. I'll save a deeper dive for another post but the fact that the staff didn't bring in another FOGO to help Richiusa looks like a massive error.

I think SU matches up fairly well with Hop but again its the little things that concern me. Wing play is a perfect example. Hop has a very good shorty on the wing (Jack Hawley) who will be a major PIA on Saturday. SU has to strongly consider personnel change on the wings. The current combos have not been good and to be honest have been really bad at times. Gait keeps acknowledging its a problem but the same crew keeps rotating in and out, mindboggling. Hopkins does turn the ball over A LOT, SU will need to be ready to take advantage and limit the TO's themselves. It also wouldn't hurt if SU decided to put a ride on at least a few times a game. We have really stopped challenging clears after doing a heck of a job against Vermont which is even more puzzling. I suspect a close game but worry the X and Defense will again be our downfall.

Last edited:
i highly doubt petro's going to be shorting degnon, as he's a scorer from anywhere inside the box and you don't want a shorty recovering to him. & he's got 7 goals his last 2 games after a slow start. and can dodge some, taking one to the rack for a midrange yesterday. you may see more of krampf, who rotated at both mid and att yesterday. i don't love shorting a finisher, actually i hate it, but d-coord's seem to think it's useful.

other than umd and to a lesser degree unc, cuse has had a large bias to teams having to score via unassisted. as hopkins doesn't have a lot of elite dodgers, that may be advantage cuse.

I think SU matches up fairly well with Hop but again its the little things that concern me. Wing play is a perfect example. Hop has a very good shorty on the wing (Jack Hawley) who will be a major PIA on Saturday.
you would think that if anyone knows how to gameplan for hawley it would be the cuse defensive coordinator

you would think that if anyone knows how to gameplan for hawley it would be the cuse defensive coordinator

He definitely knows him pretty well, lol.

I believe Degnon did actually get one goal dodging against their lsm or third long pole yesterday. He has some decent dodging ability. Not too fast but you dont want him getting his hands free at all. Still think you pole Collison Angelus Melendez and Degnon and trust your ssdsms with the rest. Priority there being Collison and Angelus who is having quite the passing season like you mentioned. Grimes, Bauer, Kramf, Phillips, and Peshko maybe draw a slide sometimes but its better than leaving one of those top 4 guys with a scary match up.

Personally think now is not the time to try Thomson for Kirst. We need at least one traditional scary dodger on that attack line. Kirst is on a roll right now. Maybe trying to keep pace with his little brother so he doesn't hog the spotlight or something, but whatever the reason he is looking big strong fast and motivated out there. Not only is he looking strong off the dodge but does a good job of keeping his head up and passing when he draws a slide. He is also shooting a phenomenal 43%, the best of any of our consistent offensive guys. At least for now, think it would be better to ride the hot hand.

U can tell Kirst is way more comfortable playing attack just like Simmons is more comfortable at midfield. Kirst has been so much more productive at attack so I think their better off leaving him there too. The offense is young and the last two games Kirst has taking pressure off Spallina. Like even in OT I would have loved if Gait took a TO and drew up a play to get the ball to the 5th yr Captain. Would feel much better win or lose with it in his hands at this time of the season. Maybe that changes as the season goes but right now I trust the ball in the veterans stick. I really like the attack and 1st midfield line how it is right now.

U can tell Kirst is way more comfortable playing attack just like Simmons is more comfortable at midfield. Kirst has been so much more productive at attack so I think their better off leaving him there too. The offense is young and the last two games Kirst has taking pressure off Spallina. Like even in OT I would have loved if Gait took a TO and drew up a play to get the ball to the 5th yr Captain. Would feel much better win or lose with it in his hands at this time of the season. Maybe that changes as the season goes but right now I trust the ball in the veterans stick. I really like the attack and 1st midfield line how it is right now.
Gait be an active participant during a game or timeout? Drawing up a play? Your asking way too much of the man based on what we have seen.

Gait be an active participant during a game or timeout? Drawing up a play? Your asking way too much of the man based on what we have seen.

He's the type of coach who allows his coaches to do there jobs during games. When you win ppl say that's great he does that but when u lose he's the HC and u wonder why isn't he coaching his team up. He should have called a TO and let March draw up a play. I mean in that situation u want ur best players taking that shot and a good quality shot. I have no issue with Jackson taking it he's been one of our best players but u have to call a TO especially we're a young team. Settle the guys down and put them in the best opportunity to win the game. I like Kirst getting it just because he was having a great game and he's the seasoned vet who will stay calm and take a quality shot. As good as Spallina is I still rather the vet take it. Hopefully Gait realized he should have called the TO and next time use it. It's no guarantee we win the game but damn we might have. Same as when I rewatched the game and the ref gave Duke possession on the sideline ughh it eats at me. We might not have won be we might have. Such a big game this team needed so it stings a little more. Now Saturday is a MUST win.

c3d1996d-7399-489b-ad4e-450b20437370-large16x9_UntitledSequence.04.jpg

Gait call a TO in OT and draw up a play? What a novel thought. Only at least 90% of coaches in men's D1 lax would have done that. (I'm being sarcastic of course. Not meant as a knock on you. Of course he should have called OT.)

Gait call a TO in OT and draw up a play? What a novel thought. Only at least 90% of coaches in men's D1 lax would have done that. (I'm being sarcastic of course. Not meant as a knock on you. Of course he should have called OT.)

I know you didn't mean anything toward me so all good. Everyone is saying the same it was mind boggling that he didn't. Especially being this team is so young. Like I said earlier let's just hope next time he calls the TO.

I know you didn't mean anything toward me so all good. Everyone is saying the same it was mind boggling that he didn't. Especially being this team is so young. Like I said earlier let's just hope next time he calls the TO.
Thanks. I'm glad we're good. I wonder if it's Gait's relative lack of experience coaching mens lacrosse. Five plus years ago I wrote ADJW that it was time to replace Desko and Gait would be the best choice. I'm wondering if I was right about Gait.

Thanks. I'm glad we're good. I wonder if it's Gait's relative lack of experience coaching mens lacrosse. Five plus years ago I wrote ADJW that it was time to replace Desko and Gait would be the best choice. I'm wondering if I was right about Gait.

Still way to early to know anything concrete but I wasn't a huge fan of the Gait hire. Thought he had been out of the mens game to long and thought a guy like Shea would have been a much better fit even though SU would have had to go outside the "family" so to speak. I still like Gait but I don't love the laid back style, feels like Desko on steroids and the opposite of what the program needs. There's a few other things that give me pause if this is gonna work long term but don't want to get crazy.

Still way to early to know anything concrete but I wasn't a huge fan of the Gait hire. Thought he had been out of the mens game to long and thought a guy like Shea would have been a much better fit even though SU would have had to go outside the "family" so to speak. I still like Gait but I don't love the laid back style, feels like Desko on steroids and the opposite of what the program needs. There's a few other things that give me pause if this is gonna work long term but don't want to get crazy.
I generally agree. I also have pause. I wonder if he's really a coach. Could be too laid back and not as involved as a coach usually is. I heard last Summer from a very reliable source that halfway through last season he had "lost the lockerroom". I asked this person if he could win it back this year and they said it usually doesn't happen. Hmmm. I guess we'll know if we lose some good players.

I wonder if Shea would have been interested. He has everything he needs in New Haven to sustain and build success.

If SU just had opened the search up and looked outside of Manley field house that would have been nice. The same thing just happened with men’s basketball.

I wonder if Shea would have been interested. He has everything he needs in New Haven to sustain and build success.
except scholarships. and security knowing your conference won't shut down sports while everyone else in the country figures out a way to continue playing

there's a reason so many head coaches have left the ivy league (tambroni, tierney, tillman, milliman, tiffany). if cuse had reached out to shay, he would have at least entertained it

Hindsight is 20/20.. I felt he didn’t call a time out because they had a play arranged and he will save it in case someone got in trouble. Just a thought.

i may not remember it 100, but didn't desko refrain from calling to's often in that situation? there have been plenty of occasions where uva didn't. i don't recall what personnel duke had on the field, but i was surprised birtwistle took the kind of head down/tied up shot he did. the opportunity to take a to was seeing before that that there wasn't a whole lot of effective offense or movement going on.

Gait calls a timeout and Duke has a opportunity to set up their defense.

Who has the advantage?

Obviously Gait trusts his offensive players to make good decisions. We had an opening, we went to the cage, and we got a shot off.

Desko would have called the TO. We would have ****ed around for 80 seconds and NOT gotten a shot off and still lost.

Who has the advantage?

Obviously Gait trusts his offensive players to make good decisions. We had an opening, we went to the cage, and we got a shot off.

Desko would have called the TO. We would have ****ed around for 80 seconds and NOT gotten a shot off and still lost.
about one quarter of the way down in the link. .2 goals scored in the 4th after a timeout. this is not exact as conceivably timeouts can be called on out of bounds plays when on defense, after an opponent scores to stem a run (the author isn't a lifelong lax guy, but a stats guy who has taken to lacrosse... he doesn't fully consider all this as a difference b/t 3rd and 4th quarter timeouts... in the 1st and 3rd, these are much more likely).
BUT, 0.2 goals in the next minute is essentially scoring 12 goals per game. this was a lower scoring era, but decent offenses went for 12 goals per game. so 2 years of stats showed no real major bump in scoring (plus 4th 1/4 timeouts for oob on defense or to stem a run or run out the clock). think most (80+%?) 4th quarter timeouts are to get a look on offense.

Who has the advantage?

That is true too. I mean JB didnt take a great shot he should have held off knowing there was plenty of time on the clock. U can't fault him tho he has been solid so far this season. If he scores and win no one says anything about the TO. I mean I still would rather him take the TO being the team is young and settle em down. Set up a play and not care if Duke gets the D they want out there but that might be what he was thinking and chose to let 'em go.

Offense is efficient and effective this year with Gait/March making decisions. More than one might think when you consider possession disparity due to troubles at the x and with groundballs. Tied for 15th in shot percentage and 20th in points per game (even with play at the x and that home opener). Also tied for second in fewest turnovers per game. Meanwhile the defense coach who yells his asz off about something every 1.5 seconds and loudly explains all sorts of things in detail in timeouts has needed miraculous goalie play and bad luck/shooting from opposing offenses to not be giving up 20+ in the last three games. And here we are harping about a situation in which a timeout could have potentially been better but there are arguments for not calling one too? Just silly.

That isn't to say I am completely out on Petro. I have liked most of his choices with match ups and we have far better depth of talent on the offensive end this season. The offense is still not perfect and will deal with setbacks and rough stretches as the season goes on. But I have no idea what puts Gaits coaching style under the microscope this year. Top 9 on offense features 4 true freshman and 2 new transfers and they are still showing legit signs of chemistry in the early part of the season. Adjustments to where and when we play personnel have paid off. The jump to negativity that so many take with this guy is so annoying.

One thing I'd really like to start seeing is taking advantage of having a goalie that makes a lot of saves and usually a lot of clean saves, and push the ball up the field faster. Now I don't if throwing longer outlet passes is not Mark's forte but I watch a lot of other teams that do this constantly and I just don't understand why Syracuse doesn't look to do the same? I though Gait talked last season about going to back to a style of pushing the pace more and while I understand the circumstances can change game to game, just doesn't feel like we're seeing any indication of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom